HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 7:12 PM

United Football League?

with the Alamo dome, how would a semi pro football League sound?
http://www.ufl-football.com/home
they start there first game next week and are being shown in HDNET... teams in LA, Las Vegas, Orlando Florida, and New York. what about the South? SA?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 11:11 PM

Is this the new "AFL?" Would it be cost effective to play at the Dome?

But while on the subject of expansions, does anyone know where our NPSL expansion team is playing? They're supposed to start next year.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 1:42 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It's the new XFL minus the extreme part.

Seriously, I doubt this last past two if not one season.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 5:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

No. No. No. No.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 8:47 AM

Only 4 teams? Isn't that kind of low even if it is just the premiere season.I would think maybe 6 or 8.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Only 4 teams? Isn't that kind of low even if it is just the premiere season.I would think maybe 6 or 8.
Well make it 6 for the upcoming year.

California, Vegas, NY, Florida and now San Antonio and Omaha.

SA had been mentioned a few times on several articles:
mentioned 29 Jan. in http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ills-interview
Quote:
Gailey was out of work throughout the entire 2009 season, hadn't been an NFL head coach since 1999 and didn't have many alluring employment prospects. Multiple sources tell me Gailey likely would have taken over the new San Antonio franchise in the United Football League had the Bills not made him an offer.
posted a week ago
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,5217697.story

Quote:
Huyghue said it's a major concern in one particular state, Texas, which is where the league is looking to place one of two new expansion teams, considering the appeal of high school football across that state.

The likely location for the Texas UFL squad will be San Antonio, while one more team will be added within the next month. Salt Lake City appears to be a front-runner, while other cities mentioned have been Louisville (Ky.), Portland (Ore.) and Omaha (Neb.) as the UFL looks to move into areas without strong NFL-team ties.
and this was posted today on this blog
http://www.reservationforsix.com/201...n-antonio.html
Quote:
UFL Expansion Teams Will Be San Antonio And Omaha
Billy Kirk of UFL Access is reporting that Omaha and San Antonio will be the UFL's two new cities in 2010. According to kirk, Portland and Salt Lake City were also considered. The two cities that were not picked may be turned into franchises in 2011.

UFL Access called San Antonio the second priority market for the UFL in 2008, with only Los Angeles ahead. If UFL Access' reports are true, the San Antonio franchise will overtake the Locos as the "Golden Franchise".
According to UFL Access here are the UFL's priorities heading into 2011

1.Los Angeles - Could the NFL beat them to it?
2.Oklahoma City - May get a franchise in 2011 that moves here
3.New York City - Bringing the Sentinels back in 2011 could be reality
4.Austin - Won't happen now that San Antonio gets a franchise
5.Portland - Surprised the Redwoods didn't move here
6.Memphis - Read number 8
7.Birmingham - Lots of football talent in this area
8.Louisville - The UFL seems to be focusing on expanding to the west

It must be noted that Salt Lake City was not listed.
oh and in similar news, the Cowboys might be splitting training camp between SA and Oxnard.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 2:33 AM
Paradise

I mean, I think it sounds cool and all, but why not so many teams? Are they planning on becoming a big thing or what? It seems like they're just expanding and expanding until they become a more powerful league.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:07 PM

I would just hate to see something like this affect the growth of UTSA football. Getting butts in the seats is going to be key, if they have to compete with the UFL marketing it could affect the cash flow.

To be able to move up to an 'D1 FBS Indi' UTSA (which is the goal after two years as an 'D1 FCS Indi') has to have a specific average attendance. I think it is around 18,000, i can't remember though. This is why Texas St has and has more plans to expand Bobcat Stadium (there max capacity wasn't big enough to get the avg attendance).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 7:11 PM

That depends on when UFL plays its games. Its likely they won't schedule many games on saturdays for the precise reason that they won't want to compete with college football, because they know they'd lose. Most the markets listed in the above articles have div I football or, in the case of Omaha, are in close proximity to it, so I'd think UFL would be pretty mindful of catching potential crowds when college teams aren't playing.

And in any case, I think there's enough pent-up football energy in SA to support both college and minor league football.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
That depends on when UFL plays its games. Its likely they won't schedule many games on saturdays for the precise reason that they won't want to compete with college football, because they know they'd lose. Most the markets listed in the above articles have div I football or, in the case of Omaha, are in close proximity to it, so I'd think UFL would be pretty mindful of catching potential crowds when college teams aren't playing.

And in any case, I think there's enough pent-up football energy in SA to support both college and minor league football.

I understand what you are saying, but my post wasn't directed at whether SA can financially support the UFL and college football, but rather that whether their games are on M, T, W, Th, F, S, or Su, people are less likely to go to both events. Both UFL and UTSA will be marketing hard because they will both be upstarts. UTSA is going to need all of the money and attention they can to get to where they want to be.

I really hope that a UFL team wouldn't affect it much. I wouldn't expect it to hurt it too much unless the UFL is able catch some momentum over the next couple of years.

I'm sure that most people are more interested in UTSA football.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I understand what you are saying, but my post wasn't directed at whether SA can financially support the UFL and college football, but rather that whether their games are on M, T, W, Th, F, S, or Su, people are less likely to go to both events. Both UFL and UTSA will be marketing hard because they will both be upstarts. UTSA is going to need all of the money and attention they can to get to where they want to be.

I really hope that a UFL team wouldn't affect it much. I wouldn't expect it to hurt it too much unless the UFL is able catch some momentum over the next couple of years.

I'm sure that most people are more interested in UTSA football.
Yeah, I think they are. I honestly don't think the two programs will compete that much because I honestly don't think many SAians will even be aware of the UFL's existence, at least for the first few years. I see it as being much like with the Silver Stars. Those that follow the WNBA are no doubt big fans, but I'd wager most metro residents are blissfully unaware that SA even has a women's professional team (that may have changed since the Stars made the Finals in '08). UTSA football, on the other hand, has a built-in fan base of almost 30,000, plus faculty, plus alumni, plus Larry Coker fans, plus a two year head start in the eye of the local media, plus... you get the idea.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 PM

Just a few random stats and #'s:

UFL cities get 3 homes games each.
The average attendance was above 9K per game.
LV and FL averaged over 10K while Cal and NY averaged between 4-5K with one game in Giants Stadium over 10K.
I think we could float around LVs #'s, and I'm sure the UFL wants SA to beat those #'s.
If we could average 4-6K at Rampage games, and break 10K (dollar beer nights) a few times last year, on top of the fact that there are 40 home games, I'm sure we could swing around and over 10K in 3 UFL home games.
The highest attendance at the Alamodome for the CFL was in '95 - >22K.

I think there are plenty of UTSA alum, parents, family and friends of local recruits and regular fans to do well. Heavily recruiting locals helps guarantee the initial local and regional support will be there, until a true general fan base and support can be built.
Could UTSA lose "fans" to the UFL? maybe a handful, but nothing significant.
UIW's inaugural season didn't "take" any of Trinity's football fans, just as I'm sure that UTSA won't take UIW's, and the UFL probably won't significantly affect UTSA's, or anyones #'s at all.
We'll see.
Speculations on name for team?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 2:45 AM

UTSA football has a much better chance of catching on with local football fans. This UFL/AFL baloney is just a bunch of garbage. These league's are doomed to fail due to lack of support and will only embarrass and disappoint anyone who gets involved with them.

Secondly, San Antonio has a great future as home to an NFL franchise and as such doesn't need to get involved with some half-baked, fly-by-night operations such as these football minor leagues.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 12:54 AM

We had an AFL team here in Austin the Wranglers and they went out of business guess they couldn't compete with UT so I dunno how a team would do in SA hopfully it will do well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:56 AM

I want NFL NFL NFL, for San Antonio, not another stint in the minor league. San Antonio needs to wait for the big time stuff. Those smaller cities can settle, not our Alamo City.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 10:44 AM

No UFL in San Antonio. I don't think anybody was very enthusiastic about the idea anyway.

More opportunities for the UTSA football team to shine. They have recently signed contracts to play against two PAC-10 (Arizona & Arizona State) as well as a Big 12 (Baylor). It is still more than a year before the team even plays their very first game!

http://www.kens5.com/sports/football...-90894054.html

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:35 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

MLS? Anyone?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
No UFL in San Antonio. I don't think anybody was very enthusiastic about the idea anyway.

More opportunities for the UTSA football team to shine. They have recently signed contracts to play against two PAC-10 (Arizona & Arizona State) as well as a Big 12 (Baylor). It is still more than a year before the team even plays their very first game!

http://www.kens5.com/sports/football...-90894054.html
fyi, That's not official and just speculation on the part of KENS.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:10 AM

It is official that they chose Omaha. However, they wanted to expand into 2 new cities so there is still a chance they might choose SA.

Personally, I don't really care. I don't live in the city and wouldn't go to any UFL games.

I do plan to to attend UTSA games (being an alumni). That said, I don't really see the UFL as competition and if they chose SA as the second city, so be it. I would hope that the University and alumni would be able to support the Roadrunners whether or not the UFL comes to town.

I see them selecting Salt Lake City due to the mixed signals they got from the city.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
It is official that they chose Omaha. However, they wanted to expand into 2 new cities so there is still a chance they might choose SA.
That's what I meant as being speculation, that SA was out. I should have been more specific.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio