HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The skating ribbon kind of reminds me of that ice road level in Mario Kart. I'll be prepared with bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
The problem is that River North is not all that dense.
There are some big buildings alright, but overall,b the density is about the same as Albany Park.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...da44f31aa9db43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
True but that doesn't measure employment density. The less-dense parts of River North are still jam-packed with offices.
Albany Park doesn't have hotels, doesn't have as many commercial buildings, doesn't have massive conferences, isn't nearly as big of a shopping destination, and their population density of *adults* is lower than River North - their household sizes are larger, and children make that so. Albany Park is also stable, population-wise, while River North will almost certainly be adding close to 10,000 residents by 2020, pushing the density well above Albany Park. In fact, it's already more dense than the numbers in your link represent, as several buildings have completed since then that weren't populated then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, that's quite the density! How many cities are that densely populated?
Few. A pretty good number have districts that are that dense, though. Also, River North will never be that dense - it will probably be between 70k-90k ppsm (and have more commercial space and hotels) when it's built out.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, that's quite the density! How many cities are that densely populated?
Dhaka, Bangladesh has 115,000.
That 200,000 is a max for DX-7. Reality is usually lower.
We do have some Streeterville and Gold Coast census tracts that run 150ish. But those consist entirely of highrise developments

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
That was my point.
River North is zoned for a density of 200,000 per sq mile.(figuring standard 8x16 street grid w/66 rows an 16ft alleys, average occupancy 2/du)
But it only has the density of a mature RS-3 district.
Albany Park is certainly denser than RS-3/RT-4. Many of the numerous apartment buildings, especially courtyard and corner buildings are not legal under today's far more restrictive neighborhood zoning. There are of course many wall to wall commercial buildings as well along major streets like Lawrence, packed with small apartments on the upper floors.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Albany Park doesn't have hotels, doesn't have as many commercial buildings, doesn't have massive conferences, isn't nearly as big of a shopping destination, and their population density of *adults* is lower than River North - their household sizes are larger, and children make that so. Albany Park is also stable, population-wise, while River North will almost certainly be adding close to 10,000 residents by 2020, pushing the density well above Albany Park. In fact, it's already more dense than the numbers in your link represent, as several buildings have completed since then that weren't populated then.

Few. A pretty good number have districts that are that dense, though. Also, River North will never be that dense - it will probably be between 70k-90k ppsm (and have more commercial space and hotels) when it's built out.
Much of River North is a flood plane for the Dan Ryan. For a large part of downtown north of the Loop this is the quickest way to the freeway. It's also (I would guess from all the tourist kitsch around Ohio and Ontario) the most used connection to the freeway for tourists. The extra traffic means more incentive for car oriented development and less incentive for pedestrian oriented development. That will change as the neighborhood get's more dense but for the moment apparently their is still enough incentive to still have a parking lot or two.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:07 PM
tilted & shifted

All posts related to 9th and State have been moved to the highrise thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...59437&page=785

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 10:07 PM

203 N Wabash - Virgin Hotel

Almost done ......

9/5

9/5

9/8

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 10:25 PM

360 N Mich - London Guarantee ARC (?)

9/2

9/5

crane in first shot is from RiverWalk project

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 10:56 PM
The City

^. Nice shots as always. Btw, does anybody know what the hotel brand will be for Optima Part 2?

In addition, there was recent news that Fifield just sold K2 for a handsome profit. Being so recapitalized, my guess is that they will be getting started on their next big project very soon. Too bad it can't be the Tower of Jewel project, which fuckface Fioretti seems to be holding up...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Nice shots as always. Btw, does anybody know what the hotel brand will be for Optima Part 2?

In addition, there was recent news that Fifield just sold K2 for a handsome profit. Being so recapitalized, my guess is that they will be getting started on their next big project very soon. Too bad it can't be the Tower of Jewel project, which fuckface Fioretti seems to be holding up...
I don't think a hotel operator has been selected yet...although I might be wrong

Somehow, I think for a location like this (directly east of the Intercon), I'd love to see a semi-comparable competitor, like Raffles? Remember when Hotel de Crillon was rumored to have been the flag for the Spire hotel? Perhaps that can be resurrected here...

Also, I though Fifield sold more buildings than just K2?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Any chance that they could get moving on 625 W Monroe you think?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:20 AM
BANNED

^I might be mistaken, but I believe there is a new-looking "For Sale" sign at that property.. Perhaps they're using Old Post Office tactics?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
The problem is that River North is not all that dense.
There are some big buildings alright, but overall,b the density is about the same as Albany Park.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...da44f31aa9db43
The most conservative definition of River North sets its boundaries at Chicago, Michigan, and the River, delineating a scrap of land slightly over one-half square mile in area. According to the map you provided, River North, by this definition, contained 21,000 residents in 2012, yielding an approximate population density of 40,000 ppsm. In what alternate reality isn't this dense? Ah, that's right: one in which the reference point is a Third World open sewer.

Even so, Emathias nicely summed up the reasons why River North's already high population density is effectively higher still:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:33 AM

Maggie D Skate Park

9/7 drive by

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:45 PM
The City

^ I know some of you (just admit it!) gag at the thought of parks development that caters to children, but this thing really is a declaration. Families are officially WELCOME in the center of the city. Children are not just going to be accepted, but they will be celebrated. Along with adults, they will be pampered and catered to. That's the 21st century global city for you..

Either way, I really look forward to visiting this park (along with my kids) when it's completed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:53 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It's been a lot of fun watching the park take form from above this year........very much looking forward to enjoying from within next summer, when it should be all but done......

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Golub Prairie Ave Townhomes

Golub is showing its plans for 50-60 townhomes at the former X/O site in the South Loop (Praire/18th) at community meetings....PDNA and others coming up....

Hopefully Golub and its architect (who is it?) will show some spine and not be putting up ye olde rowhouses, as I'm sure the insufferable Tina Feldstein (see X/O debacle) will be trying to design these herself........

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:27 PM

^ LOL... so true re PDNA

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:49 PM
Content provider

soil testing this morn at the micro parking lot in the first block of W hubbard where that whiskey bar or whatever it is is going

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:32 PM

Health and Fitness garage 9/2

Coming down - tough building - resilient and flexible walls.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:07 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^ nice harry. Great seeing that eyesore come down.

What is everyone hoping to see on this site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development