HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
I have been wrong many times in the past, but I'm sure the Georgia Hotel was on the east side of Hamilton. The LaSalle Hotel was on the west side of Hamilton, but one block north, between 12th and 11th.
So...Georgia was the name you were looking for then? I just remember it as a long narrow space, maybe 3 rows of tables...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

^ Yes, my bad. Georgia was the name I was looking for. Many times late thanks.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 6:53 AM

growing up near the intersections of Park and Victoria Ave, I remember when there was a Coke bottling plant about where the present Burger King is. Across the street there was a Safeway where Shoppers is now and "BiRite Drugs" right next to the present day Dairy Queen (in the same mall) .Man that was back in the 70's.......

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 3:24 PM

I remember when the YMCA on Rochdale Blvd was a Giant Bingo Hall.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I remember when it was the Co-op Hardware store, then it was split in half and was the Co-op Hardware and the Saan Store.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
The Giant Bingo hall you most likely speak of was a little to the west of there, which used to be a roller rink and is now a mini-golf/arcade/theatre. I believe the bingo hall was only in the YMCA building for a short period of time. Either way, we are both right I suppose.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 9:25 PM

I remember when they built the Sherwood Village Mall. When it opened it was full of tenants and was considered one of the premiere shopping centres in Regina. The entire area to the north of the shopping centre was undeveloped and still farm land. That doesn't seem all that long ago but I beilieve it was about 1981 when that place was built.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Molson House....that is what I miss the most.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The Giant Bingo hall you most likely speak of was a little to the west of there, which used to be a roller rink and is now a mini-golf/arcade/theatre. I believe the bingo hall was only in the YMCA building for a short period of time. Either way, we are both right I suppose.
Actually, the YMCA was a bingo hall for a short time. After they closed the Co-op Hardware down, they knocked down the middle portion of the mall, then turned it into a stand-alone Bingo hall.

That building was going to be a movie theatre (second run movies, like the Rainbow). I'm not sure what happened (maybe a city bylaw preventing it), but it never materialized.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:59 AM
Chilean like a villian

I remember on Sask Drive (which was South Railway Street at the time) by the Taxi's gas station and car wash they sold no-name soft drinks called PICK-A-POP, my dad would always buy a case and we also bought those bottle cap covers especially made for glass bottles...MMM ice cold glass bottled Coke

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:57 PM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
SHADES!!! that was it, thank you!
I seem to recall going to Shades once and they had dumped sand all over the floor to have an indoor beach party. It didn't really fit in with the 80's metal they were playing but it was convenient for a drink after Rider games.

My bars of choice when I was bar-age (mid 90s) were Checkers, Channel One and the State. PJ Melons was also popular but plummetted in popularity after that under-age kid died trying to walk home from there to Sedley in the winter. Those of you at the UofR at that time surely will remember that story.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
I seem to recall going to Shades once and they had dumped sand all over the floor to have an indoor beach party. It didn't really fit in with the 80's metal they were playing but it was convenient for a drink after Rider games.

My bars of choice when I was bar-age (mid 90s) were Checkers, Channel One and the State. PJ Melons was also popular but plummetted in popularity after that under-age kid died trying to walk home from there to Sedley in the winter. Those of you at the UofR at that time surely will remember that story.
Oh, I remember that one like it was yesterday, what was that guy thinking? You are right after that incident PJ Melons popularity sunk like a stone, or possibly a brick.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 9:14 PM

Snowbirds

I remember when (about 1978 or 79 I think) a tudor jet (snowbird) was doing touch-n-go exercises between CFB Moose Jaw and YQR and sucked a bird into the engine. The plane crashed and exploded right by the railroad tracks (now Louvan Drive) just south of Regina Avenue. A friend claimed to find a piece of a jaw and several teeth on the tracks a couple weeks later.

In the Regina construction thread there is a rumour posted that a tudor jet is being erected on a pedestal near the intersection. I'm speculating that it might be a memorial to the pilot.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrider View Post
I remember when they built the Sherwood Village Mall. When it opened it was full of tenants and was considered one of the premiere shopping centres in Regina. The entire area to the north of the shopping centre was undeveloped and still farm land. That doesn't seem all that long ago but I beilieve it was about 1981 when that place was built.
I remember a bar in the Sherwood Mall called Benson's. It featured live music on the weekends, and it was pretty much all heavy metal. Spent a lot of time there around '87. Don't think it was open too long after that.

I think this thread will eventually name every bar in Regina from '85 til now...and no I haven't been to all of them...but probably most of them LOL!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 8:18 PM

I remember a night club called "The Venue" somewhere in the warehouse district, where I and some friends saw the group T'Pau perform. It was a nice, intimate setting, but really, really loud! -- Probably because we arrived really early and got a table up at the very front! ... Grrr! Nobody told me that the main act (T'Pau) would start at 2am that night! We were so happy when the opening act (a group called Diesel (?), I think) started around 11pm, played for about an hour, but then, they took at least a couple hours break in between groups! At least the club didn't get rich off of us that night, as all of us at our table don't drink (can't tolerate) alcoholic beverages! ... ( )

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The Assiniboine Club ...
The building is said to be haunted on the top floor (3rd floor, I think), where on occasion, you might hear noises from above when you would dine on the 2nd floor, when it was Danbury's Restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 12:55 AM
Calgarian

T'Pau, eh? Sounds like a good time in 1987.

I have heard the Assinboine Club ghost story too. Government House is also supposedly haunted as are the old buildings at Fort San. I have never heard of anyone who had experiences at the first two, but I have heard second hand of people who have had creepy experiences at Fort San.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 8:27 AM

Sorry to sidetrack! Here's a link (http://carillon.uregina.ca/10.30.03/story11.htm) about the haunting at Assiniboine Club and a few other places.

And here's a link (http://www.everythingcreepy.com/saskatchewan.html) for the Fort San Sanitorium in Fort Qu'appelle, and others!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 9:38 PM

Wow, I could fill a page with all my memories of Regina. I was born and raised there, in quiet Whitmore Park, until I moved away to go to university. Here are just a few of the things I can recall:

Southland Mall when it first opened, with Woolco (complete with the Red Grille and $1.44 Days) and Dominion. Also, who could forgot the mall interior with its white false ceiling beams, lit store sign "cubes", dark brown faux-brick tile flooring and bright orange benches and garbage cans?

Golden Mile when it wasn't an enclosed mall... later when it was enclosed, home to Gambles, Zellers, Woolworth, Pedeli (saltiest fries ever - so good!), and OK Economy.

The Gordon Road and Albert/Rae Street strip malls with Geno's Pizza, Bi-Rite Drugs, Video City, Canada Trust, Cactus Jack's/Buffalo Bill's and Captain Scott's Fish & Chips.

Albert St. South with Texaco (7-11), Lakeside Chrysler (Sobeys), the Vagabond Hotel (Travelodge), Bel-Air Motel (West Harvest Inn), Landmark Inn (demolished), Chinese Palace, Fuller's pancake house, the Pic-a-Pop at the Shell station, Imperial 400, the Old Gold... and at the edge of town, KiddieLand. I also had a friend that worked at the old A&W with drive-up and table service inside (loved that orange fireplace)!

Downtown: Kresge; the "Malt Stop" in the old Bay building; Simpson-Sears on Hamilton St.; the Broadway, Met, Odeon and Coronet theatres; and the Plains Hotel, when it used to be respectable. I also remember a little place called Peppi's Gelato, on the NW corner of 12th Ave and Albert St. As well, for us Dungeons and Dragons geeks, a shop called Wizard's Corner II.

I could go on but I'll stop there...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 9:58 PM
Chilean like a villian

Wow good memory, great post! and finally someone else who remembers PICK-A-POP!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
The Gordon Road and Albert/Rae Street strip malls with Geno's Pizza, Bi-Rite Drugs, Video City, Canada Trust, Cactus Jack's/Buffalo Bill's and Captain Scott's Fish & Chips.
Yeah! And also The Yellow Submarine pre-made pizza shop, where you could buy cold pizzas and then cook them at home - and The Pipe Shop next door with all the fancy cigars and paraphenelia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan