HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:41 PM

I have no idea what that crane is for, but it's too far south to be for this. This project would be right in front of the dark brown building in front of Moody.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I have no idea what that crane is for, but it's too far south to be for this. This project would be right in front of the dark brown building in front of Moody.
You know what, I think your'e right. Pulled up google maps and this may be closer to 12th and & San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:01 AM
Meh

That's definitely not for this building. It's still moving through the review process, and this is too far south to be it. I don't know what building it could be, and I don't know of any high rises planned for the lot that it most likely is, meaning, the sightlines I was looking at aren't putting it on any lots with planned high rises. What building was this photo taken from? Looks like The Bowie maybe?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:54 AM

The crane is for an expansion of the Texas Association of Counties building. TAC is at southwest corner of 13th and San Antonio and this new expansion is halfway between 13th and 12th in the middle of the block.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 8:50 PM
Meh

I edited the Google Earth model I did to include the podium section, which slimmed up the tower to make it more accurate. I also added a few more views.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:54 PM

New elevations have been released. It looks like an improvement. It's no longer a flat top rectangle. I added 2' to the height in the thread title.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...VxjuFkAQ%3D%3D

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:02 PM

...and it has changed from residential/office to all office.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:21 AM

I didn't know this tower ever had residential planned. That design is awesome for the area, and it has staggered glass panels (presumably just to annoy some forumers here.) This should be a standout tower for the Uptown area.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:01 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
and it has staggered glass panels (presumably just to annoy some forumers here.)
Hahahahaha!

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:29 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 7:43 AM

I'll happily offer the criticism that so many build-anything cheerleaders on hear don't like to hear... Austin architecture is overwhelmingly a grab bag of about a dozen (probably fewer) design elements from which any architect gets to draw a handful. The newest one seems to be inclined planes/slightly angled rooftop screening. The most common one is staggered windows or staggered vertical stripes of varying widths. There's not a lot of thought or creativity that goes into these designs. Being such an in-demand city, we should really increase our design standards and not just our height expectations. There's gotta be better ways to reference the surrounding built environment without being so derivative.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
I'll happily offer the criticism that so many build-anything cheerleaders on hear don't like to hear... Austin architecture is overwhelmingly a grab bag of about a dozen (probably fewer) design elements from which any architect gets to draw a handful. The newest one seems to be inclined planes/slightly angled rooftop screening. The most common one is staggered windows or staggered vertical stripes of varying widths. There's not a lot of thought or creativity that goes into these designs. Being such an in-demand city, we should really increase our design standards and not just our height expectations. There's gotta be better ways to reference the surrounding built environment without being so derivative.
Creative design is cool but I'm here for height and density

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:41 PM

It's true -- as soon as I saw this I wondered why they wanted to build the Austin Marriott Downtown AGAIN up by the Capital. But of course it was not only my expired glasses prescription but the fact that they're LITERALLY REUSING THE BLUEPRINTS THAT ONE OF THE MARRIOTT ARCHITECTS BALLED UP AND THREW INTO A PUBLIC TRASHCAN.

DO NOT dumpster dive for your plans, y'all. It confuses us internet gadflies to NO END.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:51 PM

It's not just Austin. It's the prevailing trend pretty much everywhere, save for super high starchitect buildings. Austin just doesn't have the money here yet for such buildings.

It sucks that this is what passes for "design" these days, but I guess that's the fault of architects not Austin.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
It's not just Austin. It's the prevailing trend pretty much everywhere, save for super high starchitect buildings. Austin just doesn't have the money here yet for such buildings.

It sucks that this is what passes for "design" these days, but I guess that's the fault of architects not Austin.
Yeah exactly - look at Brooklyn:

It actually looks from the elevation that the staggered pattern here is created by indentations in the glass, not alternating metal panels, at least on everything but the northern facade. So I don't think this will end up looking much like the Westin or Marriott at all. At the very least it's a way to add interest to what would otherwise be a flat glass curtain wall.

The folded/rounded southeast corner of this building looks like it will bring something new to Austin.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:29 PM
Meh

This one may turn out to be a really sleek tower. I love that every elevation appears to have a different facade pattern. Love them or hate them, but I like that this building will appear completely different from every angle.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post

...and Clients. Sometimes the architects hands are very tied by clients taste and budget. Plus trend can dictate what building Facade systems are available and affordable. Any curve, any angle any inventive materials all mean more $$. Which comes back to : Who has $$ to allow architects to be inventive?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:36 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
It's almost as though Austin's new skyscrapers reflect the trends in architecture globally at the time that they are designed with a view to maximize return on investment for the builder.

Our new buildings are as attractive as any others being built in mid-tier markets that are not designed to be corporate HQs. To me the city has been flexing their muscle on street level interaction, density and low-income housing support which is far more qualitatively useful for the city than aesthetics of buildings.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:56 PM
Old West Austin

Do they have financing lined up for this tower....let alone any tenants?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I went for a drive yesterday to check out the cranes. Was driving south down Guadalupe along the drag and was amazed by the view looking south as you approach MLK. It's crazy just how much that view has changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin