HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 6:31 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - SA Might Get AFL Team

San Antonio is scoring some points with Arena League
San Antonio Business Journal - June 29, 2007

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...874&hbx=e_vert

The New Orleans Saints teased San Antonio before marching back home to Louisiana. And now the Dallas Cowboys are days away from turning the nation's seventh largest city into temporary camp quarters for another market's team.

In the next few weeks, the AFL will take up the issue of expansion. It will also likely have to deal with an Austin Wranglers franchise that is contemplating ending its four-year run in the AFL.

Discussions regarding the AFL's next round of expansion "will close this summer," says Chris McCloskey, senior vice president of communications for the AFL.

A number of markets are under consideration, including Washington, D.C., and South Florida.

But the league is also interested in San Antonio. The only hitch so far: Finding the right ownership group.

AFL officials, according to McCloskey, have previously been engaged in "numerous discussions" with various prospective ownership groups, "all of whom agree that San Antonio and the AFL are a perfect fit."

To date, nothing has come from those meetings. But McCloskey says AFL officials "continue to believe that San Antonio would be a great AFL market."
Football-hungry fans

Expansion may not be San Antonio's only ticket to the AFL. Relocation of an existing team is another possibility.

The Austin Wranglers joined the AFL in 2004, drawing an average of just over 11,000 fans to its home games that inaugural season. Now the team is reportedly contemplating ceasing operations in the AFL and stepping down to the lower-level AF2.

Wranglers spokeswoman Erin Griffin says owner Doug MacGregor and his staff are now beginning the process of evaluating the team's future.

"No final decisions will be made until maybe early August," she explains, adding that, at present, there are no plans to relocate the Wranglers to another city.

Griffin does confirm that the AFL's board of governors will ultimately decide what to do with the Wranglers. Such a decision could come when the owners meet in New Orleans in late July for ArenaBowl 2007.

McCloskey, asked about the Wranglers' situation and the possibility of moving the team to San Antonio, does not address the matter.

At least one AFL owner is equally tight-lipped about the possibility of relocating the Wranglers.

Jason Jones, president of the AFL's Utah Blaze, won't comment on the Wranglers' status either. But he is impressed with San Antonio and shares his thoughts about the Alamo City as a football market.

"We all agree that San Antonio is a great city and laden with football-hungry fans," he says.

San Antonio had a taste of the AFL in 1992. That's when the Spurs, under previous ownership, operated the San Antonio Force.

Both franchises played at the venerable HemisFair Arena, which was not designed for indoor football and offered fans poor sight lines for AFL games.

The Force won only two of its 10 games in that one-and-done season. The team also earned the distinction of becoming the first in the history of the high-scoring AFL to be shut out.

The Force did have some success at the box office, drawing an average of more than 12,000 fans per home game.

That was a different era for the AFL, which now has another 15 seasons under its belt. It also has a multi-year partnership arrangement with ESPN, which has broadcasting rights and an equity stake in the league.

Spurs Sports & Entertainment is the umbrella organization that now owns and operates the Spurs. It also owns and operates the American Hockey League's San Antonio Rampage and the WNBA's San Antonio Silver Stars.

The Rampage and Silver Stars have both struggled to build an audience in San Antonio. So one might suspect that SS&E is in no hurry to add to its sports franchise portfolio anytime soon.

But SS&E, according to Executive Vice President Rick Pych, has not ruled out making a run at an AFL team for San Antonio and perhaps another tenant for AT&T Center.

"We're always looking for opportunities," Pych says. "We will look at anything that makes sense."

Cynics will argue that San Antonio has participated in more than its share of failed start-up professional football leagues. That involvement began with the World Football League in the mid 1970s and ended with the Canadian Football League more than a decade ago.

AFL supporters contend that the indoor league is no spring chicken. They will remind the critics that the AFL is finishing up its 21st season.

San Antonio and the AFL have both come a long way since 1992. Could the two be reunited?

Says McCloskey: "Once an ownership group presents itself that we feel possesses the right commitment to Arena Football, it won't be long before San Antonio has a team."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:07 PM

Please let this happen! I'm getting sick and tired of these whinny San Antonio posters going on and on about why San Antonio can and should have a football team. Hopefully, this will happen and that will be the end of it!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:37 PM

I don't think many people would go see these games. We want the real deal.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
21bl0wed-I don't think many people would go see these games. We want the real deal.
I completely agree. We want the real thing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 1:38 AM

Not another minor league

I'm with you all. I want the NFL, MLB and nothing less.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 2:19 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Please let this happen! I'm getting sick and tired of these whinny San Antonio posters going on and on about why San Antonio can and should have a football team. Hopefully, this will happen and that will be the end of it!
honestly...yer the one whining here.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 2:20 AM

I'd give it a shot.I watch the AFL from time to time.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:57 AM

The AFL is not the real deal. It's the NFL, MLB or nothing for SA.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Do you have anything better to do?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 9:44 PM

This is news to me and I'm usually in "the-know" about sports in the Alamo City. The AFL is an exciting league with non-traditional owners (Bon Jovi, John Elway...etc) but would need success in SA to survive past year 2.

For example....The Rampage were pretty successful at the gate during years 1 and 2, however they haven't made the playoffs since the inagural season and their attendance has suffered. It also doesn't help that they have been cellar dwellers the past few years.

That being said, I can see SA being intrested the first couple of years but attendance will decline if the teams struggles. I suppose you get that way when you have the most successful franchise in pro sports in the last decade. But given a choice....I'd rather watch an AFL game then the Missions. Dollar beer night still won't get me out to watch a AA team (why the hell do we still have a AA team and not a AAA?). Oh well, enough with my tangent. I'm for the AFL in SA. Someone get Red on the phone.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
This is news to me and I'm usually in "the-know" about sports in the Alamo City. The AFL is an exciting league with non-traditional owners (Bon Jovi, John Elway...etc) but would need success in SA to survive past year 2.

For example....The Rampage were pretty successful at the gate during years 1 and 2, however they haven't made the playoffs since the inagural season and their attendance has suffered. It also doesn't help that they have been cellar dwellers the past few years.

That being said, I can see SA being intrested the first couple of years but attendance will decline if the teams struggles. I suppose you get that way when you have the most successful franchise in pro sports in the last decade. But given a choice....I'd rather watch an AFL game then the Missions. Dollar beer night still won't get me out to watch a AA team (why the hell do we still have a AA team and not a AAA?). Oh well, enough with my tangent. I'm for the AFL in SA. Someone get Red on the phone.
I think it has a lot to do with the low attendance.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALMiKE View Post
True. But I also think it's location. Wolff isn't in a good location where people have sufficient disposable income. Put a stadium anywhere on North 1604 and you'll double attendence. Hell, even downtown would be better location. Residents on the far NE/East side complain about the drive to the Wolff. I live near Helotes and I won't drive out there. It just seems ridiculous that San Antonio is competing against CC, Midland, Frisco etc. At least to me it does.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:51 AM

^ I don't like the location either.I live off Eisenhauer and 35, I love the Missions but have only been to about 10 games.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALMiKE View Post
It's a catch 22. No one wants to see a AA team, therefore low attendance. Low attendance, therefore no AAA team.

Only true hardcore baseball fans are going to go out and watch a bunch of nobodies, 98% of which will never make big leagues. (Nothing against these kids, they work very hard at what they do, and are very talented). At least at the Triple A level, you have a lot of guys who are headed to majors or just got sent down from majors. Big name guys.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 3:17 AM

The location for Wolff isn't very good. It is a 1.5 to 2 hour round trip for NE side residents from Schertz or New Braunfels to get there. I get to the AT&T in 25-30 min for spurs games.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
It's a catch 22. No one wants to see a AA team, therefore low attendance. Low attendance, therefore no AAA team.
That makes a lot of sense. Maybe one year someone will step up and find us an affliate so we can at least become AAA. Here's what's really weird to me......we have a AAA hockey team but a AA baseball team......in South Texas? That don't make a lick of sense to me.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:38 PM

I went to one of the Wranglers games the first season, and I honestly thought it was pretty boring. The best part was watching some of the drunk fans do their little cheers after each score--that and the free pizza from Papa John's after the game. It's just not real football, and I think the Texas fans here in Austin realized that pretty quick. Maybe they'd do better in SA. Good luck to them either way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio