HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Those heights seem to just be hypothetical on the city's part, not something that is set in stone or a requiment. If and when a developer builds these developments, they'll decided how talk the buildings will be.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Those heights seem to just be hypothetical on the city's part, not something that is set in stone or a requiment. If and when a developer builds these developments, they'll decided how talk the buildings will be.
You're right, they are hypothetical, but when you throw out a number it acts like an anchor. So when the city starts saying the buildings should be 4-ish floors, then that frames the conversation to look at that size of a building and opposition may form to anything that is outside that frame.

It would've been better for the report not to "envision" the buildings and just say the area needed ***1,100*** units.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
My only question, why put it in two 3-5 story buildings instead of in one 7-9 floor building like they're doing up in Austin?
Because they're not talking about constructing anything yet. They're talking about repurposing the old Scobey warehouse.

http://goo.gl/maps/TSxaP

Also, a 7-9 story building requires a totally different construction technique than a 4-story building, and costs a lot more.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 8:21 AM
Paradise

Hemisfair is proposing a bill to the legislature. Article has a lot of info on the master plan.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...rk-4063001.php

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 2:38 PM

Admittedly, I wasn't a big fan of the master plan originally, but after spending a lot of time in Hemisfair recently I'm warming up to it. They made some slight changes from the last version I saw and I like the way it's going.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 4:24 AM
James

I really like the new plan, that new park area would be an awesome addition.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

A new park is always an awesome addition.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:18 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Not Downtown, but in the DT area (perhaps we need a Midtown thread now?)

Mixed-use complex weighed

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...ed-4065651.php

Quote:
Fresh from turning the dirt on a housing development at San Antonio College, Alamo Colleges administrators have resurrected a controversial idea to consolidate the district's administrative facilities, which are spread across the city, into a new central site at the former Playland Park location off of Broadway.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:08 PM

This is where the city should step in and propose a land swap. Why build this mixed use development on 17-acres on land no even off of Broadway but instead a block away.

City should swap land they own (maybe in Hemisfair) so that instead of building what will most likely be 4-5 story structures outside of the central loop, they could build a much taller structure inside the central loop.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 3:32 AM

More housing. South of Downtown is really starting clean up quite nicely.

http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/ho...401_975532.htm

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
More housing. South of Downtown is really starting clean up quite nicely.

http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/ho...401_975532.htm
Just looked up the address on google maps. It's three empty lots. Nice. From empty lots to three $300,000 houses.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:34 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
I was up in Austin for F1 this weekend and my buddies and I were commenting on the lack of students living in our downtown, and then this popped up yesterday!

I think this is exactly what the city and UTSA needs to attract more high quality students. It should also help spur some more activity around Cattleman's Square.

My only question, why put it in two 3-5 story buildings instead of in one 7-9 floor building like they're doing up in Austin?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193138

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193755
Most of the student housing happening in Austin is being built in two places. West Campus, which of course is west of the UT Campus northwest of downtown, and the Riverside Drive area southeast of downtown. Most of what is happening in the Riverside area is lowrise, say 5 to 6 floors. Some of those aren't exactly geared toward students, or at least they're more luxury apartments than student housing. Most of what exists there are huge 3 and 4-story apartment complexes.

Where the taller developments are happening is in West Campus. Most of the buildings are averaging 8 floors. They're not all that tall, though, they might be 6 to 8 floors tall, but might only be 90 feet tall maximum. Development rules in West Campus were changed to allow for more density with the height restrictions allowing for buildings of 80 feet to 200 feet. Those restrictions don't include mechanical penthouses. The height restriction only requires that a building's main roof be at that level. So say the restriction for that area is 100 feet. The main roof could be at that height, and it would likely have a 10 or 12 foot mechanical penthouse above that. The taller height restrictions in West Campus are in the center part of the neighborhood. That's where 21Rio (236 feet with 21 floors). There's also two other big projects - Callaway House 205 feet with 17 floors and 2400 Nueces 181 feet with 16 floors. What's being built in West Campus, while luxurious, is being more geared toward students than what's been built in the Riverside Drive area as of late.

As a result, West Campus is the most dense area of Austin with around 8,000 people per square mile and about 15,000 total.

Anyway, the reason I visited this thread was just to say I was in San Antonio Thursday night to run an errand in town up along 410. I gotta say, while I wish all those highrises along 410 were in downtown instead, they sure are nice looking at night and the area was impressive. I gotta say, I think San Antonio probably has the best looking suburban highrises in the state. Most of those ones along Loop 410 look nice enough to be in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Just looked up the address on google maps. It's three empty lots. Nice. From empty lots to three $300,000 houses.
That might be a tougher sell than the condos on Cevallos were; that street ends at the loading docks of Habitat Home Center and from personal experience, isn't the nicest thing to look at.
Perhaps what HFH needs is a few new neighbors that care about the aesthetics of the neighborhood to encourage it to keep it a bit more tidy.

A few years back I saw a few homes for sale in the 15k-65k range; thought about picking up a couple back then. If I only had a time machine.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Most of the student housing happening in Austin is being built in two places. West Campus, which of course is west of the UT Campus northwest of downtown, and the Riverside Drive area southeast of downtown. Most of what is happening in the Riverside area is lowrise, say 5 to 6 floors. Some of those aren't exactly geared toward students, or at least they're more luxury apartments than student housing. Most of what exists there are huge 3 and 4-story apartment complexes.

Where the taller developments are happening is in West Campus. Most of the buildings are averaging 8 floors. They're not all that tall, though, they might be 6 to 8 floors tall, but might only be 90 feet tall maximum. Development rules in West Campus were changed to allow for more density with the height restrictions allowing for buildings of 80 feet to 200 feet. Those restrictions don't include mechanical penthouses. The height restriction only requires that a building's main roof be at that level. So say the restriction for that area is 100 feet. The main roof could be at that height, and it would likely have a 10 or 12 foot mechanical penthouse above that. The taller height restrictions in West Campus are in the center part of the neighborhood. That's where 21Rio (236 feet with 21 floors). There's also two other big projects - Callaway House 205 feet with 17 floors and 2400 Nueces 181 feet with 16 floors. What's being built in West Campus, while luxurious, is being more geared toward students than what's been built in the Riverside Drive area as of late.

As a result, West Campus is the most dense area of Austin with around 8,000 people per square mile and about 15,000 total.

Anyway, the reason I visited this thread was just to say I was in San Antonio Thursday night to run an errand in town up along 410. I gotta say, while I wish all those highrises along 410 were in downtown instead, they sure are nice looking at night and the area was impressive. I gotta say, I think San Antonio probably has the best looking suburban highrises in the state. Most of those ones along Loop 410 look nice enough to be in downtown.
Interesting that you say the suburban high rises should be in downtown. According to the following chart from the Texas A&M Real Estate Center, the N Central submarket (the area around the airport and North Star Mall) and the northwest submarket (the area around the Medical Center), each have 30% more office space than the CBD:

NAI REOC: San Antonio 3Q 2012 office
(11/15/2012)

SAN ANTONIO - Healthy leasing activity generated 166,079 sf of positive net absorption, according to the third quarter survey of nearly 28.5 million sf of office space conducted by the research department of NAI REOC San Antonio. In 3Q 2012 there was a gain of 68,197 sf year-to-date.
San Antonio 3Q 2012 Office Report 3Q 2012
Submarket Total Inventory Total Vacant SF Vacant Avg. Quoted
Rent Rate
CBD 5,619,867 1,918,367 34.1% $18.95
Core NC 8,180,825 1,324,047 16.2% $21.15
Far NC 2,598,174 238,009 9.2% $27.64
NW 8,621,677 1,740,832 20.2% $20.41
Far West 373,655 31,632 8.5% $24.16
NE 2,199,958 376,691 17.1% $20.24
South 885,167 335,150 37.9% $17.34
Totals 28,479,323 5,964,728 20.9% $20.94

Link: http://recenter.tamu.edu/newstalk/main.asp?A=19
Source: NAI REOC San Antonio

With downtown largely given over to hotels and demand for office space actually diminishing in recent years (vacancy rates are the second highest of any market in the metro), the 410 corridor between Texas 16 and I-35 North is SA's de facto downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 4:52 AM

Application for the 25 townhomes near Pearl is up on HDRC website if anyone cares to look at it.http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...0_E_Quincy.pdf

Also about a dozen new locations for B-cycle stations are up for approval. Some new locations are the Zoo, Brack park, Lions Field, Madison Sq. Park and a few others...
http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...da_12_5_12.pdf
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 8:04 AM

I am waiting for something worth looking at downtown...why such a lackluster of things going on downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
I am waiting for something worth looking at downtown...why such a lackluster of things going on downtown.
I hope you are holding your breath.

Besides the Wyndham and offices on 9th St., apartments near the Pearl and the Ace Mart turning into a hotel... you're right, there isn't much.

SA will get $112 million towards a new courthouse at the end of next year (the land gets transferred this month); that might not give us anything with real height, but it might push us towards a new direction in DT. The hotel boom might be done (for now) in DT and with residential taking up shop on the fringes of DT, it might give us something with real height in the next 5 years. You might have to wait til then.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I hope you are holding your breath.

Besides the Wyndham and offices on 9th St., apartments near the Pearl and the Ace Mart turning into a hotel... you're right, there isn't much.

SA will get $112 million towards a new courthouse at the end of next year (the land gets transferred this month); that might not give us anything with real height, but it might push us towards a new direction in DT. The hotel boom might be done (for now) in DT and with residential taking up shop on the fringes of DT, it might give us something with real height in the next 5 years. You might have to wait til then.
What about the Univision land? That's going to be a mid or high rise residential building.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 4:55 PM

I thought I read that the hotel to be built on Houston Street is to be 10+ stories. I'm referring to the one next to the Maverick Building where they cut down the palm trees several months ago to make room for a valet driveway. Is this one dead in the water?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 6:42 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
There's over 1000 residential units under construction in the downtown area. Why the pessimism?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio