HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 8:31 PM

Soaring above Vancouver in Microsoft Flight Simulator

The highly anticipated Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 has now been out for a month and I have been really enjoying flying above our beautiful city.

Taking off from YVR is always a treat.

Heading toward Downtown.

Downtown looks always awesome from the air.

Beautiful Stanley Park.

North Shore Mountains looks fantastic and backmountains are exciting to explore.

I guess the Coal Harbour airport cannot facilitate A320 landing.

Downtown looks great in the game but the map data used is around 5 years old, meaning there are many buildings missing.

Unfortunately only the Vancouver proper is modeled using photogrammetry data. Areas more to the east such as Burnaby and Metrotown are created by the AI algorithm which doesn't yield quite as good or correct results. It still looks fine from high above.

The game engine doesn't even support DX12 or ray tracing, yet, but dusk and dawn look absolutely amazing.

Game's weather engine can generate some really realistic clouds and real-world weather makes flying exciting.

Above nighttime Shaughnessy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 9:24 PM

You can see Pacific Centre Nordstroms under construction with the two roof wells. It has to be at least 2014 because they only covered up the blue protective covering on the roof at the tail end of 2014.

Last edited by jollyburger; Sep 19, 2020 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 10:44 AM

Holy hell, thanks for posting about his. I thought the franchise was dead. You can practically fly anywhere on the planet it seems. Seems like a game we could all use for 2020.

What it managed to do really defies imagination, talk about a truly open world game. I hear the offline space usage is in the 100s of GBs if you choose to install the game that way !

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 11:30 AM

If you can run Cyberpunk 2077, you're probably fine.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 6:48 PM

This is amazing. Thank you for the sharing these pictures.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:08 PM

Would love to try it out, but I don't have an expensive gaming computer...

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:36 AM

That is just stunning, the amount of detail they've been able to put into this game is nothing short of witchcraft.

Heh, a Finnair A320 flying over YVR though, would never happen

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 10:39 AM

Apparently I’ve read, most disappointingly for people here who are skyscraper buffs myself included the detail on the more modern buildings are really not that accurate because the game is using Bing modeling. Funny enough there is some sort of modding/homebrew crowd that is trying to correct them, building by building it seems through using Google’s imagery.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Would love to try it out, but I don't have an expensive gaming computer...

Video Link
You don't need a really expensive one to enjoy the game. With the release of the new 30 series graphics card you could probably get a killer deal on a used 10 series graphics card like the 1080ti which runs the game really well on 1080p 50fps. I'm not sure what card Klazu is using but it appears like he is playing in 1080p as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I guess the Coal Harbour airport cannot facilitate A320 landing.

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more attention. Another aircraft software bug!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:23 AM

Glad you all enjoyed my screenshots! It is indeed a fun game to explore our neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Holy hell, thanks for posting about his. What it managed to do really defies imagination, talk about a truly open world game. I hear the offline space usage is in the 100s of GBs if you choose to install the game that way !
Installation size is roughly 150Gb, so be prepared for ti to take a while to first download and then to load up!

[QUOTE=logan5;9048010]Would love to try it out, but I don't have an expensive gaming computer...

While even the new RTX 3090 cannot offer a completely locked 60fps at 4K, you can run the game quite comfortably with a more modest PC. I am able to run it at 1440p/40fps at ultra graphics (which is perfectly enough for a slow-paced game like FS) using a i9-9900K, 64Gb RAM and RTX 2070 Super.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Heh, a Finnair A320 flying over YVR though, would never happen
Yeah, A320 might be a stretch but I am still hoping to see one of their A350s at YVR one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'm surprised that this isn't getting more attention. Another aircraft software bug!
What do you mean? It was a perfect landing all the way until I realized that I wasn't flying a seaplane.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion