HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - Over Two Million Square Foot Mixed-Use Development Planned for Alamo Ranch

Along with the 900,000 square foot Alamo Ranch Marketplace currently under construction, there will now be a over 2 million square foot mixed-use development just north of Alamo Ranch Marketplace. This mixed use development will have nearly 1 million square feet of office, 400,000 square feet of retail, a hospital campus, a hotel and nearly 500 multi-family units.

Alamo Ranch is a masterplanned community in far wnw San Antonio, with almost 15,000 homes planned for Alamo Ranch, some 700 or so homes have already been constructed in the last year and a half since construction began on AR.

Alamo Ranch Marketplace is outlined in red, themega mixed-use developmenr

Alamo Ranch Marketplace sign currently up

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:44 AM

Im already getting negative thoughts... Just imagine the damn traffic. It's awful right now, and once this sucker is fully done it's gonna be a nightmare. I really hope they make a real interchange at 151 and 1604 asap. But knowing TXDOT its gonna be atleast 10 years.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:06 AM
Meh

I try not to mention it, but this is why San Antonio's skyline doesn't develope vertically. Don't get me wrong, I love it already, but this stuff is sucking the life out of the central city.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:31 AM
James

^^^ amen, you don't see huge things like this in Austin, well they aren't posted here if there are. Council Members need to get the ball rollin'. I'm tired of this NW crap. There needs to be balance.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 7:28 AM
Meh

There is suburban development in the Austin area, but most of it is taking place in the suburbs of San Marcos, Buda, Kyle, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Bastrop and Leander. Sounds like a lot, but that's all outside the city limits and up to 30 miles away from Austin. There is also suburban developments going on within the city limits, but most of it is actually infill. Basically filling in areas that have already been surrounded by the city limits for years.

Sunset Valley, Texas is one example of this. It's a tiny, 1 square mile "suburb" that's located within the city limits of Austin in Southwest Austin. Since 1992 land there has been developed into over a million square feet of retail, including the largest Academy store in Texas and a 200,000+ sq foot Home Depot. The small town only has 330 people, but is expected to rise to about ~650 or so with new houses being built on what used to be one of the last farms in Travis County. It's actually surrounded by Austin's city limits on all sides with the city limit being miles away. There's actually one spot in Sunset Valley where you can see downtown from one of the neighborhoods.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 1:54 PM
Endless Moments...

I wish they would just leave that part of the city alone. I love all the rugid hills and trees. I hate to see it paved over with yet another target, ross, well you know, just go down the road to another intersection and you will find the exact same thing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:03 PM

which hospital campus will be there? If I remember correctly, I believe it should be Methodist.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:55 PM

i know that this is totally not on the topic of this lovely sprawl but i have been in austin the past two weekends and i swear... there are practically more cranes for buildings under construction than buildings already built... i love it and i am proud of austin for being such a good leader toward the sky!

i love both cities with a passion... and to be quite honest san antonio hasn't seen as many cranes before as they are now... so in some way we are doing better than we had been!

ohh.. and i had previously read that Vistana was going to be only 14 floors but it's going to be 16 floors according to the building permit put in the friday edition of the biz journal! just wanted to mention that!

bye yall

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michobq View Post
which hospital campus will be there? If I remember correctly, I believe it should be Methodist.

Methodist, Baptist and Christus are all building hospitals and campuses south of 1604 along 151, this hospital campus is not going to be either of the three unless one of them plans to expand acros 1604 into Alamo Ranch. So it looks like it would be a fourth hospital option in that area.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttwentyeight View Post
ohh.. and i had previously read that Vistana was going to be only 14 floors but it's going to be 16 floors according to the building permit put in the friday edition of the biz journal! just wanted to mention that!

bye yall
Really? I've seen the blueprints and they only showed 14 occupied floors. Looks like I'll need to send them an email. If it is 2 floors more, that could push the mainroof height to atleast 200 feet which would make it more substantial.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 6:06 PM

A more detailed layout of the Alamo Ranch development although areas to the west and south are cut off. The area in dark pink (between Lone Star Parkway and Westwood Parkway) is the 2 million square foot mixed use development.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio