HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:55 PM
arf

Don't hold your breath. But every day I see movement is a good day because this is definitely a huge development for Regina.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:37 PM

It seems like a lot of effort to go through to just be messing with people. All the piles, shoring, etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:01 PM
arf

^The issue now is not with them intentionally messing with people, but actually being able to develop a pretty big building. I would not be shocked to see any of the following results: a giant hole in the ground, a concrete shell like the Hotel Pyongyang, anything in between or even a completed building.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:41 PM

You also have to look at this this way. They may be willing to sink tens of thousands of dollars into this project to help support their larger plan: that is, financing other projects in other cities.

Yes, it is promising, and maybe they will. But they could just as easily be spending some money here as a larger fundraising campaign with no intention of actually finishing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:52 PM

Let's say that investing $100,000 in advertising is expected to get you $5,000,000 in sales for condo units. Well, consider this advertising for other markets (where people are ignorant of the issues with Capital Point and Fortress). They might consider it worthwhile to spend a bunch of money that will go nowhere if it convinces people to buy units elsewhere. They could be faking it until they make it, basically.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:58 PM
arf

^^A valid point.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:22 PM

LOL....everyone is so skeptical of this project.
Personally, I won't be convinced its actually happening until I see someone BBQing on their 25th floor balcony......even then, I may need to smell burning sauce to be completely convinced.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 10:12 PM

^ As in SkyCity in Winnipeg. They've sold 150 units out of 388. Want to get to 200 units by next December. Then start construction the following year I believe. That may actually happen.

I won't believe til they're BBQ'ing on the 44th floor terrace! Two new tallest's for Winnipeg and Regina by the same company. Hmmmmmmm..... Coincidence? Or just plain thievery? We'll find out eventually.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
LOL....everyone is so skeptical of this project.
Personally, I won't be convinced its actually happening until I see someone BBQing on their 25th floor balcony......even then, I may need to smell burning sauce to be completely convinced.
I'll be a true believer when the crews FULLY remove the Plains' foundation/basement.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:15 PM

What's the bet that they'll get the parking garage portion finished, but no further?

Actually, shouldn't these corporations be required to have financing in place before digging a big hole to begin with?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:52 PM

Like I said before, and I'll says it again. They were likely required to clean up the site, by the Cities reg's or just from a sale value point of view. Removing that nest of rebar and concrete. Then they could fill the hole in and sell it.

Since they've been installing piles for shoring, I think it's piles anyways, seems like they're building something.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 11:39 PM

If they are actually, legitimately exerting their best efforts to complete this project, the resulting new residents and hotel/restaurant and their patrons may be able to inject some livelihood into this part of the west side of downtown, and make this aarea more contiguous with the surrounding areas, including the rest of downtown, Cathedral area, and maybe even the to-be-revitalized (Old) Mosaic Stadium area, as every time I drive past this intersection (Albert St. and Victoria Ave.), this location seems a little isolated and disconnected from the activeness in the relevant areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
What's the bet that they'll get the parking garage portion finished, but no further?
Well, even if they get no further than the parking structure, if it is deemed safe and suitable, it might be good if they could allocate it for extra public parking.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 12:47 AM

That's one thing that Regina lacks. Our three "lively" areas (Cathedral, central downtown, Dewdney) are physically separated. Saskatoon has the same issue where there's (Broadway, 2nd Avenue, 20th Street) are separated.

That's one thing you really notice in larger centres. Getting from urban to urban is easy.

Capital Pointe acts as that connection between downtown and Cathedral. The RRI acts as that connection from downtown to Dewdney. If both projects are done successfully central Regina is going to be a lot more lively.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
That's one thing that Regina lacks. Our three "lively" areas (Cathedral, central downtown, Dewdney) are physically separated. Saskatoon has the same issue where there's (Broadway, 2nd Avenue, 20th Street) are separated.

That's one thing you really notice in larger centres. Getting from urban to urban is easy.

Capital Pointe acts as that connection between downtown and Cathedral. The RRI acts as that connection from downtown to Dewdney. If both projects are done successfully central Regina is going to be a lot more lively.
Do we know of what sidewalk and streetscape improvements are included with Capital Pointe?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Do we know of what sidewalk and streetscape improvements are included with Capital Pointe?
The City originally required them to have extra wide sidewalks with a double row of trees. They had they same requirements for the Anderson office building on 11th and Albert and that is just a gravel mess so far.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:40 PM
arf

^Yeah, there's space at the Anderson Building for some nice landscaping. I can't imagine snow removal on that corner is going to be very fun this winter.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 5:44 PM

Found this from years back:

Quote:
Westgate Plaza [former name of CP] would feature retail and patio space at street level, "green" roofs and a double row of trees along both Albert Street and Victoria Avenue.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:43 AM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenovaCapital View Post
Oh wow, seeing the site it appears more (although still quite little) has been happening than I thought.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:01 PM

You can see on the webcam that a load of big shoring I-beams has been delivered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan