HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:19 AM

[Suburban SA]Leon Valley: The Barcelona Lofts.

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:32 PM

That looks awesome, but what an odd location...Leon Valley is pretty ugly.

I don't think "loft living" when I think of Leon Valley.
I do think "Mmmm. Chachos' monster nachos" when I think of Leon Valley.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

I think of horrible traffic and strip centers, and backwards-thinking people who fight tooth and nail to preserve both.

But I'm sure there's some Ingram Park Mall employess who will make good use of these lofts.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It is an odd location.

However, this is a fantastic design and something that is ten times better than some typical suburban apartment complex or tract housing. It should be welcomed and commended wherever it goes.

Also, if Bandera Rd ever gets a light rail line who knows what the Leon Valley/Bandera corridor will grow into.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I think of horrible traffic and strip centers, and backwards-thinking people who fight tooth and nail to preserve both.

But I'm sure there's some Ingram Park Mall employess who will make good use of these lofts.
Ingram Park mall employees? Leon valley is just minutes from the MED Center. I'm sure they will be occupied quickly. this is definitley better than typical apts.

I grew up in Leon Valley and just moved back to the area recently. Yes the traffic is horrible, takes me almost 30 minutes to get from Bandera and 1604 to 410 and Bandera. Hopefuly the new interchange we be a blessing.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

lofts? leon valley?

hmm. anyone else seeing apartments with clever branding?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 1:51 AM

They don't look like apts to me.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:27 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
They don't look like apts to me.
hey paul you're right... the inside finishings don't look apartment-ish. very nice actually. i wish things like this existed when i was a renter.

the red flags for me are 1) the units are for rent, not sale and 2) the plan of the complex looks like a big apartment community. check out this diagram.

"loft" living (to me anyway) implies walkability, urban reimagination of a space, and some integration into the community at large.

as nice as the project looks, i think it is a clever developer capturing a lofty look in an otherwise ordinary apartment complex.

i kind of compare it to all of the "ranch" apartments that are popping up along 1604. they all have ranch in the name, but, in essence, are simply apartment complexes with a few more trees.

in a way, apartment living (trust me, i've done my share) has always felt like a crappy version of disney world anyway. every place a theme and all of these "amenities" that you'll never use. whether you stay at the lofts or the ranch or the crossing or the heights, they are all just apartments.

and i guess (ending spiel here) i just feel like with the temporary nature of apartment living, you never get a true community feeling. ownership lends itself to permanence and, thus, makes a huge difference in the attractiveness of a project to me.

ok, sorry... did i get off topic? i like the look of these. just don't like that they're called lofts. (especially when their own websites goes into depth of true "lofty living"...

seriously now. someone ban me before i get started again.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 8:06 PM

Any photos?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 10:44 PM

Nothing like a loft in the Po Po speed trap district. I pass them up everyday on the way home. But how much would you expect from something in the suburbs?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio