HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Smith being brought back for a 1yr at 2mil.
I guess we're going to have to hope that Koskinen continues to get better. To be fair to him, he did do a lot of work on improving his hand position and mostly eliminated his glaring glove hand weaknesses because of it.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:58 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
I guess we're going to have to hope that Koskinen continues to get better. To be fair to him, he did do a lot of work on improving his hand position and mostly eliminated his glaring glove hand weaknesses because of it.

Agree....i saw a marked improvement in his play and that weak glove hand didn't show its ugly head nearly as much last year. Imo, goaltending wasn't the weakest part of the Oils game. It was the overall defensive game from all positions.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:58 PM
Community Guy

Reminds me of our time with Dubnyk.

Koskinen did get better. His angles and glove were vastly improved over the previous year, but still gets very little support from his D.

Fix the D and allow him to show his real game.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:59 PM
Community Guy

RIP Joey.

What a guy, what a life, what an inspiration.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:04 AM

I like the idea of a Joey Moss statue outside of Rogers Place. A statue of him belting out the national anthem!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:13 PM
DRINK

TSN1260 ended up going late last night rather than switching to ESPN shows at 6 shows so Gregor and Strudwick could share stories. It's going to be non stop stories from a who's who of former Eskimos and Oilers for days.

It's all very deserving and incredibly touching. I have no doubt this city will do something very special to honor his legacy.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:23 PM
Community Guy

There is a petition to rename the Downtown Community Rink to the Joey Moss Arena, I like that a lot.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
There is a petition to rename the Downtown Community Rink to the Joey Moss Arena, I like that a lot.
Do it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I like that even more than the statue.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Do that, get a statue made for him and put him on the Wall of Honor for the EE Football Team and put a banner up for him at Rogers.

He deserves that much.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:06 PM

Edmonton Oilers sign Draisaitl teammate Dominik Kahun

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:51 PM
DRINK

I hope that in addition to whatever the oilers/esks/city does, the oilers do something along the lines of what the Flyers did with Kate Smith. Play an old recording of him singing the anthem prior to "big" games, and then find a way to incorporate Joey into regular anthem footage.

While i'm not a big fan of anthems before games, i do appreciate the routine of it when it is accompanied by a consistent individual that have the ability to transcend the anthem itself and becomes part of the build up prior to the game starting. We had that with Paul Lorieau, but it has been missing since. This is a great opportunity to address this short coming with the current pre game program.

The Esks could also do something similar for the same reasons. I find the revolving door of different singers prior to every game a little amateurish. I appreciate that the esks use this as an outlet for various individuals...but i want the familiarity of somebody that i instantly associated their voice to home games.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I hope that in addition to whatever the oilers/esks/city does, the oilers do something along the lines of what the Flyers did with Kate Smith. Play an old recording of him singing the anthem prior to "big" games, and then find a way to incorporate Joey into regular anthem footage.

While i'm not a big fan of anthems before games, i do appreciate the routine of it when it is accompanied by a consistent individual that have the ability to transcend the anthem itself and becomes part of the build up prior to the game starting. We had that with Paul Lorieau, but it has been missing since. This is a great opportunity to address this short coming with the current pre game program.

The Esks could also do something similar for the same reasons. I find the revolving door of different singers prior to every game a little amateurish. I appreciate that the esks use this as an outlet for various individuals...but i want the familiarity of somebody that i instantly associated their voice to home games.
Yup!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

An excellent read. Someone should put his bagel combo on their menu and raise funds towards one of Joey's organizations.

https://oilersnation.com/2020/11/02/...be9NmPtgBiMbIo

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:16 PM
Community Guy

Get ready to Rock the Hawk!

Picked me up a trucker hat today.

https://shop.gohawks.ca

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:35 PM

Speaking of team names I am hearing the Edmonton football team is not going to announce their new name till April.

Why didn’t they launch around now and use the holiday season to market and sell their merchandise? Surely they have had a lot of time since announcing the name change to prepare?

Bad marketing move - need to generate some interest while the Oilers are idle.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:00 AM
Community Guy

They are doing a public request and why is there any rush?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:32 AM

^ maybe start generating interest , eliminate the embarrassment of not having a team name and get to marketing the product and selling season tickets.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Speaking of team names I am hearing the Edmonton football team is not going to announce their new name till April.

Why didn’t they launch around now and use the holiday season to market and sell their merchandise? Surely they have had a lot of time since announcing the name change to prepare?

Bad marketing move - need to generate some interest while the Oilers are idle.
I have a hunch, the new name is going to be very bold, truly unique, very "Edmonton", and may even be disruptive in terms of how Cities name their professional sports teams.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 1:32 AM
Community Guy

The Edmonton Awesome!

Sponsored by WEM and brought to you by EA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton