HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 1:43 PM

Heard that the owner of TriStar Mercedes-Benz in Saint John is going to expand to Moncton with a full dealership with construction beginning this year and an opening date in 2017. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Heard that the owner of TriStar Mercedes-Benz in Saint John is going to expand to Moncton with a full dealership with construction beginning this year and an opening date in 2017. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Nope, I've not heard this specifically, but I wouldn't be overly surprised. I think there's a lot of pent up interest in Mercedes here, but the default luxury cars in the city are BMW and Audi because we have the dealerships. Having to get your servicing done hundreds of kms away is a big turn off.

This could be a pre-emptive strike too, since Steele Group from Halifax is very seriously considering a Jaguar/Porsche/Land Rover dealership in the city. If Mercedes got established first, this might affect the Steele Group's plans.........

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 2:10 PM

For anyone interested in historical perspectives, I'm sharing this paper which appears to have been written in 1998: http://www8.umoncton.ca/umcm-vincent...tal%20city.pdf

Quote:
The Greater Moncton Planning Commission produced, in 1975, a strategic development plan. That project relied on available data at that time, and data however reliable, that reflected trends of that era too. These were still booming years following World War II, an era marked by comparatively high household and family formation, fertility rates and the accompanying burgeoning of ever spreading suburbia. According to prediction derived from official data, Greater Moncton was expected to reach, what seems in retrospective a highly optimistic estimation, a population of 170,000 people by 1990. However, as was the case throughout North America, what has happened has been outrageously different: population totals about 110 000, and most significantly is the far greater variety of household arragements that now exists, and that requires different housing needs.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Huffington Post has just declared that Moncton is the 4th best place in the entire Dominion to be looking for a job!

If so, this is a sad indictment on the current state of the Canadian economy.....

The Huffington list is as follows:

#1 - Guelph ON
#2 - Regina SK
#3 - Quebec City QC
#4 - Moncton NB
#5 - Vancouver BC
#6 - Edmonton AB
#7 - Toronto ON
#8 - Kingston ON
#9 - London ON
#10 - Winnipeg MB

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01...n_8970958.html

Quote:
If someone you knew needed a job fast, where would you advise them to move? A few years ago you probably would have said Alberta without thinking about it. Today, things aren’t so clear.

But the latest edition of BMO’s regional labour market reports card gives us some idea where to look.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
For anyone interested in historical perspectives, I'm sharing this paper which appears to have been written in 1998: http://www8.umoncton.ca/umcm-vincent...tal%20city.pdf
Good read, I enjoyed that! I laughed at seeing the Champlain Sobeys facade being the exact same for 20 years. I think it's time for an update haha.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 2:10 PM

I was reading somewhere (I forget where) that there was a high probability the Feds would come through with funding to build a bridge to replace the causeway this year. It basically argued that with no major infrastructure projects occurring in the province, lack of job growth, and the especially with the closure of the mine in Sussex major infrastructure projects will likely get more attention. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I was reading somewhere (I forget where) that there was a high probability the Feds would come through with funding to build a bridge to replace the causeway this year. It basically argued that with no major infrastructure projects occurring in the province, lack of job growth, and the especially with the closure of the mine in Sussex major infrastructure projects will likely get more attention. Thoughts?
Replacing the causeway would be nice, but it would provide no substantial benefit. I might be going off-topic, but I'd love to see the province think outside the box and ask for funds to build a robust shared trail network reaching all corners of the province.

Such a network would: (a) produce the initial jobs to build it (which would likely span a term longer than replacing the bridge), (b) provide long-term economic touristic spin-offs (as opposed to a bridge which would have zero returns), (c) have low recurring maintenance cost, and (d) add to our options of outdoor activities.

A few years ago, an ambitious plan to connect Acadian communities from Memramcook to Caraquet (including a link from Moncton to Shediac) had been announced, but nothing ever came out of it, and it's since been abandoned (http://www.sentierdeletoile.ca/home.html).

Cyclotourists generally spend a lot of money in restaurants, campgrounds & hotels. In Québec, la Route verte spans 5,300 km and was projected -- back in 2006 -- to generate economic spin-offs of $134M.

On PEI, a study showed that 59% of people using the Confederation Trail are from out of province, 63% of trail users are cyclists, and that trail-related spending accounts for 29% of all trip spending: http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/L...n-impression/1

My own experience is only anecdotal, but I've cycled both the Confederation Trail and the Cabot Trail. With their vast network, I'll likely be cycling in Québec at some point as well. In New Brunswick, options are very limited: short in-city trails, and few rural roads with paved shoulders; the safest routes between the three main cities are on highways 1 & 2, which are hardly scenic or pleasant. We have hills in the Fundy region that rival Cape Breton's, and long flat terrain in other parts of the province similar to PEI, but we haven't thought to capitalize on this potential market.

It's a shame that we don't even have a safe cycling route from Moncton to Shediac. I may be biased, but I see so much touristic potential in being able to promote staying in a Moncton hotel and cycling to Parlee Beach, or staying in a Shediac motel and cycling to downtown Moncton, all on the comfort of a cool, shaded trail in the forest in the midst of summer.

I'm not suggesting that such an investment would pay off huge dividends, but unless we think Moncton will ever be a port city again, its economic and social impacts would still be far greater than what replacing the causeway could ever accomplish.

More options specifically within the Moncton area:

- build that AT bridge across the causeway traffic circle that the city proposed years ago;
- build an overpass over Hwy 15 to reconnect Highlandview Rd with Dieppe;
- build an AT bridge from Massey Ave to the Humphrey Brook Trail;
- build a trail along the railway from the Via station to Humphrey Brook;
- build the basic infrastructure required to support residences & retail along our riverfront...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Replacing the causeway would be nice, but it would provide no substantial benefit. I might be going off-topic, but I'd love to see the province think outside the box and ask for funds to build a robust shared trail network reaching all corners of the province.

Such a network would: (a) produce the initial jobs to build it (which would likely span a term longer than replacing the bridge), (b) provide long-term economic touristic spin-offs (as opposed to a bridge which would have zero returns), (c) have low recurring maintenance cost, and (d) add to our options of outdoor activities.

A few years ago, an ambitious plan to connect Acadian communities from Memramcook to Caraquet (including a link from Moncton to Shediac) had been announced, but nothing ever came out of it, and it's since been abandoned (http://www.sentierdeletoile.ca/home.html).

Cyclotourists generally spend a lot of money in restaurants, campgrounds & hotels. In Québec, la Route verte spans 5,300 km and was projected -- back in 2006 -- to generate economic spin-offs of $134M.

On PEI, a study showed that 59% of people using the Confederation Trail are from out of province, 63% of trail users are cyclists, and that trail-related spending accounts for 29% of all trip spending: http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/L...n-impression/1

My own experience is only anecdotal, but I've cycled both the Confederation Trail and the Cabot Trail. With their vast network, I'll likely be cycling in Québec at some point as well. In New Brunswick, options are very limited: short in-city trails, and few rural roads with paved shoulders; the safest routes between the three main cities are on highways 1 & 2, which are hardly scenic or pleasant. We have hills in the Fundy region that rival Cape Breton's, and long flat terrain in other parts of the province similar to PEI, but we haven't thought to capitalize on this potential market.

It's a shame that we don't even have a safe cycling route from Moncton to Shediac. I may be biased, but I see so much touristic potential in being able to promote staying in a Moncton hotel and cycling to Parlee Beach, or staying in a Shediac motel and cycling to downtown Moncton, all on the comfort of a cool, shaded trail in the forest in the midst of summer.

I'm not suggesting that such an investment would pay off huge dividends, but unless we think Moncton will ever be a port city again, its economic and social impacts would still be far greater than what replacing the causeway could ever accomplish.

More options specifically within the Moncton area:

- build that AT bridge across the causeway traffic circle that the city proposed years ago;
- build an overpass over Hwy 15 to reconnect Highlandview Rd with Dieppe;
- build an AT bridge from Massey Ave to the Humphrey Brook Trail;
- build a trail along the railway from the Via station to Humphrey Brook;
- build the basic infrastructure required to support residences & retail along our riverfront...
No substantial benefit and zero returns to replacing the causeway? I would argue that in detail if I had the time as I completely disagree with your view. The benefits of fully restoring the Petitcodiac are numerous and aside from the positive environmental impacts it has already attracted international attention with surfers from around the world. I believe the river take on a much more central role to Moncton's future development whereas it hasn't for the past 50 years because it was downright ugly. Building a trail network to connect the whole province in my mind would be a massive waste of money. We already have a nationwide trail, from East to West, as well as 2 National Parks in this province full of trails - and they are underutilized as is. Sure, Quebec may have over 5,000 km of biking trails however they also have over 8 million people. I could only imagine how few people would use a trail from Shediac to Caraquet, especially as you get further North. I fully support most projects that encourage physical activity however I could think of plenty of other places I would put cash earmarked for such projects.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
No substantial benefit and zero returns to replacing the causeway? I would argue that in detail if I had the time as I completely disagree with your view. The benefits of fully restoring the Petitcodiac are numerous and aside from the positive environmental impacts it has already attracted international attention with surfers from around the world. I believe the river take on a much more central role to Moncton's future development whereas it hasn't for the past 50 years because it was downright ugly. Building a trail network to connect the whole province in my mind would be a massive waste of money. We already have a nationwide trail, from East to West, as well as 2 National Parks in this province full of trails - and they are underutilized as is. Sure, Quebec may have over 5,000 km of biking trails however they also have over 8 million people. I could only imagine how few people would use a trail from Shediac to Caraquet, especially as you get further North. I fully support most projects that encourage physical activity however I could think of plenty of other places I would put cash earmarked for such projects.
Potential Benefits to replacing the Causeway
1. Potentially stop the constant flooding in the area.
2. Potentially lowers traffic issues

those are the only 2 I can think about from the top of my head at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
1. Potentially stop the constant flooding in the area.
2. Potentially lowers traffic issues
3. Beautifying the riverfront in the downtown area that they have been trying to reinvigorate.
4. Potentially bigger Tidal Bores would be a great tourist attraction, which would bring in more surfers, which would again increase tourism and waterfront events/activities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
3. Beautifying the riverfront in the downtown area that they have been trying to reinvigorate.
4. Potentially bigger Tidal Bores would be a great tourist attraction, which would bring in more surfers, which would again increase tourism and waterfront events/activities.
5. Infrastructure projects are good for the local economies

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:15 AM

I admit I wasn't thinking about current flooding issues and potential touristic windfalls with respect to the bore. With that in mind, I realize my suggestions may appear harebrained; however:

I'm also aware that our population is much smaller than Québec's, and so is our territory, so I wasn't suggesting that we match their 5,300 km of trails. I'm withdrawing my argument that there are no benefits to replacing the causeway, but I stick to my argument that we could all benefit (socially and economically) from a solid trail network.

By definition, any spending is good for the economy. If Ottawa is looking to invest money in projects to kick-start the economy, those projects also need to provide long-term social benefit; just moving currency around by digging holes on make-work projects is silly at best.

All in all, it's disappointing to live in a province where so many projects are proposed and announced yet fail to come to fruition. In fact, the same thing happened with the causeway replacement: the first commitment was announced back in 2007.

Do we know how much federal money is available for the province, how much the causeway replacement would cost, and whether or not that would include rejigging the traffic circle? In 2007, the projected cost was $68M for a four-lane bridge; I would expect that to reach close to $100M by now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 11:59 AM

I think fixing the sewage treatment plant will come before replacing the causeway.
My prediction is that the feds will chip in at least 33 per cent on this project, with the blessing of the three mayors, with the argument being that we need a clean river before we need a freer flowing river.
I see merit to this argument.
PS This is just my own personal opinion. I have no insider info on this. But it seems logical to first worry about the 120,000 people's poop in the water. I would bet money that if you would ask the three mayors what their #1 big-ticket infrastructure item is, this would be it (with a caveat from Moncton that they need the rest of the promised federal money for the DT Centre which hasn't all arrived yet as far as I know.)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 1:12 PM

Guadeloupe has withdrawn its bid to host the 2021 Francophonie Games, which leaves Moncton-Dieppe & Sherbrooke. Decision to be announced in October.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/sports...et-sherbrooke/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:48 PM

I don't remember if this has been discussed previously, but according to this article, the residential vacancy rate has been improving over the last years. This is all according to the CMHC.

2013 - 9.1 %
2014 - 8.7 %
2015 - 7.4 %

So, even with all the excessive rental constructions, things don't seem too alarming. Things have slowed down during the last few years so that, now, there are less vacancies.

The article also tries to explain why constrution of these residential complexes may still be going strong. Basically, the population is still growing and more people are retiring (growing old and downsizing).

AN in french : http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...lle-trop-vite/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 3:07 AM

Now, add 250 refugee families to those rates, and 500 in total by the end of the year, and things are looking really good in the rental biz.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 6:26 PM

2014-2015 Population growth

According to l'AN, from a report from StatsCan published Wednesday, Moncton's population grew 1.3 % between 2014 and 2015. Population : 147 968.

Source : http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...ux-que-li-p-e/

Seems like a healthy growth rate. If it continues at the same pace, Moncton should be very close to 150K by the end of the year (2016). I believe the next major census numbers will be coming out this year anyways.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:53 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Good to see Canadian Tire moving into the old Target slot on Mountain Road. Went to the to their old current location, one on the way to Halifax to get new wiper blades and that old store was a mess. They said all the stock was being taken to the new store. Any word what is moving into the old Canadian Tire building that looks like a decent piece of property

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
Good to see Canadian Tire moving into the old Target slot on Mountain Road. Went to the to their old current location, one on the way to Halifax to get new wiper blades and that old store was a mess. They said all the stock was being taken to the new store. Any word what is moving into the old Canadian Tire building that looks like a decent piece of property
Rumour is a No Frills grocery store, but that's only a rumour.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 4:15 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Rumour is a No Frills grocery store, but that's only a rumour.
Interesting idea. Wouldn't be too bad of a location for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces