HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:59 PM

That we don’t really have local news.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of Canadians actually hate it. Or at least hate the three rotating anchors format they adopted maybe 2 years ago.

Historically though The National is a much-venerated news program it's true.

Whether it will remain so going forward I am not sure.
In the eighties, the one-two punch of The National (hosted by Knowlton Nash, then by Peter Mansbridge), followed by The Journal (hosted by Barbara Frum), was like crack cocaine to me. I tuned in every night, and I would videotape any broadcast that I had to miss.

It might have been the high point of news delivery in Canadian history. First rate in every way. I yearn for a return to such high quality delivery and intelligent round table discussions (e.g., Sunday Report of the 80s).

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
In the eighties, the one-two punch of The National (hosted by Knowlton Nash, then by Peter Mansbridge), followed by The Journal (hosted by Barbara Frum), was like crack cocaine to me. I tuned in every night, and I would videotape any broadcast that I had to miss.

It might have been the high point of news delivery in Canadian history. First rate in every way. I yearn for a return to such high quality delivery and intelligent round table discussions (e.g., Sunday Report of the 80s).
I agree. The National/The Journal was the gold standard. (The French network had the same set-up with Le Téléjournal/Le Point. It worked great there too. What a coincidence! Proof of a good concept, no?)

I don't know why they always mess with success. The CBC is especially terrible when it comes to that.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
In the U.S. she would be replaced by a giggly blond with cartoonish implants, taking gibberish.
Not a cartoonish blond, but I always find the episode of Wolf Blitzer getting destroyed by Andy Richter on Jeopardy to be hilarious. Doing well on Jeopardy isn't necessarily an accurate representation of intelligence, but I thought it was a funny representation of how news anchors have generally degraded into mouthpieces. You'd have to imagine someone like Walter Cronkite fairing better.

I think the woman in the middle was on a soap opera.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree. The National/The Journal was the gold standard. (The French network had the same set-up with Le Téléjournal/Le Point. It worked great there too. What a coincidence! Proof of a good concept, no?)

I don't know why they always mess with success. The CBC is especially terrible when it comes to that.
Agreed on both counts. From time to time I would tune in to the French counterparts, which were great.

And just when the CBC had figured out the best format, they went and fucked it up by having co-anchors (the awful Pamela Wallin sharing the limelight with Perter Baldsbridge)

A dose of Nostalgia. Back when Peter had hair:
Video Link

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

A lot of those comedians on late night TV tend to be well educated and from high end universities; Bill Maher, John Oliver, Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert, and of course Andy Richter.

Wolf Blitzer is no slouch though, he has degrees from UB and Johns Hopkins.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
A lot of those comedians on late night TV tend to be well educated and from high end universities; Bill Maher, John Oliver, Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert, and of course Andy Richter.

Wolf Blitzer is no slouch though, he has degrees from UB and Johns Hopkins.
To be fair to Wolf, I think the score was more reflective of some bad bets he placed, but I still do recall some facepalm-level answers from him.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:47 AM

I do not usually see local news, here they are heavily censored or bought

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions