HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design and room for improvements?
Love 7 7.22%
Like it 52 53.61%
List it 38 39.18%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:27 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
The lukewarm acceptance of this Oxford tower brings a question to mind:

Given that the main criticisms of the tower are that it is generic, devoid of distinguishing features, and conservative, how much should (or can) a project strive to suit a particular location?

The Bow reflects several elements of local geography, but in my opinion is fairly insensitive to its immediate surroundings. Brookfield Place somewhat responds to its surroundings, but would not be out of place in Houston, Toronto, or Sydney. Telus Sky seems to fit its environment well, but will forever be compared to Beach and Howe. In a globalized world, are urban environments becoming more and more the same? Should walking down the street in Calgary feel like walking down the street in Toronto?

Is it possible to get an iconic 1-of-a-kind tower in 2014? Starchitects tend to protect a brand, and shareholders expect a functional, conservative investment. Obviously, these rules are different in Asia and the Middle East, where labour is dirt cheap and companies may be controlled to single families..

I'm not sure what exactly I would have liked to go in the place of Oxford's tower. Other than vague comparative adjectives like "taller", "more beautiful", "better", I don't know what to say. By no means do I think curvier is better, though I think most SSPers would prefer curves. After all, curves are easier to design and build than in the past, and therefore might be indicative of our era of architecture.

What do you guys think?
No need to worry. One of a kind buildings will continue to get built with the majority of them turning their back on fitting into the urban fabric. Fitting in defeats the purpose of most star architect's visions.

The aspect that a few curves will improve a design does often rub me the wrong way. There have been some well done "boxes" that get lumped in with the rest. There have also been some poorly thought out designs featuring curves and such that get praised. Of course, I want better but, the reality is tenants are demanding highly efficient, identical floor plans and developers are filling that demand with extruded right angled forms.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:42 AM
ARTchitecture

Shanghai Tower. Shard. Devon. TransBay. Eureka.

These are the things we should be striving to. Not City Centre.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:42 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

My feelings pretty much what has already been said - pretty good but not outstanding which we were all hoping for.
I like the profile it will cut from the north and south. But I worry it will be a girthy slab from the east & west.
Go taller, much taller I say!
Having said that, we are spoiled in this city when this proposal is met with such indifference.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:01 AM

This thing is going to get kicked around and re-designed a little, so it's probably a ways off! When it's all said and done, I'd bet this will be in the 270-280 meter range. Bet on it!! Unless they "Punk Out" with a couple of TWINS!! (OMG... I said that dreadful word)!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:21 PM
I am the law!

It's odd the Oxford logo doesn't appear on the renderings.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:27 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's odd the Oxford logo doesn't appear on the renderings.
Don't worry about that.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Looks decent, but it reminds me of the original design for Penny Lane Towers (save for a single tower) before it was redesigned to 8th Avenue Place.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:15 PM

I voted that I like it. I know many feel it's a disappointment given the location, but I voted simply on what I thought of the tower, and overall I like it. It's basic and simple, and I have no problem with that.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:19 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I voted "Like it" too, but want to qualify that in the fact that the design is decent enough, but NOT for this site.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
i voted "like it" too, but want to qualify that in the fact that the design is decent enough, but not for this site.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:29 PM

This has to be a place holder. The podium looks too simple to be real.

With the amount of space already u/c and uncertainty around energy pricing, Oxford won't be building anytime soon.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:33 PM

Definitely could be a placeholder, particularly since it looks so similar to Penny Lane

It's possible that they are 'pre-leasing' right now for a large tenant - maybe they're trying to provide some incentive for that prospective tenant by giving them some input into a final design?

I mean if you're a predominant tenant in a new tallest building in Calgary, you'd want to occupy a building that is pretty marquee

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:36 PM
ARTchitecture

This could be the older version from years ago.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:38 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
This could be the older version from years ago.
You mean before Oxford owned the site?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:44 PM

Not even moved to Calgary yet but hope you don't mind me asking what you're all moaning at? Maybe the scale of awesome development out there has got people used to this sort of proposal.

For what its worth, I think it's width will be all important and you can't really get a decent grasp of the x and y dimensions on those mockups. Provided it isn't too wide it'll look towering and the design leaves potential for some pretty lighting effects.

Imagine it at 280m, could add something special to the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:49 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsALondonThing View Post
Not even moved to Calgary yet but hope you don't mind me asking what you're all moaning at? Maybe the scale of awesome development out there has got people used to this sort of proposal.

For what its worth, I think it's width will be all important and you can't really get a decent grasp of the x and y dimensions on those mockups. Provided it isn't too wide it'll look towering and the design leaves potential for some pretty lighting effects.

Imagine it at 280m, could add something special to the skyline.
I think the height is what most people aren't happy about. If this tower was 280m, most people would like it.

Personally, I like the design of the tower, and have not problem with it being boxish, but wish it was taller....mainly just because of its location. If it was somewhere along 9th ave I would be very happy with it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I think the height is what most people aren't happy about. If this tower was 280m, most people would like it.

Personally, I like the design of the tower, and have not problem with it being boxish, but wish it was taller....mainly just because of its location. If it was somewhere along 9th ave I would be very happy with it.
I've missed the actual detail of its height. How tall is it?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We're not sure yet. Rumored to be a new tallest, so 250m+

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

No confirmed height given yet.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:01 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
We don't have confirmation of that yet. All we know is that it's only "slightly" taller than Brookfield Place, our current new tallest which is still under construction at 247 meters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates