HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:01 PM

And Nichols released. I feel bad for anyone who plunked down $40 or whatever it was on one of these:

Nichols was a good QB but I think his relationship with Bombers fans can be best described as 'it's complicated'. While I think he will be remembered as a generally respected and well-regarded Blue Bomber, I don't think he was ever really the QB we all hoped he would be.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:35 PM

That style of hat, 39thirty, are my fav new era hats.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:07 PM

And hopefully Streveler will come back. I can’t imagine him being much more than a practice roster player in the NFL at this stage of his development as a passer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:10 PM

Depends on the money. How much do 3rd string nfl QB's make?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Depends on the money. How much do 3rd string nfl QB's make?
Just for fun I took a look at the Vikes… the backup, Sean Mannion, made $805,000 base in 2019. Jake Browning is under contract as a backup for 2020 at $510,000. (Incidentally, both numbers are way lower than I would have expected considering that Kirk Cousins will earn $29,500,000 base in 2020.)

So as a number three guy it would seem safe to say that Strev would be making under $500K US, which is not bad money for holding a clipboard most of the time, but obviously the goal would be to become a starter whether QB or at some other position and then really watch the cash roll in.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:05 PM

So making $500k US as an example vs half that in Canadian funds. You can see where the temptation lies. And for these guys who have a fairly short career, seems like a solid choice. Depends on the contract though I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:38 PM

Strevler is a waiting game. His statements basically read that if he doesn't land a NFL deal and the Bombers are offering a contract its the only place in the CFL he wants to play. Or in other words he has no plans to aggressively pursue free agent opportunities.

With McGuire under contract as a number 2 or 3 the Bombers have time to wait out Strevler.

At this point the bigger concern is Jefferson as his CFL intentions should the NFL fall through are unclear and the Bombers don't have great alternatives currently for his position.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:21 PM

^ If Jefferson doesn't resign, the Bombers should go after Ja'Gared Davis... I think he would be an adequate replacement. Maybe not 100% as good as Jefferson, but let's say almost as good.

I'm not too worried about Streveler personally... he is a huge fan favourite but let's face it, as a QB he's not what I'd call an essential part of the offense.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:19 PM

The challenge with Jefferson is free agency is in two weeks. Do the Bombers go all in on a replacement at that time or do they wait until everyone worth while has signed elsewhere?

In terms of Strevler its hard to ignore he excels at his specialization like few others, than being a short yardage QB. He is basically a fullback doing play calls, hand offs, runs and short passes. He is definitely not starting QB material yet.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:31 PM

They may have trouble re-signing Jefferson unfortunately. He already had a big contract and will be a big fish in free agency if he comes back. And I think they are paying Collaros more than Nichols was making.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:00 PM

CFL free agency is just around the corner but today the Bombers released Strevler to pursue NFL deals. From the Tweets coming out it seems the NFL deal for him is very likely getting announced this week.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
CFL free agency is just around the corner but today the Bombers released Strevler to pursue NFL deals. From the Tweets coming out it seems the NFL deal for him is very likely getting announced this week.
Apparently with the Cardinals. I read somewhere that he is the first CFL QB to sign a deal in the NFL since Casey Printers in 06, which is pretty amazing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:27 PM

^^ I cannot find a good source but I have heard that before college, etc his home growing up was in Arizona so a deal with the Cardinals would definitely make sense if the team was interested.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:39 PM

Streveler has apparently had a lot of contact with the Dolphins as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:41 PM

If his career is anything like Printers, he’ll be back quickly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:48 PM

Casey Printers. ha. Haven't heard that name in a while.

If Strev does come back to CFL, it'll probabaly be mid-season after NFL camps. Unless workouts in the near future go terrible. Based on his comments, Bombers are the only team he'd come back to. What if the Blue don't want him back at that point?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 6:59 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Casey Printers. ha. Haven't heard that name in a while.

If Strev does come back to CFL, it'll probabaly be mid-season after NFL camps. Unless workouts in the near future go terrible. Based on his comments, Bombers are the only team he'd come back to. What if the Blue don't want him back at that point?
Lol who wouldn't want the guy? An absolute legend.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If his career is anything like Printers, he’ll be back quickly.
Lucky for Strev you probably could not find two more polar opposites in terms of personality and how they are regarded by fellow players. To say Streveler is respected and beloved is putting it mildly... even players for other teams like Streveler, while Printers was infamously kicked out of his former team's locker room when he attempted to come back for a visit after his NFL tenure ended.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Lol who wouldn't want the guy? An absolute legend.
I'd agree. But maybe Collaros is doing awesome, and McGuire is doing well as a back-up.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:39 PM

I get it that Streveler is going down to make his money, it totally makes sense. But he is a long way from being a competent passer yet that would lead to him having a key role on an NFL team. He has to the make the cash but might get tired of the no-fun-league after a while. In the meantime, Bombers probably want to bring in some prospects. Or turn Andrew Harris into a backup QB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan