HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Aqua is looking nice. Someone needs to do a pic from the other side.
Yeah the other side looks great, I drive by it everyday. They're using a dark, smokey colored glass and you can already see the window edge on each floor going diagonally up the building (like in the rendering), very stylish.

EDIT: Hmm, I think the parking garage is going to be a lot bigger than it looks in this rendering.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by RobMidtowner; Jan 9, 2007 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 7:34 PM

This is one building that's very hard to really discern what the final look is going to be. As RobMidtowner pointed out and you can see from the rendering, they are using two different glass colors and it does look really good as far as I can conceive. There’s just so much still left to the imagination that I can’t grasp the final product yet. I agree the parking structure is much larger looking than in the rendering. I’m hoping the covering/glass will soften its street level blow from how it looks now. The building is honestly one of the most complex I’ve seen rise in Midtown in years from the look of the skeleton. Still, this is a very classy looking building so far. I’m really thinking this would be a good place to live if condo life was your desire.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Aqua is looking nice. Someone needs to do a pic from the other side.
I'll take some tomorrow if the weather permits.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I'll take some tomorrow if the weather permits.
The forecast is for clear weather, so you have no excuse! Thanks in advance...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 2:45 PM

One thing about the parking deck, I'm pretty sure it'll have some sort of "windows" which do not appear in that rendering.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jan 10, 2007 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 3:42 PM

Quote:
One thing about the parking deck, I'm pretty sure it'll have some sort of "windows" which do not appear in the rendering.
Are you sure about that? Because on the South and West sides they've basically closed it up already with concrete cinder blocks. Unless they cover those up with glass, I think it will be just a concrete wall. Hopefully they'll do something to make it look better like painting at least.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Are you sure about that? Because on the South and West sides they've basically closed it up already with concrete cinder blocks. Unless they cover those up with glass, I think it will be just a concrete wall. Hopefully they'll do something to make it look better like painting at least.
Well I'm basing that on the rendering on the website as well as the fly-over video.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Well I'm basing that on the rendering on the website as well as the fly-over video.
Oh, I see what you're saying, hopefully they will include these in the final design instead of a concrete wall.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:17 PM

Construction Photos from Aqua's website

Northwest view

West view

South view

East view

Looks like they're on the 18th floor.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see what you're saying, hopefully they will include these in the final design instead of a concrete wall.
Also the deck faces other buildings on its south and West(eventually) so the blank wall isn't as bad.

I didn't know the site had construction pics. cool.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
The forecast is for clear weather, so you have no excuse! Thanks in advance...
Here's a pic from the other side.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:40 AM

Scania, you are a man of your word. You didn't go out and rent a helicopter like RobMidtowner did, but you brought us a great view of the emerging facade. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Looks like they're on the 18th floor.
Nice find, RobMidtowner! These views show how much 10th Street is building up. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the real estate market dictates a higher use for the empty lot north of Aqua than the two antennas now occupying that site.

To me, one of the most exciting things to come is the continued development of major east-west corridors intersecting the Peachtrees. 5th Street is a good model for how to traverse the Connector with a broad avenue, fitting seamlessly with foot-friendly sidewalks and storefronts. 10th Street and 14th Street have even greater potential to spread highrise developments to both sides of the Peachtree spine. I would add streetcars on those streets to feed the intersecting MARTA North Line stations.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 4:43 AM
Dutton Brown Design

That west facing huge wall is just screaming to be tagged with graffiti...
or to be built flush against (:-D) another building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Nice find, RobMidtowner! These views show how much 10th Street is building up. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the real estate market dictates a higher use for the empty lot north of Aqua than the two antennas now occupying that site.

To me, one of the most exciting things to come is the continued development of major east-west corridors intersecting the Peachtrees. 5th Street is a good model for how to traverse the Connector with a broad avenue, fitting seamlessly with foot-friendly sidewalks and storefronts. 10th Street and 14th Street have even greater potential to spread highrise developments to both sides of the Peachtree spine. I would add streetcars on those streets to feed the intersecting MARTA North Line stations.
Yeah, I keep hoping someone will see the potential of the antenna site. That particular lot is much higher in elevation than the surrounding land and could make a relatively short building look considerably taller. Or make a tall building look gigantic!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Here's a pic from the other side.
[IMG][/IMG]
Nice
Thanks !

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:45 PM

Hmm, on second glance the parking deck does look somewhat inline with the rendering.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:14 PM

Yeah, The large metal strip you see running in line with the windows about 10' down from the glass is in line with the rendering of the glass coming down over the lip of the parking deck. The rendering has different shadings for the parking podium. I wonder if this was just artistic rendering or if the podium will have some metalic/paint scheme to it. The rendering almost looks like it's panels of some sort covering the podium so some sort of metal would be nice IMO, but it looks almost like an EFIS treatment is being applied higher up the building that is the same color as the podium in the rendering.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jan 11, 2007 at 3:15 PM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:20 PM

The virtual tour also shows windows on the parking garage:
http://www.aquamidtown.com/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 4:35 PM

How much taller is Aqua going to be compared to Plaza Midtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive