HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Change the massing. Make one 35 and the other maybe 15. Could go for the tallest in Saskatoon maybe?
I agree with this thinking, assuming the unit costs don't become non-competitive in the shorter tower. Can we please do something to bring the design into the 1980's??? So fugly.......

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing—currently watching it and pulled up the page to see this Soviet-style monstrosity.
Ah it totally reminded me on that new Chernobyl film’s buildings!
There's Quite a bit of a wind tunnel on 5th Ave N. really hoping this building blocking the end of the block addresses that as that would greatly improve the quality of sidewalk live for the 300 block of 5th Ave N.

As someone who lives only a block away that will suffer from less parking on the street, this is more or less exciting (although potentially kind of ugly).

The design kind of reminds me of “inexperience large scale developer” North Prairie’s initial proposal downtown at their cancelled World Trade Center site. That worries me that Baydo may scale down their plans - unless they’ve done these large scale projects in other cities? Anyone know?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:41 AM

edit

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:20 AM

edit

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 11:59 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 12:21 PM

Re. Baydo Proposal

I have been to China and have seen first hand the grotesque commie blocks that colonize the landscape there like a cancer. This abhorrent steaming pile makes even those look good. It's absolutely revolting and I hope it does not see the light of day. Seriously, we are better off without it. (Don't get me started or I'll tell you how I really feel.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything better from Baydo....

It's too bad because the Saskatoon Land Branch commissioned KSA Group Architecture a few years ago to develop Architectural Control Guidelines for that site. I doubt any of them will be followed.

http://ksagroup.ca/work/architectura...ol-guidelines/
The mock-up on that page is night-and-day from what Baydo is proposing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:03 PM

Hi group.

Guy Quenneville at CBC Saskatoon here. Avid follower of the group.

I'm doing a piece on Baydo's proposed 23-storey apartment building. I'm interesting in getting reactions to the aesthetics and comments about whether this aligns with the previously-recommended aesthetic guidelines for the parcel.

I'm hoping to hear from at least two third-parties as soon as possible today.

Send me an email at guy.quenneville@cbc.ca if you'd be willing to give your two cents for my story.

Thanks.

Guy.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gq_in_sk View Post
Hi group.

Guy Quenneville at CBC Saskatoon here. Avid follower of the group.

I'm doing a piece on Baydo's proposed 23-storey apartment building. I'm interesting in getting reactions to the aesthetics and comments about whether this aligns with the previously-recommended aesthetic guidelines for the parcel.

I'm hoping to hear from at least two third-parties as soon as possible today.

Send me an email at guy.quenneville@cbc.ca if you'd be willing to give your two cents for my story.

Thanks.

Guy.
I nominate Ricopedia because they have the most entertaining comments by far on this thread lol

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:33 PM

I am not getting too upset over this rendering as I honestly do not believe Baydo will build it. There is absolutely no sign of activity for a more modest project on Broadway and I believe the scale of the proposed project is far beyond the scope of Baydo.

This is just another one (see North Prairie River Terrace) of those announced projects that goes no where! If it is not an outside developer like Urban Capital or locally Meridian or Victory Majors....then I don't see this being realized!

So....yes I hate the design....but no confidence the blight will be built!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything better from Baydo....

It's too bad because the Saskatoon Land Branch commissioned KSA Group Architecture a few years ago to develop Architectural Control Guidelines for that site. I doubt any of them will be followed.

http://ksagroup.ca/work/architectura...ol-guidelines/

Unfortunately, I don't have the document on my home computer but I might still have it on my work laptop, if so, I'll try to upload it.

Also, keep in mind these will be rental apartments which mean the developer or some large building manager will end up owning and maintaining this building in the long term. Hence the small windows and the large area of opaque walls, large glass windows, like those in a few of the new condo developments going up around downtown, may look great now but I weep for those condo owners when they have their first reserve fund study completed...... (coming from a fellow downtown condo owner and condo board member, thankfully my building has a much better balance of window vs opaque wall area.)
As promised here it is:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to add links to PDF files on this message board so I took a screen shot of every page and uploaded them as pictures...

I believe this report used to be posted on the City of Saskatoon or KSA group website so it was in the public realm; however, if I am asked to take it down, I will.

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

Page 5:

Page 6:

Page 7:

Page 8:

Page 9:

Page 10:

Page 11:

Page 12:

Page 13:

Page 14:

Page 15:

Page 16:

Page 17:

Page 18:

Page 19:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am not getting too upset over this rendering as I honestly do not believe Baydo will build it. There is absolutely no sign of activity for a more modest project on Broadway and I believe the scale of the proposed project is far beyond the scope of Baydo.

This is just another one (see North Prairie River Terrace) of those announced projects that goes no where! If it is not an outside developer like Urban Capital or locally Meridian or Victory Majors....then I don't see this being realized!

So....yes I hate the design....but no confidence the blight will be built!
The Broadway project was abandoned for various legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately, I have already seen soil testing being conducted at the proposed site on 5th Avenue so someone is sinking money into that lot , but yes, I hope you are right and this lot eventually is sold to someone else.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:47 PM

I had not heard the Broadway project had officially been abandoned...just assumed so, because it has sat empty for a while.

What is with these developers announcing crap all the time and then backing out? Don't go public until your ducks are in order! sheesh...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Re. Baydo Proposal

I have been to China and have seen first hand the grotesque commie blocks that colonize the landscape there like a cancer. This abhorrent steaming pile makes even those look good. It's absolutely revolting and I hope it does not see the light of day. Seriously, we are better off without it. (Don't get me started or I'll tell you how I really feel.)
Please use this quote in your CBC article, Guy. It's perfect.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:16 PM

Minsk c.1982, but with even smaller windows.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:34 PM

i'm curious to know what the reasons were for Baydo cancelling the Broadway project... I used to live off Broadway and that RBC was a lot more useful than this gravel parking lot they have there now...

I actually thought Baydo was a larger developer and doing further digging this project would probably be the size of all of their projects combined? Makes 0 financial sense for it to go through - meaning the city must have only gotten one buyer for the lot... It will definitely sit there and collect parking revenue from the city. Such a shame as the city doesn't even fully rent it out for parking.

The only economical sense I would see in building this now and not before is that with River Landing occuring - Lafarge may be offering extremely cheaper concrete prices than before since concrete wasn't in demand in Saskatoon prior to these projects.

Saskatoon has a has epidemic of local developers announcing these large scale projects with no intention to build to try and scare away out of province developers...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:33 PM

^^^ Just a comment on the post above - Concrete prices have dropped significantly across the board from what we'd been paying a couple years ago. I'd say the price drop has been in the range of 15%. This is based on increased competition (Burnco has come to the market), more than on increased demand.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:08 PM

I would not be so certain that Baydo's Broadway project is cancelled. I've recently heard from a source that while it was delayed for technical reasons it's still proceeding.

Maybe Mr. Quenneville can ask Baydo about the status of that one for his article.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:24 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing—currently watching it and pulled up the page to see this Soviet-style monstrosity.
Holly Molly. I Know some 6 year old kids that could come up with something better.
This looks like a hospital, or a prison. Can't imagine anyone who would want to live there. Those windows are tiny. Looks depressing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan