HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 2:47 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wonder if that is an accurate preview of Northshore's lighting.
I hope. That would be beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:42 PM

Units in this one will range from $400,000 to $5,000,000. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like that will make the penthouse of this one the most expensive residential highrise unit downtown. It is certainly more than the Independent. Considering the rent of the Monarch and Ashton penthouses (about $10,000 and $12,000 a month respectively, you could live in those buildings for about 37 years for that price. Of course, you also wouldn't have the equity of the condo. Still that seems expensive. I remember a couple years ago, the penthouse in the Trump Tower in downtown Chicago went for a little over $6,000,000. Do you think Austin will be able to consistently support the upper levels of this property that have units in the $2,500,000-$5,000,000 range?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Austin has one of the most upwardly skewed income distributions among large metros in the country, so yes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:24 PM

Here's a pretty cool video that features nice Downtown aerials. It's by Community Impact and focuses on 5th & West. Make sure to choose the best resolution!

Video Link

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 12:27 AM
Honored Member

What an exceptional video. Fifth and West is truly an exceptional development.

Great aerial footage, as promised. Austin looks kinda like a real city from this perspective. Nice.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:38 PM
Meh

Crane permit for the FAA. It lists the crane as 524 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...9828503&row=17

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Crane permit for the FAA. It lists the crane as 524 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...9828503&row=17
It's actually this one that it lists as a 41-story tower, which makes more sense. Last residential unit is on 39, so the mechanical penthouse must be designated as two-stories, at least in the permit filing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:06 AM
World Traveler

0:35 gives a good comparison of this one next to its neighbors. Even though it's not significantly taller than the "plateau" of 400' it appears to be more so since the nearby buildings aren't quite there.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:27 AM

I'm glad the alley will remain:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
I'm glad the alley will remain
Yeah, that is good. From the manhole covers and power poles in your photo, I'm guessing it's a utility easement anyway and they probably couldn't build on it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:04 PM

New promo video:

https://vimeo.com/143383946

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
"Fifth and West: At the Corner of Fifth and Everything" reminds me of stupid catchphrases like "Walgreens: At the Corner of Happy and Healthy"

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:26 AM
Honored Member

Wow, the simulation of the changing reflections on the future building! Very cool effect. Maybe I didn't watch it on high enough resolution, but it looked totally realistic to me, to the point where I wouldn't have known it wasn't real.

All the hype about Austin these days, as exemplified in the music and drama about Fifth and West in the video, got me thinking about how parents of celebrities might feel. They knew the kids through all their foibles and awkward times, when they pooped their diapers, when they cried for mommy, etc. I've only been in Austin for 25 years but I feel like I've known it since it was going through puberty. So I kind of chuckle at all the fuss over this gangly teenage city. It's still hard for me to believe that Formula One chose Austin, or that SXSW metastasized from the funky mostly-local event where I was once a presenter and performer, to the world-renowned firmament of innovation and discovery that it has become today.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Wow, the simulation of the changing reflections on the future building! Very cool effect. Maybe I didn't watch it on high enough resolution, but it looked totally realistic to me, to the point where I wouldn't have known it wasn't real.

All the hype about Austin these days, as exemplified in the music and drama about Fifth and West in the video, got me thinking about how parents of celebrities might feel. They knew the kids through all their foibles and awkward times, when they pooped their diapers, when they cried for mommy, etc. I've only been in Austin for 25 years but I feel like I've known it since it was going through puberty. So I kind of chuckle at all the fuss over this gangly teenage city. It's still hard for me to believe that Formula One chose Austin, or that SXSW metastasized from the funky mostly-local event where I was once a presenter and performer, to the world-renowned firmament of innovation and discovery that it has become today.
Superb analogy. Now Austin is some hot-shot 19-year old that just sold his app to Google for a clean $100 million and is now giving himself a make over, buying new suits, a BMW, and getting an attitude. The suit looks out of place with the uncut hair, and the still oily skin, and the 6th street birthmark below his eye, but he's starting to look the part and so is Austin.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Superb analogy. Now Austin is some hot-shot 19-year old that just sold his app to Google for a clean $100 million and is now giving himself a make over, buying new suits, a BMW, and getting an attitude. The suit looks out of place with the uncut hair, and the still oily skin, and the 6th street birthmark below his eye, but he's starting to look the part and so is Austin.

Noooooooo! Face has to be perfect, the birthmark is on the left arm... lol

But you both bring up good points in that Austin is still very much in transition which is what I sometimes remind people when they complain about one thing or another. There's definitely some problems that need to be addressed but all in all, Austin isn't doing too bad. Could be better but could be a whole lot worse. Hopefully in another 20 years Austin will be fully mature, in the mean time it's exciting to experience the transformation first hand.

5th and West is in a perfect location for an area of DT that really is seeing the greatest transformation. It wasn't that long ago when there were no major highrises at all west of Guadalupe. It will also fill in a gap that I've been hoping would fade away for awhile now.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 8:05 PM

I agree, the east to west gaps are disappearing and this beautiful building is a major reason. Now where oh where is the Independent on the radar?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:52 PM

Model is up in the sales office now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:07 AM
World Traveler

I know it's been said - for all its disadvantages, the CVC also helps us add some interesting angles to buildings. I like that this one is basically a triangle.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:02 PM
クラブトクヨ

I love the design, going to look great.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:08 PM

From Sat morning:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin