HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:56 PM
ARTchitecture

New Central Library | Construction

No new information, just figured we ought to have a place dedicated to this development, since it is greatly anticipated by so many here, and will be such a major part of the transformation of the East Village. With Snohetta at the reins, it is sure to be one of the coolest buildings this city has seen!

We should see renders released within the next 6 months, with construction beginning (I think) in October.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
No new information, just figured we ought to have a place dedicated to this development, since it is greatly anticipated by so many here, and will be such a major part of the transformation of the East Village. With Snohetta at the reins, it is sure to be one of the coolest buildings this city has seen!

We should see renders released within the next 6 months, with construction beginning (I think) in October.
I so wish the Science Centre and this Library project could have aligned, and created a grander project on a single site akin to some of Snohetta's most celebrated knowledge hub projects.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:49 PM

So this thought recently came to mind, as the Library is to be design to architecturally accommodate the LRT portal... I'm sure that the connection between the 2 lines will be retained, in case of an emergency under 8th Ave, but I am curious if the design/location was thoroughly thought through with the future separation of the C-Train lines. However It isn't going to be as architecturally significant any more with an unused train line entering and exiting the building. I also really hope there will be a direct underground connection to the library from City Hall station.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I so wish the Science Centre and this Library project could have aligned, and created a grander project on a single site akin to some of Snohetta's most celebrated knowledge hub projects.
new science center is in a terrible location. Rather them have left it where it was and maybe renovated/expanded it. Right next to the new c-train station would have been perfect where it was. Now its in the middle of nowhere and its a huge lifeless warehouse with no character or charm. They dropped the ball on that one big time

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
new science center is in a terrible location. Rather them have left it where it was and maybe renovated/expanded it. Right next to the new c-train station would have been perfect where it was. Now its in the middle of nowhere and its a huge lifeless warehouse with no character or charm. They dropped the ball on that one big time
Couldn't agree more. Why can't you pick an empty lot near Vic Park Station? Can you imagine if the Beltline had an institution like this? Huge wasted opportunity.

To add insult to injury, they clearly didn't work with the Zoo at all: what's the point of building it tantalizingly close to the LRT station but not do anything to develop even a rudimentary sidewalk or orientate the building so it has better access?

Hopefully they will rip it down in 30 years and come back into the city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Couldn't agree more. Why can't you pick an empty lot near Vic Park Station? Can you imagine if the Beltline had an institution like this? Huge wasted opportunity.

To add insult to injury, they clearly didn't work with the Zoo at all: what's the point of building it tantalizingly close to the LRT station but not do anything to develop even a rudimentary sidewalk or orientate the building so it has better access?

I agree too. It would be nice if one day the zoo parking lots were completely redeveloped - i.e. a multi-story zoo parking and 10 acres of East Village style neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

yeah and its not even close to the Ctrain station. The zoo is close to the ctrain station. Telus spark is not. Another huge strike against it. IMO we should have more stations that are enclosed inside cultural hubs. Like the science center been built right off the c-train line and encapsulated the station somehow so you could get from the train to inside the building without stepping outdoors. Something really nice. Not some generic crap warehouse in the middle of nowhere. The have stuff like "adult nights" there. Ok, gonna go there, get a little drunk, take the train home. Nope. Now I go there, have a good time, drink etc. then have to hike 30 minutes to the freakin ctrain station. Way to ruin something that should have been urban and metropolitan.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:04 PM
Here and There

OMG people! The new science centre IS close to LRT!!! I have high hopes for this area and some redevelopment.

I think pairing the Zoo and science centre is a neat idea; but please, make some better promenade / sidewalk connections to it!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:06 PM
Here and There

30 minutes? Are you walking on your hands and taking breaks along the way? The station is right there.....

Quote:
yeah and its not even close to the Ctrain station. The zoo is close to the ctrain station. Telus spark is not. Another huge strike against it. IMO we should have more stations that are enclosed inside cultural hubs. Like the science center been built right off the c-train line and encapsulated the station somehow so you could get from the train to inside the building without stepping outdoors. Something really nice. Not some generic crap warehouse in the middle of nowhere. The have stuff like "adult nights" there. Ok, gonna go there, get a little drunk, take the train home. Nope. Now I go there, have a good time, drink etc. then have to hike 30 minutes to the freakin ctrain station. Way to ruin something that should have been urban and metropolitan.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
30 minutes? Are you walking on your hands and taking breaks along the way? The station is right there.....
It appears to be a little under 1km. Factor in walking both ways, waiting for trains, perhaps a walk at your destination or a transfer and it quickly becomes an inconvenience.

A bit off topic, but the other day I was riding north on the pathway and was flagged down by a European fellow who was walking north between 8th and 16th ave looking for the next train station to go downtown. I told him he would have to turn around and go to the zoo, as there are no trains further north. He looked flabbergasted, like how can there be no train stations north! I guess coming from Europe he thought he could walk 500m in any direction and find one!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:20 PM
Here and There

I see having the train fairly close as a convenience. Its not like the science centre is out in panorama hills or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It appears to be a little under 1km. Factor in walking both ways, waiting for trains, perhaps a walk at your destination or a transfer and it quickly becomes an inconvenience.

A bit off topic, but the other day I was riding north on the pathway and was flagged down by a European fellow who was walking north between 8th and 16th ave looking for the next train station to go downtown. I told him he would have to turn around and go to the zoo, as there are no trains further north. He looked flabbergasted, like how can there be no train stations north! I guess coming from Europe he thought he could walk 500m in any direction and find one!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:28 PM

Put me down as someone who think Science Centre was a lazy effort. It checks the boxes, but not well. Mediocre design, questionable placement, lost in a sea of parking, and just an overall feeling of a project done on the cheap. These types of civic opportunities don't come around very often, and we missed the chance to do something special.

I have a feeling if it came online 5 years later, we'd have something much nicer. The Science Centre looks like it was build to the expectations of "old" Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 6:41 PM

It it takes you any longer than 10 minutes to get to the science centre from the train then there is something wrong with you.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:14 PM

our science center sucks anyway. It's filled with boring junk that's oil and gas related. People want wonder and excitement. Space travel and exploration to far off places. They want to experience something futuristic. This is a science center. Not the junk heap we have now. Calgary dropped the ball big time on something that could have been a defining place for our city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:27 PM

Yeah thats the other thing.. the whole place feels like a junior recruitment drive for the O&G workers of tomorrow! Definitely not a lot of inspiration within those walls..unless you like pulling levers of boxes with some sand in it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Yeah thats the other thing.. the whole place feels like a junior recruitment drive for the O&G workers of tomorrow! Definitely not a lot of inspiration within those walls..unless you like pulling levers of boxes with some sand in it.
Exhibits can be changed, its the configuration of the building that matters, and once inside, it seems fairly good. The theatre design seems to be messed up, as the chairs dont lean back far enough to enjoy the dome. You end up hitting the concrete behind you and craining your neck, not well done.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:50 PM
Here and There

Yes, and it was also designed during the height of the recession. Lets not forget that please. It will improve over the years I hope. Is it as good as the old one? I haven't been there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Put me down as someone who think Science Centre was a lazy effort. It checks the boxes, but not well. Mediocre design, questionable placement, lost in a sea of parking, and just an overall feeling of a project done on the cheap. These types of civic opportunities don't come around very often, and we missed the chance to do something special.

I have a feeling if it came online 5 years later, we'd have something much nicer. The Science Centre looks like it was build to the expectations of "old" Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
He is drunk.....

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, and it was also designed during the height of the recession. Lets not forget that please. It will improve over the years I hope. Is it as good as the old one? I haven't been there yet.
old one was way better because it had charm. The theatre was nice as well. Was it outdated? Yes. Could it have been renovated and turned into something amazing? Yes. Better location? Yes. Could have been right off the new Sunalta station. I mean I'd rather them have a central epic science center and move the stupid new arena somewhere in the boondocks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
He is drunk.....
haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates