HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I really like certain elements of it. I like how they break the design up into three sections, which they talk about in the pdf. The first 7-8 floors is sort of at the "human scale", there is a break there, then the next 12ish floors is in the general height of several of the other buildings in the area, then it tops out as a new tallest, though it won't stick out like a sore thumb. Grade is probably a few feet higher than where the Wells Fargo tower is, and as we've talked about before, the 422 feet of the Wells Fargo tower is a little suspect, in that only some of the stuff sticking out of the roof get that high, with the roof being around 400 (if memory serves), so I actually think this tower would look significantly taller. Dave, I think 350 is the top of the pyramid on One Utah Center, it's that Wells Fargo building roof is actually shorter than advertised. The façade materials are fine, nothing special but not horrible either. Overall I like it. Fingers crossed it gets built!
The roof of the Wells Fargo Building is one level below the upper level helipad structure. So, I think the 422' is to the top of that structure. You have to keep in mind that the southern end of Wells Fargo is probably a good 15 to 20 feet lower than the northern end of the One Utah Center tower, due to the slope of Main Street. So, it only appears to be about 50 feet higher rather than 70 feet taller.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:33 PM
ML Engineer

Also just a note, The Kensington as currently planned would be almost 30 feet taller than the COB but ground elevation is 50 feet lower than where the COB is. The roof would be about 25 feet lower in elevation than the roof of the COB.

Even Millenium Tower if it actually comes to fruition would be on ground 86 feet lower than the COB. So even at 500 feet the roof would be 6 feet lower in elevation than the roof of the COB.

The nearest parcels to the COB (discounting the parcel just north of it) that could possibly have a highrise are all about 40 feet or more lower in elevation than the COB.

Really we'd need like a 525+ foot building, depending on where it's built, to have a clearly visible new tallest from most angles. Otherwise the skyline will continue looking quite flat, which is fine but kinda boring.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:56 PM

That’s why I’ve been thinking 500-600 really won’t stick out that much because the elevation changes so much depending on what part of the city you are in. I do like how the “middle” of the skyline is filing in with the Utah theater proposal and the Kensington tower possibly going through. Cross your fingers the economy holds on long enough to make this happen. As someone said on here earlier, with a strong market and super low interest rates it kinda feels like a now of never situation to get these big projects done. It also seems like steel prices haven’t been a deterrent to large projects and steel seems to be stable.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:07 PM

Building Salt Lake Article about The Kensington Tower

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
All the Kensington Tower images from the BSL article. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mee...CL0ZllhjDn6ixM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:43 PM

While I am still skeptical about the Kensington Tower, I am hopeful. The Building Salt Lake site states that the planned construction start date is late 2020 or early 2021.

This will be the first actual jump in building height for SLC since the COB was built. With the Wells Fargo being 2 feet taller, it wasn't enough to push other developers to go higher. This, if built, will be a good 25+ foot jump.

Remember that prior to the crash of 2007/2008 that when The Cascade was originally planned to be 415', there was a developer in South Salt Lake that wanted to push his condo project higher to compete.

With the residential market in SLC being what it is and the demand for downtown living being even higher, I could see that this project could spark a push for residential projects to build higher.

We have been seeing a gradual increase in height happen around the Downtown core already with Liberty Sky being the first planned residential tower (12 or more stories) since City Creek opened in 2012. Since then we have had a few residential tower projects (12 stories or greater) be announced or planned. 255 S State, Block 67 phase 2, Utah Theater and Kensington Tower. Each project is taller than the next with 255 S State being the shortest. If each project is built as planned, I would expect that we will see additional residential towers planned as well as the heights increasing with a possible new tallest again after Kensington Tower is completed.

Last edited by Makid; Sep 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 12:41 AM

It's a good design package, but it's interesting that the amenities are what set it apart. Here in Seattle, both outdoor and indoor amenities are required, for at least 5% of the building gross square footage. Sky decks are quite common here. Public outdoor amenity spaces are required if it is an office building. Also, above-grade parking counts toward FAR. It doesn't seem as if there is an FAR limit on that site. I appreciate how they are creating terraces that line up at certain heights. I still think it looks like an office building, and that they should consider adding balconies or decks overlooking Gallivan Plaza. The proportions of the building are great, though. I really hope this goes through, but based on the experience of the developer, I am highly doubtful. Unless they have some cards up their sleeve that we're not aware of, I'm not sure how they can even secure the financing for this. One thing is for sure, Salt Lake City is in desperate need for a tower like this.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 12:43 AM

I think the design is decent for sure. I think the ground floor area could use a little more interest, but it might look better with retail shops in there and people going in and out, etc. I would also prefer a slanted roof, but at least it's not a boxy roof, I like the indents at the top. It's certainly better than a lot of our roofs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:41 AM

Since I live in San Antonio, I can compare the two skylines. San Antonio feels more dense and urban, and has 2 towers taller than SLC talles (although SA 2nd tallest is about the same height as the Kensington tower) but still not impressive for a MSA of 2.5 million.

That said, SLC has more towers over 300 feet and more over 200 feet than San Antonio and with the new towers, the divide between the two will be more. Pretty crazy to me. Nice to see SLC hitting that boom.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:14 AM

Fox 13 Article about The Kensington Tower

https://fox13now.com/2019/09/05/prop...lest-building/ Also footage of Tower 8 construction happening and they show the fence that was put up at the site of Liberty Sky

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:46 PM
SLC Lifer

Regent Street Hotel

Talked to a friend who knows such things who said the Regent St Hotel is back on track. Not sure of the form or if it's even the same group. Fun times.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:43 PM

Wow, Wouldn't that be something!! Having the Regent go up, and right next door to the Kensington would be incredible.

I was wondering if the Garden Lofts on 600 S. project was built. No one ever posted updates that I can remember. I think someone did say that it was already under construction some time ago. Just wondering with all of the activity it just kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Oh, okay. I guess I can answer my own question. I see on Google where it's almost complete. Should be ready for occupancy sometime this Fall. Would be nice to get an update of it. I imagine a lot of you pass by it often. Last update I could find for downloading was about a year old.

Downtown Update - Affordable housing to replace the Royal Garden Inn

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/aff...al-garden-inn/

The site of an aging motel will soon be the home of downtown Salt Lake’s next affordable housing development. Demolition work has started on the Royal Garden Inn at the 100 West block of 600 South to make way for construction of the Garden Lofts Apartments, a proposed 272 unit affordable housing development.

Garden Lofts will be third downtown adjacent, work-force housing project by Wasatch Residential Group. The developers also built the Providence Place at the 300 East block of 100 South and the 600 Lofts at the southwest corner of the 600 South and State Street intersection.

All of the project’s 272 units will be reserved for residents earning 60 percent AMI (Area Median Income). The units will be a mix of studio, one, two and three-bedroom apartments, the bulk of which will be one and two bedroom apartments. Rents will range between $725 for studio units to $1,065 for the three-bedroom units.

The Lofts will replace the two-story Royal Garden Inn on a 3.18-acre parcel that is completely surrounded by mid-rise hotels.

A preliminary rendering of the south face of the Garden Lofts as designed by BSB design. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Crews have started demolition work on the Royal Garden Inn. Photo by Isaac Riddle.

Also, any updates on the Exchange Site?

Rendering of the northeast corner of The Exchange. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

Rendering of the southwest corner of The Exchange and People’s Way a city-owned private street. Image courtesy Salt Lake City.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Tower crane is going up at Tower 8 / 95 State.

Has anyone seen any renderings of the new social hall pavilion and tunnel? I’ve only seen a little bit that’s hard to comprehend and is mostly cropped out of the tower renderings...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 10:13 PM

The Garden Lofts are nearly finished. They're finishing the exterior work on it currently.

There's actually a handful of apartment projects that have been lost in the shuffle or forgotten on here with so many larger projects going on.

They're moving very quickly on the Exchange (old SLC Roasting Co. location). They're above ground on it now. It's a pretty big construction project.

There are three 4 story apartment buildings going up on West Temple between 8th and 9th South. I assume these are all the same developer. They resemble the micro apartments that went up across from the Trax station on 200 West.

The Marmalade project next to the library on 300 West is well underway also. And the Paperbox demo is complete. The apartment building immediately south of the Target on 300 West is almost framed out.

I live downtown and keep an eye on these projects. I'd take pictures, but they're such a pain in the ass to upload on this forum.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Talked to a friend who knows such things who said the Regent St Hotel is back on track. Not sure of the form or if it's even the same group. Fun times.
I would love to see this project get built. I think there is a demand for it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:09 AM
Space Magi

Wow! Lots of great projects on the docket! I really hope they all come to fruition.
Here's a list of just the towers I could think of:
  • 370 Millennium Tower - 27 stories
  • Tower 8 - 26 stories
  • Kensington Tower - 39 stories
  • Regent Street Hotel - 20 stories
  • Convention Center Hotel - 28 stories
Did I miss any? We need to get some new drawings on the SLC diagram!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Wow! Lots of great projects on the docket! I really hope they all come to fruition.
  • Tower 8 - 26 stories
Theater tower... Not sure on stories, but 375'

Also, Liberty Sky at 21(?) stories, but under 300'

That is 7 towers over 20 stories that are possibly in the works. That is awesome.

Last edited by wrendog; Sep 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
  • Tower 8 - 26 stories
The SLC tower projects I have listed are:

Under Construction
95 State: (Office (498,000 sq. feet)) - 25 floors.
Nearing Construction
Liberty Sky: (Residential (270 units)) - 21 floors.
Planned/ Prospective
Brinshore State Street Project: (Residential (190 units)) - 14 & 7 floors.
Convention Center Hotel: (Hotel (750 guestrooms)) - 29 floors.
Kensington Tower: (Residential (380 units)) - 39 floors.
Theater Tower: (Residential) - unknown floors
370 Millennium Tower: (Office+Residential) - *I still have it listed at 27 floors.
Regent Street Hotel: (Hotel (190 guestrooms)+Residential (48 units)) - 21 floors *subject to change.
Block 67 Phase II: (Mix) - unknown floors *subject to change
Let me know if there are any corrections.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
The SLC tower projects I have listed are:

Under Construction
95 State: (Office (498,000 sq. feet)) - 25 floors.
Nearing Construction
Liberty Sky: (Residential (270 units)) - 21 floors.
Planned/ Prospective
Brinshore State Street Project: (Residential (190 units)) - 14 & 7 floors.
Convention Center Hotel: (Hotel (750 guestrooms)) - 29 floors.
Kensington Tower: (Residential (380 units)) - 39 floors.
Theater Tower: (Residential) - unknown floors
370 Millennium Tower: (Office+Residential) - *I still have it listed at 27 floors.
Regent Street Hotel: (Hotel (190 guestrooms)+Residential (48 units)) - 21 floors *subject to change.
Block 67 Phase II: (Mix) - unknown floors *subject to change
Let me know if there are any corrections.

I was in the process of compiling the information that I could think of as you were probably writing your previous post.

So I made a rundown of anything over 10 stories:

370 Millennium Tower
370 S. West Temple
27 stories

Tower 8
100 S. State Street
26 stories
395 feet

The Cascade (Tower 2)
50 West 100 South
20 stories
260 feet

Kensington Tower
200 South State Street
39 stories
448 feet

Liberty Sky
151 South State Street
21 stories
262 feet

Regent Street Hotel
45 East 200 South
20 stories
337 feet

Convention Center Hotel
200 South West Temple
28 stories
335 feet

Hines Tower/ Utah Theatre
144 South Main Street
30 stories
375 feet

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Phase 1)
251 West 100 South
11 stories –hotel
11 stories –residential

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Future Phases)
251 West 100 South
18 stories – residential
25 stories – office

650 Main
600 South Main Street
10 stories

655 W Temple (phase 2)
655 South West Temple
10 stories

RDA property
255 South State Street
14 stories

Hardware Station Office building
155 North 400 West
10 stories

Possible Others:
Arrow Press Square development
?
?

btw, an interesting find..... Kensington has added another downtown SLC property to their portfolio this year. purchased it in May 2019.

http://www.kicboston.com/properties/...200-south-2-2/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:00 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
I was in the process of compiling the information that I could think of as you were probably writing your previous post.

So I made a rundown of anything over 10 stories:

370 Millennium Tower
370 S. West Temple
27 stories

Tower 8
100 S. State Street
26 stories
395 feet

The Cascade (Tower 2)
50 West 100 South
20 stories
260 feet

Kensington Tower
200 South State Street
39 stories
448 feet

Liberty Sky
151 South State Street
21 stories
262 feet

Regent Street Hotel
45 East 200 South
20 stories
337 feet

Convention Center Hotel
200 South West Temple
28 stories
335 feet

Hines Tower/ Utah Theatre
144 South Main Street
30 stories
375 feet

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Phase 1)
251 West 100 South
11 stories –hotel
11 stories –residential

Block 67 - Northwest Quarter (Future Phases)
251 West 100 South
18 stories – residential
25 stories – office

650 Main
600 South Main Street
10 stories

655 W Temple (phase 2)
655 South West Temple
10 stories

RDA property
255 South State Street
14 stories

Hardware Station Office building
155 North 400 West
10 stories

Possible Others:
Arrow Press Square development
?
?

btw, an interesting find..... Kensington has added another downtown SLC property to their portfolio this year. purchased it in May 2019.

http://www.kicboston.com/properties/...200-south-2-2/
That is a lot of infill on properties that have been underutilized in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City for years. Doesn't really leave much space left in the D1 zoning area for future construction. Maybe it's time to expand the D1 zone to other areas and relax the 375-foot height restriction in the D1 zone. Also, before someone explains that developers can go higher with a review I want you to know I am already aware of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West