HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:54 AM

Nice Pics Tim! Can't wait for the publix to open! Anyone know what UAB intends on doing with the liberty national building?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:32 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Nice Pics Tim! Can't wait for the publix to open! Anyone know what UAB intends on doing with the liberty national building?
Maybe I missed something, but what involvement does UAB have with the Liberty National Building? That thing is massive, I don't see how UAB would have any use for it in its current state.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 2:20 AM
Cat Enthusiast

If you want to actually see evidence of Birmingham's dowtown revitalization, just click the link below and you'll be able to see a map of projects finished/under-construction/planned.

It's a very good display of just how active the core of the Magic City has been over the past 5 years to now.

BTW, the map is clickable

LINK

Birmingham Biz Journal
Ty West
August 14, 2015

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
They will not be using the original front wall of the old Piggly Wiggly/5 Points Music Hall. They pulled it down Friday. I did not think that wall would have held up the top 6 floors of the hotel, if that was the plan.
A construction crane is currently being installed for the Homewood Suites project, the crane is a rare sight for Five Points for sure but I hope for more.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 12:42 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
A construction crane is currently being installed for the Homewood Suites project, the crane is a rare sight for Five Points for sure but I hope for more.
Shouldn't be a tower crane though, right? Either way, the most interesting thing will be the inevitable tower crane installed on Highland Ave for the new tower.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Shouldn't be a tower crane though, right? Either way, the most interesting thing will be the inevitable tower crane installed on Highland Ave for the new tower.
Yes I believe it is a tower crane, the one where the operator climbs up to a little cab and operates the cable hoist carrying construction material to the parts of the construction site. It is like the one that was over the LIV Parkside site.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 5:36 PM

I had heard that uab bought the liberty national building. I must be wrong because I couldn't find anything on the internet about uab buying it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
I had heard that uab bought the liberty national building. I must be wrong because I couldn't find anything on the internet about uab buying it.
No, UAB did not buy the Liberty National Building. But you never know about UAB. UAB did rent space in that building from time to time and may still be using space there. A real estate firm (can't think of who they are) owns it and had plans to demolish it back when BBVA Compass Bank was looking to expand. They said it would have been very expensive to renovate because the elevators alone would cost about $10 million dollars. But BBVA decided to renovate and expand their Brock Banking Center down near Lakeview instead. So that building is just sitting empty and unloved. Hopefully when 20 Midtown is completed a use can be found for it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

SO, I was picking up my friend (who works at Alabama Power) for lunch and while I was meandering through downtown I noticed that there were PLENTY of people that would be considered "tourists". I've never doubted that Birmingham is capable of being a tourist trap, but I was actually surprised by the number of people that I saw walking around the Civil Rights District and taking pictures, unfolding their maps, and feeding the parking meters.

I'm not talking about people that look at the downtown map and think quickly "alright! this way!". I'm talking about seeing people standing on the sidewalk for more than 10 min and planning where they wanted to go.

It was a very pleasing sight!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:43 PM
Burming Hammer

truly a world-class facility. this will add 85,000 sf (existing museum is 144,000)!

Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum unveils plans for major expansion

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:59 AM

J. Clyde is talking about a putting a new brew pub in 5 Points South. I wonder if that is what is under construction out back in the alley near 14th Avenue S.
Meanwhile, foundation work continues on the Homewood Suites in Five Points South and still just the bottom part of the tower crane is on site.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2015, 1:23 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
J. Clyde is talking about a putting a new brew pub in 5 Points South. I wonder if that is what is under construction out back in the alley near 14th Avenue S.
Meanwhile, foundation work continues on the Homewood Suites in Five Points South and still just the bottom part of the tower crane is on site.
A brewpub by the J Clyde would be a phenomenal addition to the 5 points district. Birmingham breweries +1

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:49 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:06 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Tower cranes jumping up in the Southside!!! Woop woop!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:49 PM
North Beach Style

In case anyone is interested, we're leading this neighborhood plan for the Southside that is focusing on possible mixed-use, mixed-income redevelopment of the Southtown Court public housing site:

https://www.facebook.com/birmsouthsideplan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 9:11 PM
Burming Hammer

PHOTO UPDATE (9/26/15):

LIV Parkside - this one's getting close! trees, sidewalks are going in...

Negro Southern League Baseball Museum - this has opened, although i'm not sure the upper deck / restaurant is open

The Venue - cladding should start soon... looks like framing is almost complete

The Stockyard

Labcorp Parking Deck

20 Midtown - phase 1 is close; phase 2 now has a tower crane and is moving quickly

Flats on Fourth - demolition has started

Iron City Lofts - has looked like this for weeks... guess most work is on the inside right now

The Metropolitan - a sign is up! finally... no other sign of movement though

Park 35 on Clairmont - this thing is massive. not terribly tall but effectively 2 blocks long

also in restaurant news, the wooden goat (avondale) and the filling station (crestwood) are progressing nicely as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:20 PM
Burming Hammer

another vacant building getting some love. this one is fairly sizeable... can't say I've ever really paid attention to it, yet I drive by all the time.

Lawyer plans massive mixed-use project on Third Avenue North

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 5:35 PM
Burming Hammer

small project, but great for this area... Avondale continues to transform into one of Birmingham's hippest neighborhoods.

also marks the first use of the shipping container fad that seems to be popular right now...

Box Row Avondale: Developer plans $4.3 million project with up to 39 retail spots

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:55 PM

Viva Health renovating downtown headquarters in $7.3 million project, could add 400 jobs

Quote:
Viva Health's parent company is embarking on a $7.27 million renovation of its Birmingham headquarters that could bring up to 400 more jobs downtown.

The purpose of the renovation is to house the 300 to 400 workers who would help Viva administer its Medicaid regional care organizations, also known as RCOs. These organizations are allotted a set amount per month to manage the health of Medicaid recipients.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 6:35 AM

Viva Health plans $7.3M renovation of downtown HQ

Quote:
The $7.3 million project will include retrofitting 60,000 square feet on floors six through 10 to house the bulk of the company's RCO operations. That's in addition to the company's existing presence on floors 11 through 18. Their headquarters used to be occupied by Regions and is located on 20th Street in the financial district.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations