HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 6:05 AM

Continuing the bar theme...Metro / Lauderdales was mentioned...before that it was called the Original California Club (87 to 91ish)...and way back it was called Ruffles Club.

Also, I remember Delberts and the North Keg being the standard Friday night destination in the late 80's/early 90's...if you were real cool you could go through the kitchen to get from one to the other.

I remember south albert featuring Checkers/Scotland Yard (that was the original small version of Checkers)...across the street was The Unwinder Club in the Vagabond Hotel (now Travelodge)...and just north of that was Wheels in The Sandman Inn.

And if you jog over to the university area we had Winstons...then it was PJ Mellons...Then Dizzy Monk...and after a little detour it became the Creekside pub.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:32 PM

Going way back... there was a bar on Broad - Regina's first (maybe only?) gay bar with the entrance off the back alley appropriately called "The Rear Entry". I think it later moved the entrance to the street and became the Candy Cane Disco (see I'm going way back). I think it might have been all ages before the term was common, but I never went there - I despised Disco! Schnitzel Haus ruled!

Even further back in the 70's, the Regina Folk Music Guild Coffee House was located in the basement of Sammy's Pizza in the River Heights Shopping Center. I believe that is where Colin (James) Munn first performed when he was about 8 years old. There's also the Teacher's club in the basement of the same shopping center that became popular with non-teachers in the 90's.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
Good call...Shnitzel house when it first opened...then it was the Venue...then Channel One...then The State...now The Distrikt.
That's gotta be a record for one spot in Regina.
I think for a time it was an all ages club called Club Soda. Could be wrong, but I think it was around a short time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 6:48 PM

Oh! How could I forget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Going way back... there was a bar on Broad - Regina's first (maybe only?) gay bar with the entrance off the back alley appropriately called "The Rear Entry". I think it later moved the entrance to the street and became the Candy Cane Disco (see I'm going way back). I think it might have been all ages before the term was common, but I never went there - I despised Disco! Schnitzel Haus ruled!

Even further back in the 70's, the Regina Folk Music Guild Coffee House was located in the basement of Sammy's Pizza in the River Heights Shopping Center. I believe that is where Colin (James) Munn first performed when he was about 8 years old. There's also the Teacher's club in the basement of the same shopping center that became popular with non-teachers in the 90's.
There was another private club on Broad Street (around 14th?), above some store or restaurant (I don't remember which). The Saskatchewan Cultural Exchange Society "The Exchange" hosted local singer songwriters like Bob Evans. I think I remember it burning down in the early eighties, and there is a drug store or something there now. I think the Exchange moved to the warehouse district around Lorne and 6th? and is now where the Regina Jazz Society holds events.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 7:48 PM
Chilean like a villian

I also remember going to the Carribean Club on Albert Street approx across the street from Office Depot, I think they tore down the building.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 10:10 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
There was another private club on Broad Street (around 14th?), above some store or restaurant (I don't remember which).
The restaurant on Broad Street you speak of was a Hawai`ian restaurant; one building north of 13th Avenue on the west side of Broad Street. It was named something very original like "The Waikiki Hawai`ian Restaurant".

Last edited by babo; Aug 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Synaptic breakdown

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:23 PM

maybe mentioned but .............Stampede Wrestling at the the dark and dingy Exhibition Stadium!. It was the 1970's but the atmosphere took you back to the 1930's. I wont forget it.

My Grandma at the time took it so seriously..

My cousin was a waitress and would serve those guys and she said those guys were like big Teddy Bears..they ate Bacon and eggs 24/7

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 12:47 AM

There was also another club operating back in the early 90's or late 80's on the 2nd floor where the Gaslight Saloon is now.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:14 AM
Chilean like a villian

Whatever happened to the club further down on Dewdney about 2 blocks east of Habanos? I think it was once a Fanny's Fabrics. Its had at least 2 -3 different names and one was 2120 or something like that?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:27 AM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I also remember that where Gabbo's currently is used to be another bar (I don't remember the name so if anyone knows please do tell) AND it used to also be CASH CONVERTERS! I bought a VCR there once.
Correction, it wasn't the location where Gabbo's currently is that was a Cash Converters but the building right beside it to the West. I know that there was a short lived bar in that area once that was really tiny, I think it might have been the current Gabbos spot or if not it was the old Cash Converters spot, this would've been in the mid 90's, anyone remember?

Last edited by spictacular mcluvin; Aug 3, 2009 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 12:03 PM

Private Clubs

Quote:
There was another private club on Broad Street (around 14th?), above some store or restaurant (I don't remember which). The Saskatchewan Cultural Exchange Society "The Exchange" hosted local singer songwriters like Bob Evans. I think I remember it burning down in the early eighties, and there is a drug store or something there now. I think the Exchange moved to the warehouse district around Lorne and 6th? and is now where the Regina Jazz Society holds events.
Forgive me for continually quoting my own posts. This thread is jarring loose a lot of old memories from my middle-aged brain (one that saw its share of 70's brain damage).

Now that I think about it, private clubs were once quite common in Regina. I think the reason is that at one time in Saskatchewan you could not buy alcohol of any kind on Sundays. (I think restaurants, at least, serve beer and wine on Sundays now, right?) If you were stocked up at home you could drink, of course, and private clubs that restricted entrance to members and a limited number of guests were treated like an extension of the home, rather than a business.

The Assiniboine Club restricted membership to Regina's (anglo) business elite, but working class ethnic groups also had clubs, some with looser entrance policies than others. One that comes to mind is the Serbian Club near 11th and Winnipeg. My grandfather frequented it (probably as a 'guest') my friends father managed the bar for many years, one of my uncles bar tended bar from time to time, and none of us are Serbian. I think some of the early punk / hardcore shows were put on at the Serbian Club as well, perhaps after Schnitzel Haus closed?

I could be wrong, but the more I think about it, I think Schnitzel Haus was actually a private (German) club in its punk rock heyday. The obvious reason is the name, but there are a couple other reasons why I think this might be the case.

Schnitzel Haus was notorious for swan dives off the balcony onto the dance floor (I don't think mosh pit was in common usage yet). I seem to remember someone breaking their neck or some other serious injury, and the place closed very suddenly. I'm wondering if in the ensuing investigation it was revealed they were operating without proper permits (punk rock style!).

Another reason I think this might be the case is that there was a time that it operated as a restaurant only (Hamilton Cafe?) in the front of the building while the double-height back room was closed off for 'storage' (and the occasional 'private' party). The explanation for this was 'permitting problems'. I know this because one of my sister's first jobs was at the restaurant, and she always lamented that she was too young too attend her bosses' private parties. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure my sister was even old enough to be working in a restaurant.

Can anybody else think of any notorious underground private clubs?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:26 PM

Quote:

The Teachers Club started off as a coffee house in the 60's...it was called the Fourth Dimension, or 4D. Definitely before my time, but in Randy Bachman's biography, he describes going there one night in 1966 and meeting his future wife there. The Guess Who was headquartered in Regina and did a bunch of shows in southern Saskatchewan and Alberta that fall. His bio is a great read.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to the club further down on Dewdney about 2 blocks east of Habanos? I think it was once a Fanny's Fabrics. Its had at least 2 -3 different names and one was 2120 or something like that?
It was called 2044 for a year or so (address is 2044 Dewdney) and is now operating as The Drink.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebubu View Post
There was also another club operating back in the early 90's or late 80's on the 2nd floor where the Gaslight Saloon is now.
it was called gin tonix at one time.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumuser View Post
it was called gin tonix at one time.
Yes, I think was even before that. For some reason I thought I was called "The Club" or "The Beat" It had all these side rooms where people would hang out and do whatever??

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
In addition to the Capital Theatre, there was the Broadway Theatre on the NE corner of Broad Street and 11th Ave, the Met Theatre on the SW corner of Broad and 11th.
and the Roxy Theatre which I believe was on 11th and Osler behind where the Liquor Store is now.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
Chilean like a villian

Do you mean this ROXY?. I found this old picture on a website for some Stephen Shore guy

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Do you mean this ROXY?. I found this old picture on a website for some Stephen Shore guy

That is quite a find! This would actually be 12th Avenue, not 11th...between Broad and Osler. I've been zeroed in on bar discussion, but now I have to think about theatres...the list that I would recall within the last 35 years:
Roxy (wasn't it actually called the Odeon Roxy) - closed about '77.
Broadway and the Metropolitan - closed about '81.
Odeon Center in Regina Inn - guessing here...closed '85ish???
Capitol - closed about '92. It converted from a single to a twin at some point in the 70's I think.
That leaves the modern downtown theatres:
Coronet (6) - closed about '03.
Cornwall (4)- closed about '04.
Did I mention that I'm really digging this thread?!?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumuser View Post
i remember pj melons.
Oh my god, that brings back memories! I totally forgot about that place. Where the U of R McDonalds now stands. We went for sunday brunch there quite often. They lifted that place onto the back of a semi and drove it out to the east end...

Anyone remember Carlos & Bud's, the mexican restaurant at the corner of Albert & the road to Taylor Field? Across from the Superstore. They had fantastic mexican food and deep fried ice cream.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
Broadway and the Metropolitan - closed about '81.
I think they went under because of the Famous Players theatre that opened along with the Cornwall Centre in '81...

Not to be outdone by Famous Players, Cineplex Odeon opened up the Coronet in '85 (I think?) as a 4 screen theatre. When business started booming, they took over the building next to them and added two more screens and a second concession stand in there making it a 6 screen theatre around '90.

When they opened the 10-screen multiplex in the Southland in '97 they tried to run both theatres but no one went to the Coronet anymore. They converted it into a cheap $2 theatre, but then Rainbow Cinemas from Saskatoon opened a theatre in the Golden Mile and the Coronet couldn't compete with that either, so it closed in '03 like the previous poster mentioned. It was demolished in '05 after no offers came in to buy the property, and it still sits vacant to this day.

When the new Galaxy theatre opened in the north west, Famous Players fell to the pressure and closed their doors for good in '04. The thing that sticks out in my mind the most about the Cornwall Famous Players was when Titantic opened. They put it on two of the four screens there and the lineup for it went up the stairs, down the hall and had people standing just outside the parkade waiting to get a ticket. What a ridiculous movie...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan