HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
More reports are coming out that this isn’t going to be a traditional relocation. It will be more like treating Utah as an expansion and the Coyotes as a temporary suspension with reactivation in 5 years time, similar to what happened with the Cleveland Browns. Word is that Meruelo will even sit as an “observer” on the NHL Board of Governors during this time.
Yeah, I was hearing similar on Friday. The Coyotes would be inactive for a period up to 5 years. However unlike an expansion, the Utah team would be the Coyotes hockey operation and if/when the arena situation is sorted in Phoenix and the team re-activates, they would have an expansion draft and otherwise be treated as a new team.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah, I was hearing similar on Friday. The Coyotes would be inactive for a period up to 5 years. However unlike an expansion, the Utah team would be the Coyotes hockey operation and if/when the arena situation is sorted in Phoenix and the team re-activates, they would have an expansion draft and otherwise be treated as a new team.
What a joke.

Atlanta finally has an ownership group committed to building a 18,000 seat arena. say what you want about the Thrashers, that if the AOL-Time Warner merger had never occurred, they would still be playing.

Houston has an NHL-ready arena, and an owner who is flirting with bringing a team to the city. Hell if Austin Texas can find an owner with deep pockets, give Austin a NHL team before Phoenix. The Coyotes had more lives than a cat.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 3:47 AM

If the Coyotes' history is saved when the team moves to Salt Lake City, then I would love to see the Jets lay claim to the Coyotes' original history in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:06 PM

This team deserves a lot of love.

Payback's a bitch Hillary.

CBC

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:20 PM

A couple nuggets from the 32 Thoughts podcast this morning. Talk is the AHL Roadrunners will remain under Meruelo's ownership and move to Phoenix and play in Mullet Arena. This will in part allow the Coyote's business operation to continue while the NHL franchise is deactivated. Unconfirmed at this point whether they would remain the AHL affiliate of the Coyotes when they move to SLC.

Also mentioned was "why Salt Lake City and not Houston?" for this move. Apparently Tillman Fertitta has been playing a little bit of hard ball with the league over expansion prices. He wants an NHL team but wasn't willing to just hand a blank check over. Now there is talk that Elliotte Friedman mentioned another group in Houston that's interested in a team. Fertitta now had to publicly come out and express a more serious interest, lest this other group comes forward with a more serious plan and willingness to work with the league, and step on his turf (which I took to mean, this other group would also build an NHL arena, which would be about 25 years newer than his arena and a big competitor for other events).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
If the Coyotes' history is saved when the team moves to Salt Lake City, then I would love to see the Jets lay claim to the Coyotes' original history in Winnipeg.
They already have.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

When you're old enough to have been in hockey pools where "Gretzky goals" and "Gretzky assists" counted as 2 player picks...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
They already have.
So the original Jets' history is still in Winnipeg? I was under the impression it went to Phoenix with the team, because they have players like Hawerchuk and Bobby Hull in the Coyotes' Ring of Honor.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:42 PM
Community Guy

McJesus with 100 Assists and only the 4th to do so (99/66/4) and soon to be 5th with Kuch.

Love this look.

tsn.ca

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
So the original Jets' history is still in Winnipeg? I was under the impression it went to Phoenix with the team, because they have players like Hawerchuk and Bobby Hull in the Coyotes' Ring of Honor.
The Jets basically appropriated that on their own since returning in 2011. Hawerchuk and Hull Jets banners are hanging up at the CLC Centre (also Selanne, Carlyle, and other Jets 1.0 players)

It would be nice if it were made official - but we still have the Atlanta franchise stats hanging around depending on who is doing the comparisons.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:21 PM
I am the law!

Panther maybe known as mountain lions but, the Rockies are supertall mountains. Colorado beats Florida in 7.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:29 PM
Community Guy

May as well put this out there.

Edmonton beats Toronto in 4.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That was well written. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:21 PM

A couple more nuggets picked up from a couple podcasts that will be interesting to see the answers to in relation to the Coyotes move. One was the status of Meruelo's sports betting website. You need to own a professional sports team in Arizona to retain that license. Does his continued ownership of the AHL team qualify or is there a certain level that the team has to be?

Player agent Allan Walsh was on the McCown podcast today and made a comment that not only is there still a negotiation with regards to how much players from Arizona will get as part of this move (a small amount relative to their incomes for sure, but they get something towards moving expenses). But he also made the interesting comment about what happens with players with No Movement Clauses in their contract. That might apply to being relocated as well in this situation. It wasn't even said if there were players on the Coyotes with an NMC, but if there was and that player wasn't interested in moving to Utah, what rights might that player have? Obviously they have to move somewhere but do they have a right to demand a trade or get free agency? Remains to be seen.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:37 PM
Community Guy

Will Matthews get 70?

Will Kuch get 100?

Will that decide the Hart Trophy?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Will Matthews get 70?

Will Kuch get 100?

Will that decide the Hart Trophy?
It might but I think it should go to McDavid (even as a Leafs fan). 100 assists is more rare than 70 goals, he got there first and where would Edmonton be without him? Who the hell had the Oilers in a playoff spot in November?

Auston will probably get 3 assists and Kuch will get 3 goals tonight lol

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:58 AM
Community Guy

No 70 for Matthews - sad to see him get so damn close and feel for the guy.

100 for Kuch though and well deserved. His playmaking is off the charts.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:07 AM

Quote:
The Jets have their own ring of honour with players like Hull, Hedberg, Nilsson, Hawerchuk, Selanne, and Numminen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Jets basically appropriated that on their own since returning in 2011. Hawerchuk and Hull Jets banners are hanging up at the CLC Centre (also Selanne, Carlyle, and other Jets 1.0 players)

It would be nice if it were made official - but we still have the Atlanta franchise stats hanging around depending on who is doing the comparisons.

Except nobody in Winnipeg cares about Thrashers history. When Atlanta is awarded an NHL team for the third time, Winnipeg will gladly give back the Thrashers history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada