HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. The same article noted that the school in Cap Pele is receiving 50 new students, mostly all children of economic migrants recruited to fill positions in the fish plants. I believe they were mostly from South America and Southeast Asia.

Another article in the T&T today mentioned a company called 360Insights setting up shop on Foundry Street, beginning with 35 employees, hoping to expand to 200 employees by 2021.

Based in Ontario, the company is a "channel incentive management platform", and no, I have no idea what that means, but apparently they consult and provide management support to other companies. Rather than expand further in Toronto, they chose Moncton for the low cost of living, the bilingual character of the city, it's infrastructure, and the airport which provides convenient access to HQ back in Toronto.

They will pay their employees the same as in TO, but their money will go further here. While they will recruit locally, it sounds like a number of employees will relocate here from the big smoke.

I think in the future that growth in Moncton will increasingly be from international and interprovincial sources. I think internal migration from the north will soon peter out.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote from the 360Insights web site:

"In the last 12 months, 360insights has experienced explosive growth – adding significant headcount, growing nearly 50 percent and acquiring four companies."

200 employees by 2021, some of whom will be moving here from Ontario and they'll be working down town. I agree with MonctonRad that a lot of Moncton's future growth will come from inter-provincial sources. TD Bank is another example.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 10:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

You see new people in the city all the time, and it's getting increasingly noticeable.

I was at my dealership with one of my cars earlier this week, and a new mechanic was getting oriented when I was there. I overheard that he and his family were relocating to Moncton from Vancouver mostly because of the cost of living (housing especially) out there.

I was at the Vaughan Harvey Sobeys the other evening and the cashier was from Brazil.

Driving into work around the NBCC on Mountain Road, it's surprising to see the number of foreign students around the campus, especially from the Indian subcontinent and the middle east.

The face and the character of the city is changing before our eyes.

The city is aware of this too. They pay attention to, and support the various multicultural celebrations that are held every year. As more people move into the city, strains are occurring on the supply of housing in the city. In here most recent Facebook update, the mayor mentioned the city's low vacancy rate, and how she has been meeting recently with developers regarding new projects to "increase the density" in the city.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Let's hope they don't pave Elmwood and McLaughlin at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I take it then that they are paving McLaughlin and Elmwood at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I take it then that they are paving McLaughlin and Elmwood at the same time.
At around 4:45 pm, it was an absolute s#!7show getting out of the Caledonia Industrial park. Besides the work on Elmwood and McLaughlin, they had part of Granite blocked off, and I think they were working on Harrisville Blvd as well. I can't confirm this other than the line up of cars on MacNaughton ave was backed up almost to the Molson brewery. I turned around and got stuck in the Elmwood mess.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

You see new people in the city all the time, and it's getting increasingly noticeable.

I was at my dealership with one of my cars earlier this week, and a new mechanic was getting oriented when I was there. I overheard that he and his family were relocating to Moncton from Vancouver mostly because of the cost of living (housing especially) out there.

I was at the Vaughan Harvey Sobeys the other evening and the cashier was from Brazil.

Driving into work around the NBCC on Mountain Road, it's surprising to see the number of foreign students around the campus, especially from the Indian subcontinent and the middle east.

The face and the character of the city is changing before our eyes.

The city is aware of this too. They pay attention to, and support the various multicultural celebrations that are held every year. As more people move into the city, strains are occurring on the supply of housing in the city. In here most recent Facebook update, the mayor mentioned the city's low vacancy rate, and how she has been meeting recently with developers regarding new projects to "increase the density" in the city.
if you go on the Moncton Subreddit nearly every 2nd post is someone from BC or Ontario asking questions about moving to Moncton. Where to live, work opportunities, etc. There's also lots of anecdotal stories about how fast homes are selling right now. Personally on my street where I live in Riverview I've seen 5-6 homes go up for sale before summer started and all were sold in a matter of weeks. Just a few years ago I can recall homes on my street staying on the market for a long time.

I'm honestly surprised not to see more new builds going up in places like Riverview. I guess the focus is more on apartments and condos right now

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm honestly surprised not to see more new builds going up in places like Riverview. I guess the focus is more on apartments and condos right now
Cost of building SFHs right now is high compared to actual home values. In most cases buying an existing house is cheaper.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:44 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Cost of building SFHs right now is high compared to actual home values. In most cases buying an existing house is cheaper.
Building is definitely cheaper than buying right now. It's a sellers market because there are more buyers than sellers, so the sellers can get what they want for their house. People are not selling their house for what it's worth, they are selling their house to make money. Lumber is up by 3%. But i was looking at houses to buy as I am putting mine up for sale and the prices are ridiculous. 500,000 dollar homes going for 670,000 or more. 790,000 dollar homes going for 970,000, it's pretty insane. I'll definitely be buying off of an developer or building myself as most homes are selling for far too much and people are being gouged.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From a post in Councillor Greg Turner's Facebook page:

Quote:
We just finished our monthly Board Meeting of Moncton Industrial Development Inc . It has been a very busy summer , with new developments in all three of our Parks . We have sold to date over 120 Acres, for a total value of nearly four million dollars. On top of that , the City Of Moncton has issued over 22 million in building permits and we currently have a vacancy of only 6.5 % ! Altogether, are three industrial parks cover approximately 2000 acres in Moncton, and we currently only have about 175 acres on the market
I imagine the vast majority of the land sales and building permits issued for the Moncton Industrial Developments so far this year is for the new Day & Ross facility in the Caledonia Industrial Park. This is going to be massive!

I noticed today that they are taking the old Kent Distribution Centre in the MID Park down. I suppose they didn't need the building any more after their new distribution centre in the Caledonia Park was opened. Does anyone know if there are any plans for this former Kent land? It's right next to that massive Armour Transport logistics centre, so I could see them expanding into this space, but this is purely speculative.

And finally, they have started construction on the new Atlantic Outdoor building in the MID West Industrial Park. The foundation is going in right now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Building is definitely cheaper than buying right now. It's a sellers market because there are more buyers than sellers, so the sellers can get what they want for their house. People are not selling their house for what it's worth, they are selling their house to make money. Lumber is up by 3%. But i was looking at houses to buy as I am putting mine up for sale and the prices are ridiculous. 500,000 dollar homes going for 670,000 or more. 790,000 dollar homes going for 970,000, it's pretty insane. I'll definitely be buying off of an developer or building myself as most homes are selling for far too much and people are being gouged.
Maybe in the high end range, but what about the sub $350k range?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 8:36 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Maybe in the high end range, but what about the sub $350k range?
Not all hope is lost, I haven't looked much for that price range, perhaps this isn't from one end of the spectrum to the other. I would still say though because it is a sellers market, that all price ranges are looking for extra money. It just might not be so extreme. To clarify about the answer to your question, I'm really not quite sure.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Not all hope is lost, I haven't looked much for that price range, perhaps this isn't from one end of the spectrum to the other. I would still say though because it is a sellers market, that all price ranges are looking for extra money. It just might not be so extreme. To clarify about the answer to your question, I'm really not quite sure.
It's a seller's market in Fredericton too but I don't think that home prices have caught up to the demand. In the past few years the majority of new build SFAs have been custom ones in the $400k+ range. Very few spec homes being built below that price range relative to years prior. But existing houses are selling very quickly.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:44 PM
Throbbing Mass

They better start building more, quick. The homelessness situation is pretty bad.

Quote:
On the other side of the tent city, a thin woman in flip-flops is sweeping the area in front of her tent.

There is a chair outside and colourful windmills attached to the trees with bungee cords, turning in the wind.

She has been living there since late May and told LeBlanc the neighbours in the house behind her love her because she is clean and quiet.

The day before, an RCMP officer told her she had to pack up and move within 24 hours.

She told LeBlanc she has nowhere to go and has been on a waiting list with New Brunswick Housing for an affordable apartment for 25 years. She wants to get back into customer service work.

"Talking to these people, I don't know who wouldn't feel bad about this," LeBlanc said. "There's some very fine people living here that are trying hard to get a better life, and sometimes it's just not working out."

As he walked back to his vehicle, LeBlanc had tears in his eyes.
Quote:
Both emergency shelters, House of Nazereth and Harvest House, are at capacity since the eviction notices were issued to people in tent cities in Moncton.

This is Moncton 2019, and we have have [more than] 100 … people living on the street.

-Charles LeBlanc, Moncton Fire Prevention

Harvest House is prepared to accommodate people on mats or cots, but executive director Cal Maskey said it will still require government funding to pay extra overnight staff.

A new shelter announced by the House of Nazereth has run into delays, and there is no indication when it will open or how many beds it will have.

"As it stands right now, I don't believe there's enough places for these people to go," LeBlanc said. "And right now there's probably well in excess of 100 and some people around in our streets. So they need to go somewhere. If they have no shelter above them, they're going to be in our neighbourhoods."

According to the latest count by the Greater Moncton Homelessness Steering Committee, 134 people are living on the streets in Moncton, compared with 120 at this time last year.

LeBlanc believes shelters shouldn't be a long-term solution to homelessness.

"What we need to look at as a community is we need affordable housing and we need to go one step beyond [shelters]," he said. "We need to be able to turn these people around. To rehabilitate them and then steer them in the right direction.

"What I see everyday, like where we just came from — these people really don't deserve that. This is Moncton 2019, and we have have [more than] 100 … people living on the street."

Last edited by Sumater; Sep 30, 2019 at 3:46 PM. Reason: Additional material

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:18 PM

It is strange that we can take in refugees from other countries, who would sooner be in there home country if it were not for wars, yet we can't even look after people who are already here.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
It is strange that we can take in refugees from other countries, who would sooner be in there home country if it were not for wars, yet we can't even look after people who are already here.
I don't think this is the right place for political opinions on immigration...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I don't think this is the right place for political opinions on immigration...
Yeah, there is a politics thread where perhaps that could be discussed. Politics is so divisive these days and this isn't really a political board. In all honesty these 2 issues get lumped together so often because its easy to do so as if its an either/or but they are 2 entirely different things.

Look how many refugee stories we are seeing here in Canada that are starting up local businesses and giving back to the community as an example generating taxes. The homeless issue is one that is heavily impacted by mental health and addiction services needed and is a complicated beast of an issue. You could really pick any sort of government spending if you want to play that game and say why not homeless spending rather than build a park or invest in art or arenas etc. Its just easier to lump those 2 together to create a reaction.

Also important to note that legal immigration & asylum are totally separate issues as well that often get lumped together.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
The homeless issue is one that is heavily impacted by mental health and addiction services needed and is a complicated beast of an issue.
It is an incredibly complex issue. Sadly, mostly because of addiction, some of these homeless people are probably beyond salvation.

There are others however who would benefit from active intervention, which means giving them a bed and a permanent address so that they can access more social services, and begin to apply for jobs. Social workers can get involved in teaching these people basic life skills such as balancing a cheque book, cooking for themselves etc. Advocates can be used to try and assist with their reintegration into society, such as how to fill out an employment application, get a drivers licence and get educational upgrading if necessary.

Many of these people have lost these basic skills and need help in getting back on their feet. The new proposed John Howard facility would be ideal for this.

Just giving them a bed and a meal is not enough..........

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:21 AM

Housing first is the answer. You can't apply for a job if you can't even take a shower.
Sadly, no housing developer will ever make a buck building homes for people with no money.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This little tidbit from Mayor Dawn Arnold's weekly video update on Facebook was interesting.

Apparently Moncton is the fifth largest logistics centre in Canada, and the largest logistics centre east of Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces