HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
Love it 25 37.31%
Like it 38 56.72%
Hate it 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:35 AM
Community Guy

Jeez Wiz I wish we were getting a Marriott 2008

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Deprived spambot. As usual 5 times the amount of inner-city construction as overachieving deadmo, keep zooming into your 3 tower arena block. DECL needs 10,000 more posts from you by the end of the month or you're fired!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:03 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
I wonder how quickly the mods would come down on one of us if we went into Edmonton's section and starting spam trolling all of your city's crappy projects, or even the 4 nice ones? You need to stop man, just because our projects are better, typically way higher quality, and get more notice (because we have triple+ the amount of them) doesn't mean you need to throw a trolling tantrum on our threads like you've been doing the past little while. I'm sure you're a big boy, now act like it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:16 PM
Community Guy

Simply commenting about how both of our cities are getting new Marriott hotels, with outs being a JW. Exciting times!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:30 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I wonder how quickly the mods would come down on one of us if we went into Edmonton's section and starting spam trolling all of your city's crappy projects, or even the 4 nice ones? You need to stop man, just because our projects are better, typically way higher quality, and get more notice (because we have triple+ the amount of them) doesn't mean you need to throw a trolling tantrum on our threads like you've been doing the past little while. I'm sure you're a big boy, now act like it.
It's all good buddy!

Think of it this way...short guys always hate on tall guys. Same goes with cities in Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:28 PM

Lol! A simple little jab at one building and the response is three negative comments at a whole city; who's really not acting like a big boy here hmm...

Anyway, both projects are great additions to their respective areas. I hope whatever/whenever developments on the liquor store site will not be tall!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:28 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Simply commenting about how both of our cities are getting new Marriott hotels, with outs being a JW. Exciting times!
Yeah right. So many Marriott branded hotels nationwide built or in development. Likely multiple being developed or recently completed in either city.

First I can think of with the luxury JW name. Gotta show that off. Definitely has more prestige than the largest Residence Inn.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary has a JW proposed to, it's the hotel component of the 7-tower Eau Claire development. We just don't need to brag about it because we already have a kickass skyline and a few hotels in development.

Quote:
You've been doing this trolling shit on multiple threads, you weren't "simply" pointing out anything.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Jee Whiz I wish we were getting a fantastic tower designed by Bjarke Ingels or maybe a tower designed by Norman Foster that blows away anything in Edmonton or a new library or a National Music Centre that also again blow away anything in Edmonton, or maybe a pedestrian bridge designed by Calatrava, etc.......oh wait

Anyways, congrats on getting a JW Marriott, but seriously though did you really feel that was a constructive post, or is it more of a case 'hey look everyone, since you guys don't bother to come to our thread to post about your great projects, I'll pop down to yours and try and get a snide comment in, after all, someone needs to make sure you guys care about us....c'mon please just pay attention to us'??

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Let it go guys.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 8:24 PM

Agreed, this isn't about Edmonton, it's about one poster who routinely puts up stupid posts as an attempt to get attention. You guys have seen enough of his posts you should know that by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
Lol! A simple little jab at one building and the response is three negative comments at a whole city; who's really not acting like a big boy here hmm...

Anyway, both projects are great additions to their respective areas. I hope whatever/whenever developments on the liquor store site will not be tall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Let it go guys.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 4:41 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Calgary has a JW proposed to, it's the hotel component of the 7-tower Eau Claire development. We just don't need to brag about it because we already have a kickass skyline and a few hotels in development.

You've been doing this trolling shit on multiple threads, you weren't "simply" pointing out anything.
No offense but, " we don't need to brag" made me smile. You feverishly posting a half dozen times about the largest Residence Inn over the past month does encourage people like Cold. Need to tone down on the eagerness. Fantastic loses its meaning when applied to nearly everything.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 7:59 PM
Community Guy

Holy crap guys... a little competitive humour here. Calgary has had it good for so long and shoved it in our face, this was but a simple retort.

I like Calgary, its developments and have been impressed for many years on the changes taking place.

If anything, a couple of folks there need to 'let it go'.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 4:45 AM

I agree let it go. We live in a great province with two great cities...I love them both!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 4:09 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Holy crap guys... a little competitive humour here. Calgary has had it good for so long and shoved it in our face, this was but a simple retort.
Can you elaborate on this claim? I'm not saying it isn't valid but shedding some light may help create a general understanding.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Holy crap guys... a little competitive humour here.
I'm with you on this Coldrsx. Many of the folks on these forums are immature snotnosed kids who get immensely defensive at the slightest chance anyone thinks differently than they, and immediately launch into attack. I enjoy humour and a dose of positive competition, and have no issues with most of your posts.

---

Now kids - let's carry on please. Thank-you.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Jee Whiz I wish we were getting a fantastic tower designed by Bjarke Ingels or maybe a tower designed by Norman Foster that blows away anything in Edmonton or a new library or a National Music Centre that also again blow away anything in Edmonton, or maybe a pedestrian bridge designed by Calatrava, etc.......oh wait

Anyways, congrats on getting a JW Marriott, but seriously though did you really feel that was a constructive post, or is it more of a case 'hey look everyone, since you guys don't bother to come to our thread to post about your great projects, I'll pop down to yours and try and get a snide comment in, after all, someone needs to make sure you guys care about us....c'mon please just pay attention to us'??

I'm not so sure that bridge is something to brag about, lol.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Personally I love the bridge, but I believe this thread is about the Marriott Residence project.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:29 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
A lot of people would disagree, but it's okay to not like it. You must see that most people do like it though?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 8:52 PM
I am the law!

Edmonton's recent cultural additions are on par with the NMC despite everyone going gaga over the tiles. Kelly Ramsey is a quality build with a great street interface. Easily one of the Top 5 commercial developments in recent years in Alberta despite maybe not being as flashy as those in Calgary. Residential design is approaching par.

The bridge for a Calatrava is a letdown. I prefer his (future) trademark bridge design in Toronto despite it being a quarter the size and rotting away after 25 years. Not aware of anything in Edmonton though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates