HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 9:34 PM

"Lloyd Short, P. Eng. was the principal structural design engineer on this project."
http://www.sdi.ca/pastprojects.php?i...gs/fortwilliam

So, I guess he was employed by SDI Engineering who have been apart of many projects around NL.
http://www.sdi.ca/pastprojects.php?i...ects-buildings

The angles are cool for sure. Just a bit unfriendly looking ha! I'm excited to see what they're going to do with it. If anything.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 11:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is the new land use assessment report for the Temperance Street hotel development. IMO, they have improved the appearance of this building signficantly:

http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/LUAR%20-%...um%20Hotel.pdf

http://www.stjohns.ca/csj/PubDetails?id=302

View Plane Analysis:
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/View%20Plane%20Analysis.pdf

Last edited by Architype; Mar 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 12:42 AM

^ I guess the picture on the bottom of the LUAR is suppose to give an idea what the condo will look like?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:15 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
^ I guess the picture on the bottom of the LUAR is suppose to give an idea what the condo will look like?
It says they got the inspiration from the Distillery district in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillery_District

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 10:55 AM

After looking at the Distillery District I think the development is going to look really good. I didn't even realize fom their pictures that the exterior was going to be brick, I thought it might have been stucco or something.

I find it a bit odd that they're adding 17 new units but only 8 new indoor parking spots. I think thats a bit of a problem especially in the winter when there are on street parking bans in place. Most people owning these condos would probably work downtown and walk back and forth to work but I'm sure most will still have cars. Seeing these condos are only small they should probably look at doing higher end larger condos on the top floors, which would reduce the number of condos so they don't need as many parkng spots. I doubt that will happen though seeing there would be less money involved. Council probably won't have a problem with this anyways, they did make the Prescott Street hotel reduce their height by a floor which made them get rid of a bunch of parking spots.

Last edited by PoscStudent; Mar 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 1:46 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^Notes on materials from the original LUAR:

Quote:
B Elevations and Materials
The elevations of the building show the following materials:
•Stone masonry, calcium silica masonry units, rough and smooth texture, for the
base and accents.
•Brick veneer for the wall areas.
•Painted aluminum for windows and door frames, and railings.
The colours will be:
•Stone masonry – buff tones.
•Brick veneer – red range
•Aluminum – Dark brown
Roof top structures will be kept to a minimum in keeping with the approach of treating the roof as a “facade”.
http://www.stjohns.ca/cityservices/p...20Mar%2009.pdf

As for the parking, all hotel guests would not have cars. My understanding is that these types of developments are sold as a combination of vacation homes and as investments to be rented out when the owner isn't using them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:25 PM

Here is the advertisement for one the properties but I don't understand exactly how it works.

INVESTORS: 5-Year Lease Back Investment Program in Prime Downtown Location - Harbourside Executive Condominiums & Spa will offer superior 1-bedroom condos with walls of glass & breathtaking views, ultra modern design featuring sleek custom cabinetry, floors finished in exotic woods & polished porcelain, the latest in controls & hardware finished in stainless steel & spa-like ensuites. Enjoy world-class amenities including an ultra chic lobby, 1st class fitness facility, courtyard with mineral pool, 5-star spa, bistro /wine bar, concierge service & 24-hr security/surveillance. Enjoy the benefits of investment property ownership without the hassels. Purchase during pre-construction & receive a full furniture/fittings package at no cost to you! As an Exit Strategy, you have the right to assign or sell your property at any time. With this unique Lease Back, it is the optimum investment. Reserve your Priority Purchase Reservation Agreement today!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 7:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ It's written somewhat unclearly, but more or less like what I said I think

St. John's Board of Trade explains "Why Development Matters" in position papers

Quote:
The St. John’s Board of Trade is answering the question “Why Development Matters” with a three-part document looking at urban sprawl, density and public transit.
The board wants to stimulate debate and discussion about development through providing the three position papers, according to a press release issued Sunday afternoon with the documents.
Board chair Derek Sullivan was quoted in the release saying there are many reasons to support development, not the least of which will be creating lasting jobs, building a healthy business base and growing the profile of the metro area.
“Concentrated development in the downtown, for instance, also can enhance use of public transit and discourage urban sprawl, which has positive environmental impacts,” Sullivan says in the release.
“Heritage and progress can, and must, co-exist,” Sullivan said. “Balance is a key principle in development. There must be a vision for St. John’s and we must look at the full puzzle rather than individual pieces. Heritage and historical integrity are not reliant on one single building or view. We welcome investment and we must find ways to make this happen, not discourage it.”
Source: http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=334358&sc=79

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 11:56 AM

^ The Board of Trade should be running the city not council. I can't wait to see this report though I doubt it will open the NIMBYs minds. Most people who complain about development don't do it becase of sensible reasons but because of views and that to many people will live and work in one area.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 3:44 PM

^ Agreed!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 8:31 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
GREAT! well stated in everything! this really lays it out there ... i'm happy to see how they look at the entire picture and not just certin veiws (pardon the pun he he he) what they describe in here is a city that i wanna live in! i'm happy that there is a force advocating this and that its council that votes on what happens instead of public votes ... because people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to development

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 10:50 PM
arf

Is there any place in St. John's to buy silken tofu? I can find firm, but I'm needing silken and haven't found it yet. Tried Blackmarsh Dominion today with no luck.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 11:41 PM

^ I don't even no what silken tofu is, I'd recommend a hamburger instead though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It's a good document, and the following statements explain a lot, including how the economics of construction have changed:

Quote:
The economics of building in St. John’s are different from 5 and 10 years ago. Costs such as construction and real estate have risen rapidly. Non-economical projects won’t get done. Developments require significant floor space to be economical. In the downtown, the means to acquire floor space other than via height are limited. . .

Regarding height as a means of achieving density, the British Property Federation notes, “as it is not practical to add a few floors across many of the existing commercial buildings in a developed district, extra floor space will principally be delivered by the replacement of existing buildings with new buildings in a few selected locations.” Making “redevelopment viable usually requires a significant increase in development density, which can sometimes be attained only by building up…in basic terms, efficiently adding height (and floorspace) to a building design adds to the density provided on the same footprint. So, for example, given a planned five storey building in a key commercial district, keeping the same footprint and doubling the floors to ten floors, while maybe not doubling the floorspace, still provides considerable added commercial density.” . . .

“adding employment density can only be commercially viable by adding a few relatively tall buildings, rather than adding a few storeys across many buildings.”
SOURCE PDF

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Silken tofu is just soft tofu, and may be packed in water, it might be in a different part of the store. I bought it by accident once, but not in St. John's. Maybe you are saying cryptically that perhaps the Board of Trade needs to encourage more diversity?

Last edited by Architype; Mar 30, 2010 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:32 AM

The only thing I didn't really like about the report was that for the most part it was all information from other sources instead of their own information. I would have liked to seee the issues related more to St. John's instead of just all cities in general. If that makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There is not the money and resources to do as much in urban studies locally, so relying on information and conclusions from other places makes sense as long as similar conditions are present. But what you are saying is also true; while the principles may remain the same, the solutions can vary from place to place.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:56 AM

Quote:
The only thing I didn't really like about the report was that for the most part it was all information from other sources instead of their own information. I would have liked to seee the issues related more to St. John's instead of just all cities in general. If that makes sense.
I think what they were trying to do is show what other cities have done and what has worked and relating back to us... i think that it lays out the benifits of high density and how its more responsible, along with what you said about resources architype

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:57 AM

^ Very true, I think just making references to probably areas of where would be good for development or something would have been nice to see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's