HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:21 AM

Rahm made an announcement today that Capgemini, provides consulting & technology services, is expanding by 500 jobs. Nothing written up except this press release.

Capgemini unveils advanced technology and development center in Chicago
Located at 333 W. Wacker Drive, the global technology and consulting company's expanded Chicago location brings approximately 500 jobs to downtown, expanding the city's growing presence as a technology and innovation hub
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300733838.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:51 PM

Chicago-based biotech incubator gets $71.8 million

The funding brings one of Paragon’s portfolio companies closer to finalizing the treatment for a rare dermatologic disease.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/heal...ts-718-million

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:07 PM

WSJ sources are indicating that Amazon has been rapidly narrowing down it's search and that NYC, Newark, and Chicago are at the top of the list. Those sites and Miami and DC have seen follow up visits, sounds like everyone else hasn't heard from Amazon in months...

If it's really us, NYC, and Newark I can't see how they go with such an expensive labor market over Chicago. This would be sooooo boring if NYC gets it after all this hullabaloo...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/amaz...st-cities.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:25 PM

I like this quote from the WSJ story:
"Executives appear to be more interested in an urban site that is already woven into the fabric of the city and less interested in having its own campus outside a city center, said the people."

Hello - Post Office. Amazon has been getting beat up politically lately. Choosing a site that is the least disruptive to a city would be a good idea. The campus idea will cause public backlash. In the Post Office, Amazon would just be another tenant.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:55 PM

I can't read the WSJ article, was Atlanta mentioned?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
I like this quote from the WSJ story:
"Executives appear to be more interested in an urban site that is already woven into the fabric of the city and less interested in having its own campus outside a city center, said the people."

Hello - Post Office. Amazon has been getting beat up politically lately. Choosing a site that is the least disruptive to a city would be a good idea. The campus idea will cause public backlash. In the Post Office, Amazon would just be another tenant.
I'm 100% team-Post Office but I don't think it's in the cards at this point. Every report I've read about Amazon's second visit to Chicago only mentioned the 78 site. And I don't think Walgreens would have located in the Post Office if they thought Amazon moving in was a real possibility.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:05 PM

New York City/Newark! Get a rope!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:37 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Unless... Amazon is planning on buying Walgreen's?

But the post office would be a good temporary site until they build their campus. Also, the "Innovation Institute" or whatever is clearly there for Amazon, right?

Also, if they're considering Newark, they clearly don't care much about state finances.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I'm 100% team-Post Office but I don't think it's in the cards at this point. Every report I've read about Amazon's second visit to Chicago only mentioned the 78 site. And I don't think Walgreens would have located in the Post Office if they thought Amazon moving in was a real possibility.
The 1st visit did not include 78. Just because they visited it doesn't mean it's their favorite. More likely is the fact that it meant something else. Could be good or bad. On one hand it could mean they didn't like any of the sites visited earlier in the year, but like Chicago and are reaching into their second tier of choices for the city. Maybe they didn't have this the first time around and it took months to get here. Perhaps they have another site nailed down for Chicago, but the 78 became more favorable after they nailed down the other site and they took a visit just to make sure. If you are about to invest billions, you know going back to make sure you made the right decision is common

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
But the post office would be a good temporary site until they build their campus. Also, the "Innovation Institute" or whatever is clearly there for Amazon, right?
I wouldn't be surprised if Pritzker kills the DPI idea if elected. Rauner refuses to mention the private investors who have pledged to invest if he wins. I never understood how a "fiscally conservative" Governor could champion a $500 million grant from the very state he claims is corrupt and broke.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...ucial-illinois

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:14 PM

Amazon should go to the 78, they can build their entire impact on the city entirely on that site, where else can you say that's true? They could literally build offices for 50,000 and 50,000 new apartments and it could basically be self contained.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:27 PM

If it's seriously between us, NYC ,or Newark, I like our chances. Both Chicago and Illinois would be more flexible than NYC and NYS. I legitimately do not understand the love affair journalist have with Amazon and DC, but I guess you have to give it credibility at this point. I do not see Miami getting HQ2.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Amazon should go to the 78, they can build their entire impact on the city entirely on that site, where else can you say that's true? They could literally build offices for 50,000 and 50,000 new apartments and it could basically be self contained.
Will they also pay employees in AmazonBucks? It could only be used in The 78.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
If it's seriously between us, NYC ,or Newark, I like our chances. Both Chicago and Illinois would be more flexible than NYC and NYS. I legitimately do not understand the love affair journalist have with Amazon and DC, but I guess you have to give it credibility at this point. I do not see Miami getting HQ2.
Because the media doesn't know what they're talking about with this? They think the richest guy in the world is going to put a business somewhere because he bought a mansion there instead of thinking up legitimate business reasons.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:33 PM

I could see them splitting it between Newark and Chicago.

As far as sites here I'd expect LY to still be favored but they are checking out the only other comparable option.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:45 PM

I think LY is far too detached from good transit. The 78 makes perfect sense.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:57 PM

It'd be cool to get the 78 up and running, but the tribune sites and Goose Island would be epic too. Same goes for LY.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:56 PM

The NYTimes has a piece today about where they think Amazon will place the headquarters, and they're leaning toward "across the Potomic from DC" which they later translate to "Crystal City". Why, I ask myself, there is absolutely no redeeming value about Crystal City I can come up other than "close to transportation that gets you out of there."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
The NYTimes has a piece today about where they think Amazon will place the headquarters, and they're leaning toward "across the Potomic from DC" which they later translate to "Crystal City". Why, I ask myself, there is absolutely no redeeming value about Crystal City I can come up other than "close to transportation that gets you out of there."
Oh man, that's a bummer. But no doubt good for the people of DC.

This is pretty compelling stuff from the article:

"Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s founder and chief executive, already owns the biggest newspaper and the largest mansion in Washington, and his ties to the city have long been a reason that the region tops most lists predicting HQ2’s result. It doesn’t hurt, either, that choosing the area would put Amazon in the backyard of lawmakers just as talk about the company’s labor practices and potential antitrust regulation is picking up."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 7:12 PM
The City

Such nonsense. Every company might as well be in DC if lobbying the Feds required having your whole HQ there....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Oh man, that's a bummer. But no doubt good for the people of DC.

This is pretty compelling stuff from the article:

"Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s founder and chief executive, already owns the biggest newspaper and the largest mansion in Washington, and his ties to the city have long been a reason that the region tops most lists predicting HQ2’s result. It doesn’t hurt, either, that choosing the area would put Amazon in the backyard of lawmakers just as talk about the company’s labor practices and potential antitrust regulation is picking up."
The people who write these articles are out of touch with how business is done. They'd probably have a point if they were just opening a 200 person executive office. Its funny they mention the DC mansion yet fail to mention that he owns a penthouse in Manhattan that is big and I think worth more than the DC place. Bezos might have an ego, but he can and will but a place wherever he wants and will pick the place that makes the most sense with business.

You know it's funny. Articles like this make it seem like Amazon is a small startup like Bezos is a 1 man show. Fucking hilarious how idiotic some of these articles are even with this. They truly think that CEOs of large companies are actually at their home base most of the year. Most of them are traveling around the world all the time either doing business, doing speaking engagements, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest