HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:54 AM
Exit 298

I guess SaltCityScrapers has the winning guess.

Still weird to see a $50M religious edifice across the street from Peak Vapor and a Ream's (which I cannot confidently say is still in business or not).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I guess SaltCityScrapers has the winning guess.

Still weird to see a $50M religious edifice across the street from Peak Vapor and a Ream's (which I cannot confidently say is still in business or not).
Reams is still in business. And...Arby's, Fizz, Arctic Circle. The highest caliber of dining options.

I taught at Bennion Jr High (in Taylorsville) for ten years...I'm glad it will be there for residents, hopefully it will bring a boost to their local economy, bring a little development here and there. I kind of like that it's going into a place that's already built out, not taking up some open space.

70,000 square feet is larger than the Oquirrh Mountain and Draper temples by about 10,000 square feet.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:08 AM

Ha, you just answered my question Jedi about sq. footage compared to Oquirrh and Draper. This one will be the same size as Orem. Will be interesting to see their designs. Wouldn't be surprised if Orem and Taylorsville are very similar in appearance.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 8:08 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Ha, you just answered my question Jedi about sq. footage compared to Oquirrh and Draper. This one will be the same size as Orem. Will be interesting to see their designs. Wouldn't be surprised if Orem and Taylorsville are very similar in appearance.
Freeway frontage vs. hilltop.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Freeway frontage vs. hilltop.
They're both right by the freeway, (I-215, I-15), and neither of them is on a hilltop...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:18 AM

Arcadia Phase II (Sandy)

Quote:
$24M Secured for Utah’s Arcadia Apartments II Development
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

https://www.connect.media/24m-secure...i-development/

Last edited by DanskeUtahn; Jan 5, 2020 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:44 AM

Upper West TOD Apartments (West Jordan)

The Upper West Apartments will add 206 units adjacent to the Jordan Valley Station.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

https://bvdincorp.com/portfolio-items/upper-west/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:16 PM

New plans to develop 6,300-unit Olympia Hills development near Herriman under negotiation

By Katie McKellar@KatieMcKellar - https://www.deseret.com/2019/7/8/893...er-negotiation

HERRIMAN — It's round two for a big, Daybreak-like development near Herriman that Salt Lake County officials axed last year amid public outcry.

This time, it's scaled down — but would still bring big changes to west Salt Lake County and Herriman.

The developers of the project, named Olympia Hills, submitted last week their revised zoning application to the county — beginning a review and negotiation process that may make changes to the proposal in coming weeks or months before it goes before the Salt Lake County Council.

"I think we've made it a better project," developer Doug Young told the Deseret News on Monday. "We're encouraged and excited about the future."...

FILE - Land between 6300 West and 8500 West and 12400 South and 13100 South in unincorporated Salt Lake County, foreground, that is proposed for the Olympia Hills development on Monday, March 11, 2019. Steve Griffin, Deseret News

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:40 PM
Space Magi

I can't say that I like the design of this Sandy tower at all. It looks like they just stacked three suburban office park buildings on top of each other and called it good.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I can't say that I like the design of this Sandy tower at all. It looks like they just stacked three suburban office park buildings on top of each other and called it good.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:27 AM
Exit 298

At least it looks like it has some street-level interaction. Are those retail frontages at the base of the garage?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 10:16 AM

Are we actually going to see a 19-story building in Sandy?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying Atlas, especially from the perspective of this rendering. I do think though that this is one of those occasions where the actual tower is going to translate into something much better than its rendering. More often it's the other way around. Hopefully, that will be brick at the base, not stucco!!

Quote:
At least it looks like it has some street-level interaction. Are those retail frontages at the base of the garage?
Agree big time 215. Aesthetically speaking, it would be a complete failure at street level without that commercial buffer. They need to do a lot more of that around many of the other structures.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Are we actually going to see a 19-story building in Sandy?
By the time its built we will get a building that is 3 stories with a flagpole and a Subway/ Starbucks for some really nice street engagement.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:06 PM
Space Magi

So I dug around online after seeing that rendering and found the developer's website. It looks like they've updated the design since those news articles from a few months ago. Here are some details and new renderings:
Quote:
The SUMMIT @ the Cairns
Construction Beginning 2020
  • Interstate 15 visibility
  • 350,000 sf Class A Office
  • 250 room High End Hotel
  • Roof Top Restaurant
  • 250 Multi-Family Units

Last edited by Atlas; Jan 21, 2020 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:11 PM

Thanks for posting that Atlas. That would be impressive for that area from I-15. So construction is suppose to begin this year. Any forum members know if all their ducks are in a row, financing etc.? If a major project like this is going to happen at that location, now would be the time to develop it. This looks to be the type of project that could handle a major tech firm.

Just quickly reviewing the website you posted, this team is responsible for a number of pretty significant projects. Every reason to believe that under the current economic and growth/demand situation in the Valley this project will come about. Seems like they're targeting something that Downtown Salt Lake needs to get up to speed on, as many have been discussing with the recent Galileo debacle. This project will be a major live/work/play development. Of course, not as complete a neighborhood presence as Downtown SLC. However, there is a ridiculous amount of shopping within walking distance, major transportation access, a world-class live theatre venue at its door, and easy access to world-class skiing and four-season outdoor activity.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 22, 2020 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:16 PM
Space Magi

It seems like a major factor in these large developments going up in the suburbs is the ease and speed at which they can go from concept to construction. Downtown, despite being a superior location in many ways, has more hoops to jump through and the process is slowed or stalled significantly.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
It seems like a major factor in these large developments going up in the suburbs is the ease and speed at which they can go from concept to construction. Downtown, despite being a superior location in many ways, has more hoops to jump through and the process is slowed or stalled significantly.
Agree. Let's hope that the new Mendenhall administration and council will streamline a lot of the hassles.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:43 PM

Utah home sales hit new heights in 2019; trend expected to continue

Jason Lee, Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2/...ed-to-continue

“It’s people moving in from out of state (and) it’s our low unemployment,” he said. “It’s our own population growing. It’s multiple factors.”

SANDY — While the cost of buying a home in the Salt Lake City metro area is predicted to rise to record levels in 2020, the number of people buying homes is also expected to reach historic levels for the second year in a row.

And the building pressure isn’t just in Salt Lake County, a real estate group says.

“You’re seeing it in the rural areas as well,” Utah Association of Realtors President Dave Robison said. “One of the best performing counties was Box Elder County, their sales went up 15%, and then Summit County went up 15%, Utah County went up 12%.

Homes under construction in Stansbury Park are pictured on Wednesday, April 17, 2019. Stansbury Park is a more affordable area compared to the Wasatch Front, which has been booming due to hot housing market.
Steve Griffin, Deseret News

“One of the interesting statistics right now — this is the first time I’ve ever seen it — but Utah County has more homes for sale on the market than Salt Lake County,” he added...

...“The bulk of what people are going to be able to afford is going to be townhomes and condos,” he said. “Because it’s simple, it’s just going to be too expensive to own a single-family home anymore.”

He added that due to construction costs, consumer demand and the land costs, developers may move in the direction of building more townhomes as a way to maintain profitability. He said cities will also have to create building ordinances that support the development of more densely populated housing units, which has not always been popular in many Salt Lake area communities.

Meanwhile, he said if interest rates remain low as they have been lately, then prospective buyers will likely continue to flood the market, which will be good for Utah homeowners who are receiving greater and greater amounts for their properties over the past decade.

“When you look at interest rates, if interest rates go up a point, it reduces (homebuyers’) purchase ability by almost 12%. The interest rates being low, makes it very, very favorable for a buyer,” Robison said. “Now, for sellers, it’s definitely favorable for their selling price because we’re seeing the highest median price range we’ve ever had. So, it’s definitely favorable for them.”

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 1:37 PM

We're already going on four years into this article. Viewing what's happening in that part of the CSA it would seem they need to knock off a few years.

Ever Wonder What Park City Will Look Like 20 Years From Now? Here’s a Forecast for the Future.

https://www.parkcitymag.com/news-and...for-the-future

The orange shaded areas indicate 2016 zoning densities. Please note that units shown may not have received all development approvals from all required agencies and governments... IMAGE: PARK CITY GIS/PARK CITY MUNICIPAL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West