HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:32 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It’s not a waste of land if they’re bring used. Not liking them doesn’t make them a waste. They are useful and serve a purpose. Could they be integrated better? Yes. Could they have dual purposes? Yes.

But, they are not wasteful uses of land.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
But that's exactly what we have now, except scattered throughout, not clustered. It's still a waste of land.
I know. That's why I'm so pissed that this project has a stand alone garage, rather then underground, or pedestal.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It’s not a waste of land if they’re bring used. Not liking them doesn’t make them a waste. They are useful and serve a purpose. Could they be integrated better? Yes. Could they have dual purposes? Yes.

Yes, using prime downtown real estate for car storage is a waste of land.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:

Yes they are. If retail, or a hotel, or business tower were there, they would generate more revenue for the city.

And if we just end up tearing down these eyesores for just such uses, then what was the point? If using up prime DT land for parking cars isn't a waste, I don't what is.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:51 PM

I haven't dug more into it, but judging from the renderings it looks like that parking garage can easily be renovated to add retail on the bottom + additional parking levels when demand is needed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:12 PM

Maybe we can make a parking garage thread for those who love talking about parking garages!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 10:33 PM

At http://forum.parkinggaragepage.com San Antonio is considered the greatest city in the world!

Seriously, if you want more skyscrapers in SA, mass transit is a big piece of the puzzle.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, using prime downtown real estate for car storage is a waste of land.
Again, if the garage is being used for the purpose it was set out for, it’s nit a waste of use. Seriously, it’s a basic and simple concept and word. You and restless don’t like the use, that’s obvious. Your opinion doesn’t change the fact that it’s not wasteful. I agree, I’d much prefer a mixed use with parking built into the structure, but I’m also sensible enough to acknowledge that a parking garage is not wasteful nor a waste of land.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yes they are. If retail, or a hotel, or business tower were there, they would generate more revenue for the city.
That still doesn’t make parking garages a waste.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Again, if the garage is being used for the purpose it was set out for, it’s nit a waste of use. Seriously, it’s a basic and simple concept and word. You and restless don’t like the use, that’s obvious. Your opinion doesn’t change the fact that it’s not wasteful. I agree, I’d much prefer a mixed use with parking built into the structure, but I’m also sensible enough to acknowledge that a parking garage is not wasteful nor a waste of land.
Whatever "waste of use" means, it's not the same thing as underutilizing downtown real estate for car storage. Personally I'm in favor of demolishing every parking garage downtown and turning all the land into butterfly sanctuary. As long as there's butterflies, it's not a waste of use!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Whatever "waste of use" means, it's not the same thing as underutilizing downtown real estate for car storage. Personally I'm in favor of demolishing every parking garage downtown and turning all the land into butterfly sanctuary. As long as there's butterflies, it's not a waste of use!
There’s no need to sink to a sarcastic and sophomoric level with your response. If you’re incapable of having a serious and well thought out debate about this subject, then perhaps you should disengage altogether.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
That is not practical. This is a devolving city and this forum is always wanting perfection. We will not be Manhattan overnight or never but thy also have parking garages and surface lots.

FYI

According to Park It! Guides, a directory of Manhattan parking garages, there are 1,100 off-street parking garages and 100,000 spaces in outdoor parking lots in Manhattan.Dec 12, 2018

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:44 AM
JACKinBeantown

I don't mind the butterfly comment. I appreciate a little silliness now and then along with good thoughts and sharing of ideas. And retail... lots and lots of retail.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
FYI

According to Park It! Guides, a directory of Manhattan parking garages, there are 1,100 off-street parking garages and 100,000 spaces in outdoor parking lots in Manhattan.Dec 12, 2018
Please express these numbers as a ratio of space used for parking as opposed to space used for other purposes in Manhattan. Now compare this ratio to downtown San Antonio's ratio.

edit: did you really mean devolving?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:07 AM

The great thing about a parking garage is that it holds no historical significance and can be easily demolished once the land becomes too valuable. I'm assuming any excavation work would be pretty straight forward for future developers. I'm sure the developer's considered future land use and costs for the next 10 plus years.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 6:13 AM

Nothing new has been built in this area in decades. Now we are getting two new filler buildings. Great. Let's be glad for that. For growth of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:04 PM

To those on this forum: Using a "yes" or "no" category response, with no further explanation of your choice in your response, are "you happy this stucture is being built downtown" or are "you unhappy this stucture is being built downtown."

Let's keep things simple and civil.

My choice: I'm happy it's being built.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:52 PM

Good morning San Antonio ParkingGaragePage forum!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:09 PM

Way I see it something is better than nothing! We are in the frontier days of the downtown building boom.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Way I see it something is better than nothing! We are in the frontier days of the downtown building boom.
Good point. Very good point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio