HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's Urban Renaissance

So I've been thinking lately about all of the changes Calgary is currently going through, thinking it to be somewhat of a major renaissance period for the city. This city is undergoing major urban revitalization initiatives from new LRT/Subway lines, new public spaces, new public institutions, and even district developments that will greatly enhance the public realm. I thought it would be a cool idea for a thread to be able to discuss the breadth of this urban revival and massive intensification going on throughout our great city. I can't really pinpoint where this era started for Calgary but I'll just pick an arbitrary date of 2005 and believe it will remain ongoing until at least 2025 by the looks of the proposals coming in.

Here's a bit of a list of what I've noticed going on to transform the city...

- West Blue Line C-Train
- Green Line C-Train proposal
- 4-car C-train Station Expansion Project
- Numerous C-Train Line Extensions
- Ongoing RiverWalk Project
- Numerous BRT Projects
- Kensington Pedestrian Improvements
- 17th Avenue Pedestrian Improvements
- Award-winning 7th Avenue Pedestrian Improvements and C-train Station Redevelopments
- 8th Street Pedestrian Improvements proposal
- Central Memorial Park Revitalization
- St. Patrick's Island Park Redevelopment
- West Eau Claire Park Redevelopment
- Peace Bridge
- Stampede Park Revitalization/Youth Campus
- New Central Library
- National Music Centre of Canada
- Art Gallery of Calgary proposal
- East Village Development Projects
- Currie Barracks Development Projects
- Eau Claire Development Projects
- Olympic Plaza/Municipal Plaza Redevelopment proposal
- Arts Commons Expansion/Revitalization proposal
- Main Streets urbanization initiative
- Chinatown Revitalization Initiative
- International Facilities Project (YYC)
- New Calgary Arena and Stadium Proposals

Feel free to discuss any of these projects and any others I may have forgotten

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 9:54 PM

Don't forget the downtown bike lane network! Its construction and success has been a major victory for our urban realm.

Also, the 13th Ave Greenway project (I thought they had plans to expand this all the way to 14th St, but it seems to be on hold after they connected the Greenway to Macleod last year) has made a nice walking path through the east end of the Beltline which I've enjoyed a number of times.

In addition, the city's initiative to improve walkability in the city (with open houses last year) is another huge development. I was impressed with the city's attention to detail in the open houses. Walkability has a lot to do with small changes; individually low-cost solutions such as pedestrian sidewalk bulb-outs and automatic (not button-activated) walk signals at controlled intersections - they seemed very interested in taking all of these suggestions from the open houses into the planning room.

Tons of amazing change in this city over the past 10 years, and am happy to see this evolution continue with plans well in the 2020s

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates