HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:44 AM
ARTchitecture

Park Point | 107 M & 84 M | 35 & 27 FLOORS

Construction has finally begun!

Park Point by
Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:11 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Two drills working away now.

I like how Qualex is all action with very little talk. Didn't even hear a peep about ground breaking, just rolled out the equipment and got started. Opposite approach Lamb took here. It's funny seeing Qualex putting the finishing touches on Mark on 10th while 6th and 10th is somehow still a pit, even though Lamb had a good 1 - 2 yr sales launch head start.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Two drills working away now.

I like how Qualex is all action with very little talk. Didn't even hear a peep about ground breaking, just rolled out the equipment and got started. Opposite approach Lamb took here. It's funny seeing Qualex putting the finishing touches on Mark on 10th while 6th and 10th is somehow still a pit, even though Lamb had a good 1 - 2 yr sales launch head start.
Agreed. I hate Qualex, but I need to give credit where credit is due. They are efficient during the construction process.

Does Lamb work that slowly intentionally or is the construction company inept?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:24 PM
I am the law!

Lamb is a small developer in a new city. He's not getting the fastest crews or has a long list on investors to reach presale targets in no time. With that said, forumers are ignoring the small site of 6th and 10th and therefore the depth needed to meet the parking requirements.A major advantage to low slung podiums and towers in parks is to spread the parking out on fewer floors. One more floor can easily add 3 months.

in the end, 6th and 10th has the potential to be a great looking tower. I can't say the same with Park Point.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:17 AM

Agree that while Qualex might get things done, the final product is definitely hit or miss aesthetically. The colored section of Mark on 10th looks pretty bad in my opinion, and WAM looks to be even worse with all those mullions. If the renderings of Park are to be believed, we'll get the same over-wrought with mullions look here too. At least Luna et al look nice though (although Ive heard they had some big issues with construction quality).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 12:53 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
In the end, 6th and 10th has the potential to be a great looking tower. I can't say the same with Park Point.
I don't think many of us here would agree that Park Point doesn't have the potential to be a nice looking tower.

http://everydaytourist.ca/blog/2015/...s-park-avenue-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Agree that while Qualex might get things done, the final product is definitely hit or miss aesthetically. The colored section of Mark on 10th looks pretty bad in my opinion, and WAM looks to be even worse with all those mullions. If the renderings of Park are to be believed, we'll get the same over-wrought with mullions look here too. At least Luna et al look nice though (although Ive heard they had some big issues with construction quality).
Qualex has nothing to do with Tenth Avenue (formerly called WAM).

I think the renders of Park Point actually look really honest. You can see exactly where the spandrel and mullions will be, so there's not really any way to be disappointed when the product comes to life.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:53 AM
BANNED

^I had a good look at WAM the other day. I actually think the black cladding looks pretty good, esp with more of it coming together.

Quote:
Lamb is a small developer in a new city. He's not getting the fastest crews or has a long list on investors to reach presale targets in no time. With that said, forumers are ignoring the small site of 6th and 10th and therefore the depth needed to meet the parking requirements.A major advantage to low slung podiums and towers in parks is to spread the parking out on fewer floors. One more floor can easily add 3 months.

in the end, 6th and 10th has the potential to be a great looking tower. I can't say the same with Park Point.
Lambs got some nice designs but he did come in acting like a condo god while 6th and 10th has turned into to a timeline fiasco. I think the worst part with all the delays was the empty promises - start dates etc. Hopefully Orchard goes smoother but they've launched a yr ago and still no action there. The Royal and Park Point launched 6 months later and both already u/c. Also Parkside launched about the same time as Orchard last yr and those 6 buildings are nearly sold out while last I checked Orchard was only ~40% sold. Do hope he gains some momentum here though.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:55 AM
ARTchitecture

Oh, I didn't realize Orchard had started sales! Cool!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:04 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
^I had a good look at WAM the other day. I actually think the black cladding looks pretty good, esp with more of it coming together.

Lambs got some nice designs but he did come in acting like a condo god while 6th and 10th has turned into to a timeline fiasco. I think the worst part with all the delays was the empty promises - start dates etc. Hopefully Orchard goes smoother but they've launched a yr ago and still no action there. The Royal and Park Point launched 6 months later and both already u/c. Also Parkside launched about the same time as Orchard last yr and those 6 buildings are nearly sold out while last I checked Orchard was only ~40% sold. Do hope he gains some momentum here though.
I don't like Lamb and his used car salesman tactics. I'm not a fan of his interiors and questionable quality (which is not necessarily his fault except for his after sales service) None of that effects me. He hires good design firms and builds with curtain wall.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:09 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't think many of us here would agree that Park Point doesn't have the potential to be a nice looking tower.

http://everydaytourist.ca/blog/2015/...s-park-avenue-

Qualex has nothing to do with Tenth Avenue (formerly called WAM).

I think the renders of Park Point actually look really honest. You can see exactly where the spandrel and mullions will be, so there's not really any way to be disappointed when the product comes to life.
Good for them. I just see a ton of spandrel, a hokey pattern and, mustard yellow cornices. The podium is another two storey afterthought of townhomes with a large blank wall right on the corner.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't like Lamb and his used car salesman tactics. I'm not a fan of his interiors and questionable quality (which is not necessarily his fault except for his after sales service) None of that effects me. He hires good design firms and builds with curtain wall.
Lol very true to all the above.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Good for them. I just see a ton of spandrel, a hokey pattern and, mustard yellow cornices. The podium is another two storey afterthought of townhomes with a large blank wall right on the corner.
If the cornices are wood podema, project will get a bump up.

I agree about the podium. Should have had large retail bays along 12th ave and at least the southern half of 2nd st. Nicest park in the Beltline is just across the street.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
If the cornices are wood podema, project will get a bump up.

I agree about the podium. Should have had large retail bays along 12th ave and at least the southern half of 2nd st. Nicest park in the Beltline is just across the street.
There is a decent sized 2300sq foot retail bay right on 12th, and while the rest are "live-work" condos I wouldn't be surprised to see them more service business focused similar to many of the ones we've seen built in other projects.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:03 PM

Crane Installed at Park Point Site

Quote:
The tower crane is evidently becoming a neighbourhood symbol for Calgary's Beltline. The area's resounding success and energy is partly due to its location just south of the downtown core, which has become a major selling point for the slew of condominiums that are driving the neighbourhood's urban transition. Vancouver developer Qualex-Landmark has been watching the Beltline's dramatic redevelopment unfold from the front lines at their Park Point project. After digging at the corner of 12 Avenue SW and 2 Street SW for months, construction crews have successfully installed the 34-storey development's crane.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:45 PM

^Yeah actually it was installed two weeks ago.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:20 PM

Not that I don't venture there every so often, but Im surprised SSP doesn't care very much that there are "members" here with the sole purpose of directing users to a rival forum.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:00 PM

It doesn't look like anyone is following this thread, but if so, three levels of cladding are up.

http://skyrisecities.com/forum/threa...1#post-1206776

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:13 PM

I'm following it somewhat. I actually really like it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 9:26 PM

I can see a sliver of the building from my office. Good to know it still has another ~20 levels to go until its topped out!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates