HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 8:02 PM

I've grown to be FINE with everything considered here, but still upset we get disposable highrise architecture with Hanover. Truly some of the ugliest filler design out there in America. They can and should do better for Christ's sake.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 10:41 PM

They really need to leave the second story of the building as an open air second story for patio space for those bars. Those bars will never survive without their outdoor patio spaces.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 7:35 PM

Don't know how credible this is so take it with a grain of salt. A friend of mine heard from Coconut Club staff/management that they're not only no longer closing (and thus this is no longer happening anytime soon), but they're also now going to be doing renovations to their current space. I know the market right now is not great so this isn't surprising, but haven't seen/heard anything on this one specifically

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhh_idk View Post
Don't know how credible this is so take it with a grain of salt. A friend of mine heard from Coconut Club staff/management that they're not only no longer closing (and thus this is no longer happening anytime soon), but they're also now going to be doing renovations to their current space. I know the market right now is not great so this isn't surprising, but haven't seen/heard anything on this one specifically
No permits have been filed about this project which would be unusual if the project was moving forward any time soon.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 9:55 PM

Yeah, heard on social media Coconut club is doing renovations. Absolutely love this bar. Walked by last week during Afro Tech conference and it was BOOMIN

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 10:05 PM

I guess I thought that residential projects would still be able to get off the ground at this point, but maybe the debt markets just don't want anything to do with building tall stuff at all.

I'm starting to wonder if the down cycle is going to be longer and deeper than first blush.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 10:18 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

It's not that the debt markets don't want to "build tall." It more like it being cost prohibitive for developers to enter into a construction capital deal right now - regardless of height.

Demand for housing is still there...it's just too expensive to deliver it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
It's not that the debt markets don't want to "build tall." It more like it being cost prohibitive for developers to enter into a construction capital deal right now - regardless of height.

Demand for housing is still there...it's just too expensive to deliver it.
It's a bit of a conundrum. The Fed hikes rates to slow down the economy and fight inflation by making it more expensive to borrow money. But doing that is counterproductive WRT housing inflation. It makes it more cost prohibitive to build more housing. It makes it more difficult to increase supply and bring down prices.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:44 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm glad this one isn't moving forward. I hope during this "down time, the city can push foward with a plan to preserve 4th between Colorado and Lavaca on both sides. Say what you will but Downtown wouldn't be what it is today without the likes of the Warehouse District or 6th or Red River. We still need entertainment blocks scattered within DT or it will just be bland with no character, nothing to keep residents or visitors wanting to be out. We don't need every section of DT built up with skyscrapers. I think blocks like this give better viewing of the surrounding towers anyways.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm glad this one isn't moving forward. I hope during this "down time, the city can push foward with a plan to preserve 4th between Colorado and Lavaca on both sides. Say what you will but Downtown wouldn't be what it is today without the likes of the Warehouse District or 6th or Red River. We still need entertainment blocks scattered within DT or it will just be bland with no character, nothing to keep residents or visitors wanting to be out. We don't need every section of DT built up with skyscrapers. I think blocks like this give better viewing of the surrounding towers anyways.
I semi agree in that I'm glad this plan isn't going through, a great club is going to stay and the street won't be dealing with a "chef driven" restaurant on the corner, but I don't think it's impossible to build up downtown while keeping these spaces.

The plan was, imo, heavily in OCH's favor only, when it could be configured to have space for both bars same as anything being built right now on Rainey. I will concede though that even those are watered down in a way I don't think they need to be.

I do agree that if we don't have space for the amenities that make downtown the destination it's been we will be left with a dead zone, but It's entirely within a developers ability to plan a tower that provides those spaces and homes/offices above them.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Same! Good riddance to this project.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydLeft View Post
I semi agree in that I'm glad this plan isn't going through, a great club is going to stay and the street won't be dealing with a "chef driven" restaurant on the corner, but I don't think it's impossible to build up downtown while keeping these spaces.

The plan was, imo, heavily in OCH's favor only, when it could be configured to have space for both bars same as anything being built right now on Rainey. I will concede though that even those are watered down in a way I don't think they need to be.

I do agree that if we don't have space for the amenities that make downtown the destination it's been we will be left with a dead zone, but It's entirely within a developers ability to plan a tower that provides those spaces and homes/offices above them.
I really feel that the city should push developers to do more with ground or 2nd floor public space with their projects. It's one thing to have restaurant or retail space, but what we need throughout Downtown is music venue space. Austin is supposed to be the Live Music Capital of the world, well then we need more specific use space other than retail or restaurant. Something similar to that ground floor ACL space they have that opens up onto 2nd Street. We need other developers to incorporate that sort of space.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I really feel that the city should push developers to do more with ground or 2nd floor public space with their projects. It's one thing to have restaurant or retail space, but what we need throughout Downtown is music venue space. Austin is supposed to be the Live Music Capital of the world, well then we need more specific use space other than retail or restaurant. Something similar to that ground floor ACL space they have that opens up onto 2nd Street. We need other developers to incorporate that sort of space.
we passed a downtown sound ordinance law maybe a decade ago now that killed the live music scene

https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/nois...oise-ordinance

nobody building anything to accommodate open air live music downtown until that is done away with

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly!

The spaces should have some flexibility to host more than just restaurants or boutique sized retail if we want to have a truly livable downtown. Music venue space, theater space, supermarkets, urbanized big box brands, etc need space that what's coming online downtown can't really handle. The more we can do downtown and depend less on cars the better.

Is there anything we can do besides be armchair developers?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
we passed a downtown sound ordinance law maybe a decade ago now that killed the live music scene

https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/nois...oise-ordinance

nobody building anything to accommodate open air live music downtown until that is done away with
That, and a number of residential buildings either have woefully insufficient soundproofing, or there are people on low enough floors that will end up hearing the noise regardless. IIRC, the Westin Hotel had a lot of trouble with it's crappy soundproofing when it first opened right next to Dirty Sixth.

It always blows my mind being a Rainey resident and seeing both: (1) new construction that doesn't have adequate soundproofing considering how close bars are; and (2) people living in those units that complain about that noise, when they obviously knew what they were signing up for.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:07 PM

https://www.kut.org/business/2023-12...-to-close-down

Quote:
Every day the club is still open, Aguirre said, someone will come in saying they thought the club would be closed already. With the closing date having been moved already once, there was a point where staff thought the club wouldn’t make it past October.

“But we’re already planning for South by Southwest, so I think it’s safe to say we’ll be here through then and then March,” Aguirre said.

He’s not sure what will come beyond that but has heard the club will possibly close down in the summer.

Cole Evans, co-owner of Coconut Club, said he hasn’t heard much from developers and doesn’t know what their timeline is for the proposed demolition. He said it’s important to note they knew Coconut Club’s time could end early when they signed the lease, as long as they were given notice at least two years in advance.

Aguirre said whenever a finite date is announced, Coconut Club will likely make an event out of it and celebrate the club every day leading up to it.

The developer, Hanover Company, did not respond to a request for comment.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:56 PM

I hope Coconut club is already looking for a new spot just incase. I really love the vibes from there

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin