HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:17 PM

Not really!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
YOU MUST ALSO LACK THE VISION!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 7:54 PM

FYI, from the view of my residential building the cranes have been raised yet once again. And one crane is as high as the Weston Centre buidling!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
FYI, from the view of my residential building the cranes have been raised yet once again. And one crane is as high as the Weston Centre buidling!
They were raised last weekend.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 7:54 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Being this pointlessly contrarian is very boring.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:55 AM
James

For Jack.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
For Jack.

Wow! There's no denying that floor anymore

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:07 AM
SA 24th largest city

Come on boys. This building is not too impressive. Perhaps because you've been jonesing for a scraper for so long, you see it for more than what it is. It's very similar to its grandad over on 410 except for the crown. At least the footprint of the 410 building carries a varied polygonal shape. The new tower is a predictable octagon or whatever.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ I'm rightfully skipping over that last comment and going straight to jaga's photo. Awesome! Thanks for posting it. That looks like one hell of a conference room (or lounge, or Spurs practice half court, or whatever it is).

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:24 PM

@JACKinBT, I think were all skipping over that as well!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:26 PM
Meh

Quote:
Come on boys. This building is not too impressive. Perhaps because you've been jonesing for a scraper for so long, you see it for more than what it is. It's very similar to its grandad over on 410 except for the crown. At least the footprint of the 410 building carries a varied polygonal shape. The new tower is a predictable octagon or whatever.
My one major complaint about the building is that it isn't taller, but I say that about every building.

Otherwise, my next complaint would be that it looks "too squat" - but that's in reference to my first complaint. For what's worth, I probably spend more time saying that about the Frost Bank Tower in Austin than I do about any other design aspect of it.

My third complaint, which, again, is related to my first one, is that eventually the building will be obscured from view in the skyline as taller buildings go up around downtown. I never thought in a million years that I'd see the Frost Bank Tower go up in Austin being as tall as it is, and further still, I never thought I'd be wishing it were taller just so that it doesn't get lost in the crowd as it does sometimes. My position on both buildings is that they're stellar designs, and I want them both to be prominent buildings for years just because they are so good.

I think the Frost Bank Headquarters is a building you'll have to see up close in the daytime to appreciate because of the twist that the facade does. And at night, no doubt, you'll have to see it from afar - among the skyline, to really appreciate it. I can't wait to see it lit.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:

Make sure and let Pellini, the WORLD KNOWN ARCHITECT know about your comments! Pellini must grow in his designs, even though he has mastered the field!

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

I agree with you word for word, Kevin. I wish Frost Austin were even 50 feet taller... it would make a difference. I think this one will have a more lasting effect because of its location on the edge of downtown SA, but I still wish for even 50 more feet. Otherwise it's off the charts!

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:45 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Make sure and let Pellini, the WORLD KNOWN ARCHITECT know about your comments! Pellini must grow in his designs, even though he has mastered the field!

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
Please get your names correct. It's Pelli not Pellini. Not every design by great architects are a highrise homerun. This is certainly the case here considering his world class reputation. Sorry you didn't get your 58 story tower, but the truth hurts sometimes. Perhaps the passing over by others of my previous post is a way of showing my statement cuts too deep. Perhaps it's over their head. If they cannot see the aesthetic similarities in the current tower and the 80's version, then there's no need for me to read their reply anyway. They lack the vision while being blinded by wishful thinking.Thank you Kevin for a civil reply.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:15 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Please get your names correct. It's Pelli not Pellini. Not every design by great architects are a highrise homerun. This is certainly the case here considering his world class reputation. Sorry you didn't get your 58 story tower, but the truth hurts sometimes. Perhaps the passing over by others of my previous post is a way of showing my statement cuts too deep. Perhaps it's over their head. If they cannot see the aesthetic similarities in the current tower and the 80's version, then there's no need for me to read their reply anyway. They lack the vision while being blinded by wishful thinking.Thank you Kevin for a civil reply.
I think you confuse not agreeing with someone’s opinion and not engaging with as you described, “cuts too deep”.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your “statement” and have no desire to address it, as it would serve zero purposes. I’d assume the others feel the same.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:36 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I think you confuse not agreeing with someone’s opinion and not engaging with as you described, “cuts too deep”.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your “statement” and have no desire to address it, as it would serve zero purposes. I’d assume the others feel the same.
The purpose that may be served is a back and forth discussion of the design of this particular building- as what takes place in the entirety of all forums on this or any web page forum. I have seen that you have engaged others many times before with your opinion. Should I read into the reasoning that you and the others are unwilling to prop your opinions up on the table. Perhaps my "over their head" statement has merit. I do agree with your quantifying the addressing this with "zero purpose." The building has been designed and construction executed. Any debate on that note is irrelevant but can still be rebutted for fun. Guess not.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:10 AM

The frost tower design is beautiful and it is not mediocre in the slightest. It will be the sixth tallest building downtown and I don't understand all the negativity for it is not your typical cookie-cutter office tower that you see being built in some other cities. It may not be Pelli's best design to date but it will surely complement the historical office building stock that surrounds it. This project will definitely serve as a catalyst for other great things to come along the new San Pedro Creek linear park like the area around the Alameda (TPR), but there is much needed help in the vicinity of the Soap Works apartments area, not very pleasing to the eye.

Hopefully we will see some other great projects built next to the Frost tower and the much needed new designated downtown district aimed towards creating more of an employment/residential sector. With the respectable corporate base in this city and our fast growing economy it would only make sense that this area of downtown were to see some kind of building boom. However, I can't forget what city this is again, it's S.A., the city that doesn't move very fast other than its population growth and crazy drivers.

In short, I am happy with the progress that we are seeing downtown , I just wish projects would move a little faster like in other cities.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; May 2, 2018 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 7:23 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
The purpose that may be served is a back and forth discussion of the design of this particular building- as what takes place in the entirety of all forums on this or any web page forum. I have seen that you have engaged others many times before with your opinion. Should I read into the reasoning that you and the others are unwilling to prop your opinions up on the table. Perhaps my "over their head" statement has merit. I do agree with your quantifying the addressing this with "zero purpose." The building has been designed and construction executed. Any debate on that note is irrelevant but can still be rebutted for fun. Guess not.
It serves no purpose because there is no need for a back and forth on the design. You seem to be the only person with a contradictory opinion on the design. Besides that, the overly sensational way you decided to state that opinion is another reason why I and others chose not to engage you. It came off more as baiting then trying to engage in a genuine discussion on the design and it’s merits.

Your subsequent replies seem to further your baiting technique.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 10:18 AM

Don't even respond to those kind of posts.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
If you want people to engage with you, try not insulting them. You seem to appreciate that approach, as you thanked Kevin for doing exactly that.

Another tactic is to give the building's design some degree of merit. You may not like it, but you could point out something like that fact that it is unlike any other building in the world in its exact design, and that its 8 sides complement the nearby Tower Life Building very nicely.

I have stated my enthusiastic lack of enthusiasm for 1603 Broadway. But in doing so I have pointed out exactly what I don't like about the design while making sure I spoke only about the building, and not the worth of the people who feel differently than I do. As a result, people who disagree with me have engaged in conversation with me, and vice versa.

Food for thought. I look forward to a thoughtful reply.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio