HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:55 PM

I remember working finishing construction on the last high-rise tower to be built in downtown Regina in 1992 or 93, the CIBC tower which is now the FCC tower. That was too long ago. It's time for some new high-rise construction downtown don't you think.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
I remember working finishing construction on the last high-rise tower to be built in downtown Regina in 1992 or 93, the CIBC tower which is now the FCC tower. That was too long ago. It's time for some new high-rise construction downtown don't you think.
I remember when there were automated Christmas displays in the street front windows of Simpson's, on the opposite corner of 12th and Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 7:55 PM

Quote:
the first building constructed in the area was a roller rink
The Great Skate! I remember a few childhood birthday parties there.

Quote:
I remember when there were automated Christmas displays in the street front windows of Simpson's, on the opposite corner of 12th and Hamilton.
I remember when Northgate Mall had the coolest Centre Court Christmas display, consisting of Santa's Workshop, a lot of fake snow, and animatronic elves busy with various tasks. Later it was all replaced with animatronic bears, which wasn't bad... but today's displays pale in comparison.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
I remember when Northgate Mall had the coolest Centre Court Christmas display, consisting of Santa's Workshop, a lot of fake snow, and animatronic elves busy with various tasks. Later it was all replaced with animatronic bears, which wasn't bad... but today's displays pale in comparison.
I remember when the Northgate Mall was the only indoor mall in Regina. It was the best place to go for air-conditioning when it hit 100 F (I remember Farhenheit).

It was probably less then half the size it is today. The main stores I remember were Woolco, Dominion and Little Bavaria restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:15 PM

i remember (not the name) the school on albert and sask where now the bk/robins is.

i definetly remember toy city.

i remember jim dandys convience stores.

i remember when bi-rite drugs were in regina.

i remember fuddruckers (now a smittys).

i remember ginos (best pizza buffet by far).

i remember reginas only skateboard store in the 80's called skate fever, right behind the sears bargain centre.

i remember the black market.

i remember the bar roxy's,(ugh).

i remember the old lazy owl/students union building.

i remember pj melons.

i could go on...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:26 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
my apologies if someone has mentioned this.......

At the Hill Ave mini mall in the 1970's there was a take out chicken place and it had absolutely the best fried chicken in the world...When we came to visit Regina it was always the highlight of the trip. Dang I miss that place.!

honourable mention..."Franks Cafe"
I don't know if it's the place I am thinking of BUT if it isn't you just reminded me of an awesome fried chicken place that we used to go to instead of KFC when i was a kid. It was called CHICKEN ON THE RUN! Does anyone know where that was?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I remember when the Northgate Mall was the only indoor mall in Regina. It was the best place to go for air-conditioning when it hit 100 F (I remember Farhenheit).

It was probably less then half the size it is today. The main stores I remember were Woolco, Dominion and Little Bavaria restaurant.
I'm pretty sure it was always a Safeway at Northgate. Not that I was around then, but I've seen ads for the mall's grand opening in 1965, and the pictures showed Safeway at one end and Woolco at the other. Dominion was across the street from Woolco, where the Brick is now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumuser View Post
i remember the bar roxy's,(ugh).
Don't forget it used to be called DELBERTS before it became Roxy's and eventually died out but I agree with the "ugh" it was quite the dive,

while we are on the bars subject...

I remember The Factory (and the endless names changes in its last few years of survival) AND i remember before it was the Factory it was at one time an underage club called ROCK CITY and before that it was also a bar but I cant remember the name as I wasn't old enough but for some reason i have the name Studio 54 or something like that in my head but I'm probably wrong

I remember the old Gabbos in the basement of the old Presutti's Tomatoes across from the SGI tower.

I remember when Soho's used to be called Manhattans (its never been the same again) and you could wait in line downstairs inside and have a drink and play pool before getting in upstairs AND that you could ply beach volleyball in their backyard and watch games from the 2nd floor deck wich was later deemed UNSAFE before it changed names to NEW YORX and the SOHO's

and lastly I remember Lauderdales inside the Regina Inn!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
Don't forget it used to be called DELBERTS before it became Roxy's and eventually died out but I agree with the "ugh" it was quite the dive,

while we are on the bars subject...

I remember The Factory (and the endless names changes in its last few years of survival) AND i remember before it was the Factory it was at one time an underage club called ROCK CITY and before that it was also a bar but I cant remember the name as I wasn't old enough but for some reason i have the name Studio 54 or something like that in my head but I'm probably wrong

I remember the old Gabbos in the basement of the old Presutti's Tomatoes across from the SGI tower.

and lastly I remember Lauderdales inside the Regina Inn!
yeah, the factory had a dozen names. rock city being one. it became channel one for awhile then it was a under 18 club which i cant remember the name. lauderdales eventually turned into the metro.

delberts, haha..

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:51 PM

studio 54 was in the scarth street mall. i used to drink way underage there. i believe they got shut down for the same reason.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:52 PM

i remember the elephant and castle.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:53 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
yeah, the factory had a dozen names. rock city being one. it became channel one for awhile then it was a under 18 club which i cant remember the name. lauderdales eventually turned into the metro.

delberts, haha..

Ahhh, CHANEL ONE! Thank you!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, CHANEL ONE! Thank you!
but technically, channel one first started where the state is now. it was channel one for years until they decided to move to where the factory was.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 11:59 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
but technically, channel one first started where the state is now. it was channel one for years until they decided to move to where the factory was.
which is now The Distrikt, I wonder if it's had any other name changes?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:03 AM
Chilean like a villian

I also remember that where Gabbo's currently is used to be another bar (I don't remember the name so if anyone knows please do tell) AND it used to also be CASH CONVERTERS! I bought a VCR there once.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:06 AM

what was that bar that was very short lived on sask dr that opened right after checkers closed down?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:09 AM
Chilean like a villian

Oh yeah, I think that was THE WAREHOUSE, rumour was that it was the old CHECKERS management that decided to open that one up when CHECKERS closed down. It was on Sask Dr across from the cheap Taxi Cab gas place.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:01 AM

Quote:
which is now The Distrikt, I wonder if it's had any other name changes?
Use to be the Snitzel Hause. One of the first few places punk bands got there start in the late 70's and early 80's.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebubu View Post
Use to be the Snitzel Hause. One of the first few places punk bands got there start in the late 70's and early 80's.
Good call...Shnitzel house when it first opened...then it was the Venue...then Channel One...then The State...now The Distrikt.
That's gotta be a record for one spot in Regina.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:49 AM

Quote:

delberts, haha..
Not sure when it was underage...but I think Factory was the late 90's name...Channel One was the mid 90's name, saw The Odds there around March of '95...and I recall it briefly being called To The Max, maybe late 80's/early 90's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan