HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
"I'm not against new development. I'm just against extreme buildings that are towering over you in your area," she said.
Ahhhhh yes, you are against new development! Classic definition of NIMBY right there. Some people.... seriously?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Ahhhhh yes, you are against new development! Classic definition of NIMBY right there. Some people.... seriously?
WTF is an "extreme building"?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:47 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I laughed. I laughed again. And then I laughed some more.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:26 PM

I love how 4ish stories is "a monstrosity towering over you". She must be on glue

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:08 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
How can anyone even form an opinion without seeing what it will look like?

Surely the quality of the development means everything, but is often overlooked in these situations. If the site will consist of a building with a large parking lot, I would agree with the Nimbys, however if the parking is properly enclosed, it's likely an asset to the area. The design aesthetics are equally important; too many new condos in NL look like four storey fish plants IMO, not exactly stellar!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
How can anyone even form an opinion without seeing what it will look like?

Surely the quality of the development means everything, but is often overlooked in these situations. If the site will consist of a building with a large parking lot, I would agree with the Nimbys, however if the parking is properly enclosed, it's likely an asset to the area. The design aesthetics are equally important; too many new condos in NL look like four storey fish plants IMO, not exactly stellar!
I would say the design will be very similar to what we're seeing in the Rhodora Drive condos in Airport Heights, or the Westdale Grove development on Topsail Road. I would imagine a run of the mill condo building for SJ; nothing special (and that's alright for a suburban area. I don't personally believe we need top notch architecture in every small suburban condo development) . But, whether it's aesthetically pleasing or not, it will still be an asset to the area. Mount Pearl has virtually nowhere to expand but up. It's going to have to get used to the idea of densification if it wants to continue to grow.

4.5 stories is not very tall and will not "tower over" the houses in the area (which, if my memory serves correctly, has many trees to protect property owner's privacy.. but that's beside the point) I believe denser projects like this are necessary to keep Mount Pearl afloat in the coming years. It will be great to add some long overdue density to this pointless suburban wasteland.

NIMBYs and the CBC comment section makes me lose faith in humanity. (and Open Line.. and basically every single public forum in the world... besides this one!)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Some of the ones you mentioned are not that bad, while others are really terrible IMO.

I think the design of the building as well as the site really does matter in these cases.

However, a suburban enclave like Mt. Pearl really does need to densify in order to stay viable, but there is no point in building things that aren't up to snuff.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 8:22 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...15649079_n.jpg

Was out for a Sunday drive today and noticed a couple of new buildings on the main strip in CBS. This one is directly across the street from Shoppers Drug Mart. Anyone have any idea what it is gonna be when finished?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 8:24 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...84610131_n.jpg

And just down the road from that is this new building going up right next door to Tim's. Looks like it could kinda be a fast food restaurant too but who knows. Anyone got the scoop on this?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 8:25 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...34129693_n.jpg

The Manuals River Centre looks like it's getting close to being finished. Should be quite popular in that area. I worry though about the traffic as the entrance is right next to where the access road and the bridge converge. So might become quite a bottleneck there. Time will tell.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 8:31 PM

It looks pretty cool.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 10:28 PM

The Manuels River Interpretation Centre will be a welcomed piece of thoughtful design and architecture; Uncommon in the province and surely a first for the Town of CBS. Pretty exciting.

And CBS is really feeling the benefit of 'prosperity'. I grew up there and it was completely stagnant until about 5 years ago. Now there are new businesses opening monthly and new buildings (even though small) sprouting up regularly.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...15649079_n.jpg

Was out for a Sunday drive today and noticed a couple of new buildings on the main strip in CBS. This one is directly across the street from Shoppers Drug Mart. Anyone have any idea what it is gonna be when finished?
That is the site of the new credit union.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 1:15 AM

Ok cool. Thank's man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robg View Post
That is the site of the new credit union.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Hey folks, new member here with a question:

Found out last week that I will be moving to St. John's, for the beginning of September, company I work for is opening a new office here.

What can I expect when I move to to St. John's? When responding please keep in mind that I am very much a "CITY BOY", have no interest in Arts/Photography/Nature.

Also I noticed from my searching that there are no "modern high rise condo's" anywhere to be found in the city? Any one have an answer as to the reasoning?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover76 View Post
Hey folks, new member here with a question:

Found out last week that I will be moving to St. John's, for the beginning of September, company I work for is opening a new office here.

What can I expect when I move to to St. John's? When responding please keep in mind that I am very much a "CITY BOY", have no interest in Arts/Photography/Nature.

Also I noticed from my searching that there are no "modern high rise condo's" anywhere to be found in the city? Any one have an answer as to the reasoning?
One thing St. John's is not is a big city. We don't have huge office and condo buildings, we don't have a large population (comparatively speaking), and as of now, we don't really have a whole lot of urbanity outside the downtown core unfortunately. (although there are two twin 16 story condo buildings slated to begin construction this spring)

But it's not our skyscrapers that attract people here, it's the character of the city. I know it may not be of interest to you but we do have a beautiful natural setting and strong ties to the Arts community. More along the lines of what you're looking for in a city, we have a surprisingly dense downtown for a city of our size. Our somewhat famous colorful rowhouse district is actually the densest neighbourhood in Atlantic Canada, if I'm not mistaken. The downtown area is full of rich history and vintage architecture with a few modern additions mixed in here and there and is very urban. You will be very hard pressed to find any kind of ugly surface parking lot in downtown St. John's.

The best experience you can have living in St. John's is if you both live and work in the downtown area because most things you need are within walking distance. Unfortunately, we don't have many high-density condo developments here because they are just beginning to catch on. With the current proposals in the downtown area, I believe we are adding well over 500+ new condo units over the next few years with the possibility of more highrise projects in the works.

If you live outside the downtown area, the city is unfortunately very suburban. Most places outside the downtown are very car dependent and public transportation is essentially a joke.

If you manage to nab a residence in the downtown area, you will find yourself in a vibrant, dense, walk-able, urban center filled with history and distinct character. If you like big cities and tall buildings, this might not be the place for you, but if you can look past the heights of the buildings, I think you will find St. John's to be a unique, well-knit city and an excellent place to live.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
One thing St. John's is not is a big city. We don't have huge office and condo buildings, we don't have a large population (comparatively speaking), and as of now, we don't really have a whole lot of urbanity outside the downtown core unfortunately. (although there are two twin 16 story condo buildings slated to begin construction this spring)

But it's not our skyscrapers that attract people here, it's the character of the city. I know it may not be of interest to you but we do have a beautiful natural setting and strong ties to the Arts community. More along the lines of what you're looking for in a city, we have a surprisingly dense downtown for a city of our size. Our somewhat famous colorful rowhouse district is actually the densest neighbourhood in Atlantic Canada, if I'm not mistaken. The downtown area is full of rich history and vintage architecture with a few modern additions mixed in here and there and is very urban. You will be very hard pressed to find any kind of ugly surface parking lot in downtown St. John's.

The best experience you can have living in St. John's is if you both live and work in the downtown area because most things you need are within walking distance. Unfortunately, we don't have many high-density condo developments here because they are just beginning to catch on. With the current proposals in the downtown area, I believe we are adding well over 500+ new condo units over the next few years with the possibility of more highrise projects in the works.

If you live outside the downtown area, the city is unfortunately very suburban. Most places outside the downtown are very car dependent and public transportation is essentially a joke.

If you manage to nab a residence in the downtown area, you will find yourself in a vibrant, dense, walk-able, urban center filled with history and distinct character. If you like big cities and tall buildings, this might not be the place for you, but if you can look past the heights of the buildings, I think you will find St. John's to be a unique, well-knit city and an excellent place to live.

So from reading this it appears I will hate my 24 months here in St. John's. Thank you for your honesty. I am very much an urban dweller who is of modern thinking.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:32 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Our somewhat famous colorful rowhouse district is actually the densest neighbourhood in Atlantic Canada
*5th densest.

But yeah, Townie nailed it. Until very recently there was next to no appetite among businesses / citizens for increased density downtown. In the past few years we have seen a pile of development, starting with more office space, and more recently the beginnings of a few condo developments to house the workers in this new office space. Before now though, the demand for such condos just wasn't there. It seems everyone wanted the house with the backyard, and unfortunately much of St. John's has a very suburban feel because of it. Even as close as a ten or fifteen minute walk away from what would be our "main street" you can find single-detached housing.

Density in our downtown, at the moment, is found in the row-houses and very few condos you'll find in the immediate downtown area. Due to height restrictions, you're not going to see massive skyscrapers in the downtown either. Despite a form that is different than most cities, you will still find density in our downtown. Just don't travel too far. It doesn't take long to walk out of the density and into an area that feels like the 'burbs.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:36 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover76 View Post
So from reading this it appears I will hate my 24 months here in St. John's. Thank you for your honesty. I am very much an urban dweller who is of modern thinking.
That's really for you to decide. If you rent in Paradise, yes, you probably will. If you live in the downtown, you will experience a similar quality of downtown life that any other city would have. A pile of restaurants, bars, cafes, office buildings, history, etc. If by "modern" you mean 20 storey buildings and nothing more, than yes, you won't find it here. But downtown St. John's has the same feel as larger cities. Lots of pedestrian traffic, busy streets, unique businesses, etc. Just to a smaller scale because we are of course a smaller city.

What is it in particular you're looking for? You don't like Arts/Nature/Photography, but what do you want from your city? What does "an urban dweller of modern thinking" mean?

You might want to talk to Ayreonaut. He is a regular St. John's forumer from Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
That's really for you to decide. If you rent in Paradise, yes, you probably will. If you live in the downtown, you will experience a similar quality of downtown life that any other city would have. A pile of restaurants, bars, cafes, office buildings, history, etc. If by "modern" you mean 20 storey buildings and nothing more, than yes, you won't find it here. But downtown St. John's has the same feel as larger cities. Lots of pedestrian traffic, busy streets, unique businesses, etc. Just to a smaller scale because we are of course a smaller city.

What is it in particular you're looking for? You don't like Arts/Nature/Photography, but what do you want from your city? What does "an urban dweller of modern thinking" mean?

You might want to talk to Ayreonaut. He is a regular St. John's forumer from Calgary.

I am coming from DT Toronto. I know I won't get anything near the quality of life I am used to and.

I am a sports junkie and I like going to a theatre and listening to classical music shows and opera and musicals. Plus I am a huge fan of music festivals.

I've checked online and from what I see the only festivals in summertime are the George Street Festival and some sort of Newfoundland Folk Music Festival, certainly there has to be more mainstream current artists come to your city during the summer festival season?

From what you and the other poster stated it looks like I will have to come down about 35 stories when looking for a place to rent/live.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's