HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
Wow. Last time I drove through this development pre-pandemic it seemed they were just turning dirt. Wouldn't recognize it now. Is there retail in the development too, or is it all residential?
So far the retail seems to consist of a convenience store and a fitness studio, but I have a friend who lives there who claimed that restaurants were on their way. There is also office space in the development.

I'm glad this thread re-surfaced, I've been taking advantage of the cooler weather lately and have been doing a lot of biking around North-Central Austin, and have passed through the Grove a few times now. Some thoughts:

- They did a great job on the park, IMO. Good landscaping and variety, nice playground, lots of people and dogs out and about. I also like the connection through to 45th street.
- The Grove park trail ends abruptly to the south at shoal creek. It looks as if it is intended to continue on, but there's a fence in place. The Shoal Creek trail begins only a few hundred feet to the south, at Gregg Hill park on the other side of some single family homes. It's unclear if there's space to connect these trails (ideally with a pedestrian bridge spanning the creek), but if they did, that would provide for an awesome continuous bike/ped trail from 45th all the way down to the Medical District. Does anyone know if there are plans to do something like this?
- I found the row houses in the Grove to be pretty bland, soulless, and already kind of dated. Idk, it just felt like a compact version of Circle C. Decent density, but could be better.
- The larger, 3+ story condo buildings are nice though, and look like they have some awesome balconies. These remind me of the condo format you often see in Houston, narrow 3-4 story units, and I've always thought those are a better way to do density than Austin's typical detached unit approach.
- The offices and mid-rise apartments are better than average for Austin.
- Private roads (marked with blue signs) are always weird to me, even if it doesn't make a difference.
- I know that the Records Management Division site is state owned and likely to sit as it is, but that lot could be a great redevelopment project.
- I'm really impressed with the bike infrastructure we're getting here and through many of these central-north neighborhoods. There are bottlenecks and a lot of room for improvement, but it feels easy and safe to get around all the way from north shoal creek to campus. I think the biggest problem is that there isn't a great way to avoid Lamar -- there aren't good side streets that follow its path, and Lamar itself is not safely bikeable. If they could really connect the Shoal Creek trail up all the way down to Pease, that would be incredible.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
- The Grove park trail ends abruptly to the south at shoal creek. It looks as if it is intended to continue on, but there's a fence in place. The Shoal Creek trail begins only a few hundred feet to the south, at Gregg Hill park on the other side of some single family homes. It's unclear if there's space to connect these trails (ideally with a pedestrian bridge spanning the creek), but if they did, that would provide for an awesome continuous bike/ped trail from 45th all the way down to the Medical District. Does anyone know if there are plans to do something like this?
I believe there is a requirement for a pedestrian bridge over the creek in the PUD plan.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...018_08-31_.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post

- I'm really impressed with the bike infrastructure we're getting here and through many of these central-north neighborhoods. There are bottlenecks and a lot of room for improvement, but it feels easy and safe to get around all the way from north shoal creek to campus. I think the biggest problem is that there isn't a great way to avoid Lamar -- there aren't good side streets that follow its path, and Lamar itself is not safely bikeable. If they could really connect the Shoal Creek trail up all the way down to Pease, that would be incredible.
The west side sidewalk on Lamar isn't too bad. They've basically turned it into a shared use path in places, including the grade separated undercrossing of 24th. Continuing that widening all the way up to 31st would do a lot.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:51 AM

Ryan Cos., Castletop Capital Break Ground on 222-Unit Community in Austin

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas — A partnership between Minneapolis-based developer Ryan Cos. and locally based investment and management firm Castletop Capital has broken ground on a 222-unit seniors housing project in Austin.

Grand Living at The Grove will be located within a larger mixed-use development and offer 186 independent living and assisted living units, as well as 36 memory care units. Residences will range in size from 450 to 1,600 square feet.

The five-story community will total approximately 348,353 square feet. Completion is slated for late 2024.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:47 PM

Some of these studies......

CONCLUSIONS
• The population continuing to grow in this part of Austin, increasing by an estimated 42% from 2000 to 2040.
• All age groups are represented in the area, so the park system will need a wide range of amenities targeted at all ages.
• Only 10% of the population is under 15. This user group has a strong need for parks and playgrounds should be provided, but
this is not the dominant demand for the park.
• 16% of the population is over 55. This indicates a strong need for passive recreation including trails, and seating areas.
• More than half of the population is between 15 and 24. Trails, active recreation, and social spaces are needed to serve this group

Us 55 and older types, be sure to put wheel chairs out there for us. Make sure they are electrified with plenty of charging stations!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 8:26 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Us 55 and older types, be sure to put wheel chairs out there for us. Make sure they are electrified with plenty of charging stations!
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 6:19 PM

^^^ ha ha, I recall that one.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 4:46 PM

Grand Living at The Grove

Via LinkedIn

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin