HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:27 AM
ARTchitecture

The Hat | 88 M / 289 FT | 28 FLOORS

Thought we should start up a thread for this. I know the economy is on the downslope, but I feel like with the impressive sales at N3, that Cidex will have the guts to get this project in the ground. There is clearly demand for it. The project website still says intended start date in 2015.

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/cidex/

From mid-June...

Calgary approves density deal for 1st rental building in East Village
City approves transfer of density from Simmons warehouse site

Quote:
Thanks to a density swap with another development in the area, the East Village will get its first residential rental building,

Calgary city council has approved a transfer of unused density from the Simmons building site to allow a 221 unit rental building on Seventh Avenue near Fifth Street southeast.

The developer, Cidex, says the building will include one, two and three bedroom units, something that's not currently available in the condominiums of the East Village area.

The redevelopment of the East Village area is being overseen by Calgary's Municipal Land Corporation. CMLC's Susan Veres says the addition of a rental building to the area was a priority.

"You could buy a unit in the East Village but you couldn't rent so it was pretty important for us to bring that into the community," she said.

Transferring density from the Simmons building allows the developer to build 64 additional units in the rental tower and Coun. Druh Farrel likes the idea.

"It's a creative solution to a neighbourhood. It brings in a use that's desperately needed in the core," she said.

The rental units will be available at market rates. There are currently no plans to build subsidized or affordable housing in the area.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lage-1.3115225

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:32 PM
Khan

Unfortunately, this one is pretty ugly.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:55 PM
arf

It's mostly harmless, but why name it after another city?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:44 PM

"You could buy a unit in the East Village but you couldn't rent so it was pretty important for us to bring that into the community," she said.

Yeah, except for the 3 pages of current available units in the East Village on Rentfaster.

There are lots of rental units in the East Village and there will be a lot more with or without this development. They are not "bringing that into the community".

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:48 PM

Does every building have to have a silly name now? If they can't think of something decent/relevant why can't they just use the address?

Unless I'm missing something and it means something, but let's be honest 'The Hat' is a shit name for this building.

The building looks fine though, just inoffensive decent quality filler. I'd rather many more buildings like this that aren't trying to be unique.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Apparently site prep is now underway.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Apparently site prep is now underway.
Drills on site?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:26 AM

The "Hat" needs a Hat.... LOL!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Unfortunately, this one is pretty ugly.
Ugly or bland? I don't find anything particularly ugly about it. Bland or average yes, but ugly?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:24 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Ugly or bland? I don't find anything particularly ugly about it. Bland or average yes, but ugly?
From the renderings, looks like this one will have a lot of spandrel. I suspect that the finished product is going to look pretty cheap.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. And, even if it is ugly, its not the end of the world. Its an infill rental building that will ultimately be good for the neighbourhood.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:31 PM

I'm a fan of the ground level, but the building itself looks kind of cheap. It's going to look like Aura

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:17 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
From the renderings, looks like this one will have a lot of spandrel. I suspect that the finished product is going to look pretty cheap.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. And, even if it is ugly, its not the end of the world. Its an infill rental building that will ultimately be good for the neighbourhood.
Thankfully there are/will be towers surrounding it, so it will not be so prominent once the neighbourhood is finished. Another new tower in the EV can't be a bad thing, especially since it will be the first two have 3-bedroom units

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:27 AM

Does no one else see the actual Hat on this thing?

Is it just me; do I want to see a Hat on it so bad that I've created my own reality?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:34 AM
ARTchitecture

OMG I just looked closely and I totally see it! It's a tophat on the top of the building! I love it haha! Thanks for pointing that out man!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 4:06 AM
Editor

If this building is indeed under construction, then wow East Village!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:02 AM
ARTchitecture

No no, I just said site prep. Like removal of trees and grass and shit.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:47 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
The "Hat" needs a Hat.... LOL!
Umm, take a closer looker at the rendering. The dark grey mechanical penthouse and cantilevered slabs form a hat.

Edit: nevermind.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Crap, now I see the hat too. So much for thinking we were beginning to name towers after Alberta cities.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
I suspect that the finished product is going to look pretty cheap.
Well it is a Cidex job...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:41 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I'm a fan of the ground level, but the building itself looks kind of cheap. It's going to look like Aura
I think the podium needs to be at least three stories taller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates