HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 6:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Canadian markets are a blessing and a curse at the same time. If I was a player (especially a top prospect), last places I'd want to play would be in any Canadian market (Especially Toronto and Montreal). Too much media scrutiny, too many expectations. I'd rather end up somewhere like Colorado, Dallas, or Detroit where there isn't as much media attention, and I could develop more as a player without losing focus.
In a lot of respects, and for a lot of players, absolutely. There's some truth in what feepa says, but it's not because Winnipeg is a bad place to live (and watch a dozen peggers get very defensive about that in the next hour...). The media spotlight is INSANE in the smaller Canadian markets. It just means that the local people are that much more into hockey compared to everything else.

What we don't often hear about is players who intentionally say no to Montreal or Toronto. It happens A LOT. Seriously, the Leafs have a devil of a time attracting UFAs that aren't well past their prime for a reason. Montreal has a long history of players asking to be traded away. But it doesn't make as good of a news story, because there's so much else that drowns it out, and it's not as sensational and simplistic as saying "well, clearly no one wants to play in the middle of nowhere".

If it were solely about the city itself being good/bad, Detroit would never sign anyone. That place is a complete hell these days (and arguably has been for many years), but players seem to have no problem going there.

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
If Winnipeg gets a team, Edmonton will no longer be the last place a player would want to play. Ü
There is the old Feepa we've grown to loath.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 1:38 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
In a lot of respects, and for a lot of players, absolutely. There's some truth in what feepa says, but it's not because Winnipeg is a bad place to live (and watch a dozen peggers get very defensive about that in the next hour...). The media spotlight is INSANE in the smaller Canadian markets. It just means that the local people are that much more into hockey compared to everything else.
Ummm, I think you guys are completely wrong. I bet most hockey players love the attention they get in smaller and/or hockey mad markets. It's kind of like being a rock star.

I agree that playing in smaller markets has it's obvious draw backs, but being a big fish in a small pond certainly isn't one these guys complain about, in fact I would wager it's what they strive for.

A lot of players in the AHL that come to the Moose appreciate playing here simply for the fact they actually GET attention in the press.

These are professional athletes we are talking about. If they didn't have a "me me me" complex, they would never develop and play at the highest levels.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Ummm, I think you guys are completely wrong. I bet most hockey players love the attention they get in smaller and/or hockey mad markets. It's kind of like being a rock star.

I agree that playing in smaller markets has it's obvious draw backs, but being a big fish in a small pond certainly isn't one these guys complain about, in fact I would wager it's what they strive for.
Some do. Many others don't. Joe Sakic, Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur, Vincent Lecavalier, Rob Blake, Paul Kariya, Brad Stuart and Ron Francis are among the many Canadian players who have shown a desire to play in lower key American markets despite considerable offers and other pressure to sign with Canadian teams. A lot of hockey players, especially Canadian ones, aren't anything like rock stars, or even athletes from other sports like football or basketball. They shy away from the spotlight and routinely deflect attention from themselves and give the "aww shucks..." routine during interviews and when they are given praise.

The other thing is that a lot of these guys marry American girls and have families, and that weighs on their decision when deciding where to sign. In the past, a lot have shown a desire to stay in the States, or even particular regions due to where they have established their families and the wishes of their spouse.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 5:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Like I said before we are 50/50 now.
its 98/2....we'll likely find out tuesday...at the latest friday.

some quotes from the only councillor who voted to support the ice edge bid initially on the request by the NHL that the losses be covered:

“This is absolutely crazy,” council member Phil Lieberman said Sunday. “I will do everything I can to point that out on Tuesday.”

“We're broke,” Lieberman said. “We're $14.7-million in the hole, we're laying people off, we had to up water bills by 12 bucks a month. How can we raise so much money for a bunch of athletes?”

“We don't know what [the district] will contribute,” he said. “We don't even know what will make up the district.

“We have never discussed it yet. If CFDs are that good, why haven't we done this in the past? Everything is speculation and the whole thing is sheer stupidity.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1562692/

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:46 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

What frink already said. There are countless examples of players who have outright stated that they do not enjoy the pressure of playing in a Canadian market, especially the small markets where their life becomes subject to a magnifying glass. Dany Heatley is another guy who's consistently avoided the spotlight throughout his career (for obvious reasons).

Quote:
A lot of players in the AHL that come to the Moose appreciate playing here simply for the fact they actually GET attention in the press.
Entirely different situation. Guys in the "A" do everything they can to get their names out there, because for the most part they're still trying to make the big time. Once a player hits the NHL full time, who cares about press attention? You've already got your million dollar contract, and it's all about your numbers from there.

Quote:
These are professional athletes we are talking about. If they didn't have a "me me me" complex, they would never develop and play at the highest levels.
I think you may have your sports confused. Most pro hockey players I've met are pretty humble guys who don't actually want their being fellated by Hillary Duff to be all over the Internet the next day. They just want to play a game they love, make some damn good money doing it, and have the world leave them alone. This isn't basketball or football where a player's outlandish off-field antics are half of what makes them a star.

There's more than enough proof that a lot of hockey players like to stay out of the spotlight. It's why they keep signing down south over larger offers up here.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Entirely different situation. Guys in the "A" do everything they can to get their names out there, because for the most part they're still trying to make the big time. Once a player hits the NHL full time, who cares about press attention? You've already got your million dollar contract, and it's all about your numbers from there.

Entirely the opposite.
Positive media attention = butts in seats = higher asking price.

NHL players don't engage in celebrity charity events to "keep a low profile." It's part of the job.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 12:56 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Ice Edge feels Winnipeg's painDon't want to stand in way of NHL's return to city, but...By: Gary Lawless

10/05/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 0

Daryl Jones and his Ice Edge partners feel a little queasy about getting in the way of a potential new Canadian-based National Hockey League franchise.

But business is business.

Jones told the WinnipegFree Press on Sunday that Ice Edge realizes the group could be standing in the way of the NHL's return to Winnipeg, and regrets that his firm looks like the bad guy to Manitobans.

"For me and my partners, you have to understand we would love to see more NHL franchises in Canada and that includes Winnipeg," said Jones, listed as chief operating officer of Ice Edge and a native of Bassano, Alta. "It's ironic that we're perceived as an impediment to more NHL teams in Canada because we believe that would be best for the league. We're mostly small-town Canada guys and we don't like the characterization that we're in the way at all.

"We think Winnipeg is a viable market, with a new building that some might think is a little small, but with excellent ownership in place. We'd be behind having a team in Winnipeg. With the salary cap and the strength of the Canadian dollar, Winnipeg is a very viable market."

He also added that the group's acquisition of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise is far from a done deal.

Jones rated Ice Edge's chance of closing the deal at 50-50.

"If the city of Glendale decides to cover any losses for next season and if they can secure the financing to do that, I think the deal will go through. As far as our end of the deal, we're pretty close to finalizing things. The city of Glendale has to satisfy the NHL's conditions and that's basically an agreement to pick up any losses should a sale fall through down the line. If the NHL sells the team to us and the sale goes through, we're on the hook," said Jones.

"We have the basic outline of a lease agreement. It's a brand-new lease and it would enable us, we believe, to make hockey in Phoenix profitable. Hockey can work in non-traditional markets. Look at San Jose."

Jones was asked if he believed the new lease would get past the Goldwater Institute, a taxpayers' watchdog lobby in Arizona that has already made noise about taxpayer money being used to fund the Coyotes.

"We've developed a good relationship with the Goldwater Institute and the bottom line is any lease has to satisfy them," said Jones. "That's our goal, to make sure the lease works for Glendale, Ice Edge and the Goldwater Institute. Because it has to."

Much has been made about Ice Edge and their financial backing. Jones says the money is there if a deal can be made.

"We have a group of partners, including John Breslaw, who is a former partner in the Coyotes' ownership group and a number of banks that are very interested in financing this deal," said Jones. "The NHL has done background checks on the partners. We're not approved, but we're well down that road."

Ice Edge originally came on the scene with a plan to play a minimum of five Coyotes home games in Saskatoon. Jones is unsure how that part of the deal will play out.

"It's still on the table but we would have to do what was best for the fans in Phoenix. You can't be seen as taking anything away from them," said Jones. "And we wouldn't want the people of Saskatoon to look at these games as a money grab. I still think it's a pretty neat idea. But it would also be five more road games for our players and that's something to think about as well."

The Coyotes have reportedly lost in excess of $100 million in the last five years but Jones believes Ice Edge can turn the franchise around.

"We think it's been mismanaged and with the right lease in place and the option to secure other revenue streams, hockey in Phoenix is viable, in our opinion," said Jones.

Ice Edge, should they acquire the Coyotes, plans to operate them in Arizona and not relocate the club.

"That's why the (Jerry) Reinsdorf bid fell apart. They wanted to be able to relocate. That's not our angle. We don't want to move the team."

Glendale city council is to vote Tuesday night on a motion to give its city manager the power to assure the NHL it will meet the league's conditions. It is believed the NHL is demanding an assurance that any Coyotes' losses will be covered if the league operates the team for one more season.

"That's the next step. If that fails or if our negotiations fall through, I think the team will move and there's a handful of cities that will be in the running. In my opinion, Winnipeg is at the top of that list," said Jones. "If the city satisfies the NHL's conditions on Tuesday, the team will stay in Glendale for at least another year."

Jones believes Winnipeg's ability to readily accomodate an NHL franchise puts the city of Glendale, which built Jobing.com Arena for the Coyotes, in a tenuous position.

"If they don't agree to the NHL's stipulations, they have to be prepared to see the team leave and Winnipeg makes that an easy option for the NHL," said Jones.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca

Who is Ice Edge?

-- Anthony LeBlanc is the chief executive officer of Ice Edge Holdings, LLC. He has spent his career in senior marketing positions with some of Canada's highest-profile companies, including eight years at Research In Motion. LeBlanc is a native of Thunder Bay and is on the Lakehead University Board of Governors.

-- Keith McCullough is the chairman of Ice Edge Holdings, LLC and the CEO of Research Edge LLC. Prior to founding Research Edge, he managed money at The Carlyle Group's hedge fund, Magnetar Capital, Falconhenge Partners and Dawson-Herman Capital Management. He earned his BA in economics from Yale, where he captained the hockey team to the Ivy League title.

-- Daryl Jones is the chief operating officer of Ice Edge Holdings, LLC and has served as the group's spokesman. He is a native of Bassano, Alta., and played hockey at Yale. He is a managing director at Research Edge, LLC. He has been a research analyst with Onex Corp., Dawson-Herman Capital Management and J.P. Morgan. He has a BA in political science from Yale and an MBA from Columbia University.

-- Todd Jordan is the chief financial officer of Ice Edge Holdings, LLC and managing director of gaming, lodging and leisure at Research Edge. He has been a portfolio manager, managing director, and analyst at Jefferies Asset Management, Cobalt Capital and Ardsley Partners. Previously, he worked as a sell-side analyst at Raymond James, Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein and Buckingham Research. Jordan earned his MBA from the University of Chicago.

-- Source: www.iceedgeholdings.com

Find this article at:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-93258189.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 1:33 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by duper View Post
NHL players don't engage in celebrity charity events to "keep a low profile." It's part of the job.
I can't speak for other cities, but in Calgary the players who do this don't do it for media attention at all. Trust me, there's plenty of media focus on the players as it is. The guys who do it seem to genuinely want to "give back" to the community.

It's especially notable because it's generally the same guys who do most of the charity appearances. The Flames even have an award they give out every year for this, and it's often won by the same small group of guys.

Again though, you don't have to listen to some random nobody posting on the Internet. Listen to the players themselves - time and again they'll state quite clearly their desire to play in quieter markets, just to get out of the media spotlight. It's been a huge factor in a lot of big trades (or requesting certain cities, or refusing certain cities) over the years.

Some guys love the spotlight, and some shy away from it.

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for other cities, but in Calgary the players who do this don't do it for media attention at all. Trust me, there's plenty of media focus on the players as it is. The guys who do it seem to genuinely want to "give back" to the community.

It's especially notable because it's generally the same guys who do most of the charity appearances. The Flames even have an award they give out every year for this, and it's often won by the same small group of guys.

Again though, you don't have to listen to some random nobody posting on the Internet. Listen to the players themselves - time and again they'll state quite clearly their desire to play in quieter markets, just to get out of the media spotlight. It's been a huge factor in a lot of big trades (or requesting certain cities, or refusing certain cities) over the years.

Some guys love the spotlight, and some shy away from it.

Pavel Bure used to *HATE* the media attention in Vancouver -- hence his eventual move to Florida and later New York where nobody would recognize him. I recall seeing him driving a very expensive looking sports car, accompanied by Alex Mogilny, Gino Odjick, and one other Canuck, in a drive-thru at the A&W on Pinetree and Lougheed Hwy in Coquitlam. The driver looked strangely familiar, and was doing everything he could to shield his face from me and my friend... the others just stared like "nothing to see here kids, get lost."

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 12:22 AM

The Vancouver / Montreal / Toronto media happen to be the most hysteric. Calgary / Edmonton (I don't know about Ottawa...) almost seem a bit... indifferent in comparison.

I could see Winnipeg being similar, certainly not as bad as Vancouver / Montreal / Toronto.

I also dare say the average person may be a bit more respectful of the athletes privacy than in Vancouver / Montreal / Toronto

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:05 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I can hardly WAIT for TOMORROW!!

When Winnipeg gets its team back, and Vike becomes the official "knower of all things, never to be doubted again."

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:08 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:17 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I can hardly WAIT for TOMORROW!!

When Winnipeg gets its team back, and Vike becomes the official "knower of all things, never to be doubted again."

tomorrow they will accept the proposal....thats a foregone conclusion......we wont know if it satifies the NHL's demand for covering the losses until some later point.

it doesnt sound like it will, but you never know.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 1:54 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Holy shit. Ice Edge just backed away from dealing with Glendale. Very few details but it sounds like the "exclusivity" clause was rejected by the city.

Minute-by-minute discussion here.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:00 AM

Waiting for the fallout. Now that plans A and B have fallen through...do we officially move on to plan C? I can be in line for season tickets in the morning, Gary.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Waiting for the fallout. Now that plans A and B have fallen through...do we officially move on to plan C? I can be in line for season tickets in the morning, Gary.
I'd be happy with Plan "W", thank you very much

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:19 AM

I love that bridge logo where did you find it? I won't sleep tonight. I can just picture the lights dim at mts centre in the fall of 2010 Bobby Hull passes to Hawerchuk who passes to Selanne who passes to Doan, then out of the darkness her majesty's portrait is risen to the rafters once again and Van Halen plays jump live introducing your WINNIPEG JETS!

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:45 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Holy shit. Ice Edge just backed away from dealing with Glendale. Very few details but it sounds like the "exclusivity" clause was rejected by the city.

Minute-by-minute discussion here.
Sorry, but I'm holding my breath until the puck drops in the pre-season.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Sorry, but I'm holding my breath until the puck drops in the pre-season.
That be some mighty impressive lung capacity you have there.

Indeed, I'm still a bit skeptical till i hear it from Bettman that they're working to bring the team here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan