HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 2:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a few images from the May PAC agenda regarding the new Codiac RCMP Headquarters on Albert Street.

Site Plan:

Elevation:

Render

Not much new here beyond what we already knew, but the render is of better quality, and I think gives a better idea of the external appearances of the building. Also, the connection between the parking lot of this building and Vaughan Harvey Blvd is revealed to be an emergency escape route for RCMP cruisers, and will be controlled by an electronic gate.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:51 PM

I suspect the city will also cut the median on V-H at the emergency exit to facilitate left turn for responding units. It would just make sense.

Looks like the holding cells will be to the right. Small high windows on the facade and two garage doors for the drop off area.

Is it the plan to have all the cruisers and equipment in an underground garage?

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 1:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Is it the plan to have all the cruisers and equipment in an underground garage?
Good question. There appears to be abundant surface parking, but there are 150 RCMP constables on the force, and then there are all the support staff. There are garage entrances on both sides of the building, so underground parking certainly be included.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 1:45 PM

Excavator is digging up the grass in front of City Hall this morning for Gerald LeBlanc park.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:17 PM

Driving down Main Street today I noticed that there were several windows open on the front of the Higgins Block building & that the lights were on inside. Seems like they're doing some work on the interior.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Driving down Main Street today I noticed that there were several windows open on the front of the Higgins Block building & that the lights were on inside. Seems like they're doing some work on the interior.
And the exterior! Windows going into the front now. Either that or they're just using the lift to move drywall and stuff in... though they have a lot of openings for it to be that, and main street wouldn't be the best side for it.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:15 PM

Wow! Night and day! ^^^

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed.

The simple act of putting new windows in the Higgins Block is going to do just as much to improve the overall look and feel of the downtown as a new 15 storey office tower would.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed.

The simple act of putting new windows in the Higgins Block is going to do just as much to improve the overall look and feel of the downtown as a new 15 storey office tower would.
Not to mention that EVEN if there weren't immediate plans to renovate much inside, new windows keep the building from going downhill further, at least, by sealing the weather out better.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Indeed.

Agreed. Any downtown building with boarded up windows creates a bad image. The Higgins block and the one on the corner of Main & King were real eyesores, but now they'll both look so much nicer.

Eventually when these buildings are full of tenants, they'll really add to the vibrancy of downtown. The Higgins building when fully leased will contribute a lot more downtown workers for the surrounding businesses.

I hope the virus doesn't negatively impact downtown expansion too much. Love to see Ashford start something on the Paramount site!

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 5:00 PM

I noticed today that there is a sign on the Keating's Tobacco building: "Now under construction, MacGillivary Law". We knew they were coming. Not sure exactly how many, but more employees will be working in the core of downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Current status of the Hilton Garden Inn

photo from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 22, 2020 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Corrected an egregious error in the name of the hotel

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Current status of the Hyatt Place Hotel

photo from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page
Isn’t the Hyatt Place the one on the corner of main? This one is the new Hilton is it not?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:59 PM

i was about to comment that I'd buy a unit in one of those thinking it was a trendy new condo. That looks really sharp for a Hyatt or Hilton... well done Moncton!!

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Isn’t the Hyatt Place the one on the corner of main? This one is the new Hilton is it not?
Yes, this is the Hilton Garden Inn. The one just out of view and at the intersection with Main street is the Hyatt Place.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yes, my bad, I had a brain fart. It is indeed the Hilton Garden Inn.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:29 PM

Apparently there were planners with paperwork inside the building on the corner of St. George & Archibald. Could we see another downtown building being redeveloped?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...xpTXVL6S&ifg=1

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 8:46 PM

The more I see pictures of Hyatt place and Junction Village, the more I think they made big mistakes by underestimating the size of the market. Hyatt place easily could have had 2-3 more floors if they were condo units. And Junction Village probably could have been 8-10 storey buildings instead of 6. Seeing that new development on Twin Oaks so easily dwarf these downtown developments is discouraging. Awesome for the city, but it still creates sprawl which is the opposite of what the city is going for. Fingers crossed for the developments behind assumption place.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:33 PM

Apparently the city of Moncton is looking into making a portion of Main Street one way. It would allow for a bike lane and more space for outdoor patios. The idea was presented to city council on Monday. Mayor Arnold has said that she thinks it's a great idea.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Apparently the city of Moncton is looking into making a portion of Main Street one way. It would allow for a bike lane and more space for outdoor patios. The idea was presented to city council on Monday. Mayor Arnold has said that she thinks it's a great idea.
Very bad idea. Main Street needs to be two way. If necessary, I could see getting rid of the on street parking on Main Street to create room for expanded patios, or to make things easier for cyclists.

Hopefully if the city does this, it will only be a temporary measure to help downtown bars and restaurants during the pandemic crisis. As a permanent measure however, this will be a disaster.

As I said on a related thread, I have nothing against pedestrianizing certain downtown streets to improve ambience, but these should be side streets, or at least not major thoroughfares. Main Street is just too vital as a cross town connector to make any sense for this move however.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces