HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 9:48 PM
Time/Space

Chicago - Where is this?

Sorry but I am not too familiar with Chicago except maybe the loop area and Grant Park. I have seen many great photos of the city but I have never seen these two photos before. I am intrigued. Where is this at? Is this the lake? Looks very calm. Like a pond or something. So where are the photos location at? What is that 'museum type' buiding? Do you have more photos? Please post them. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 9:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

1st photo: looking south across the south pond in lincoln park to the downtown skyline in the background.

2nd photo: the museum of science and industry which is down in the hyde park neighborhood on the south side. the water in the foreground is columbian basin, which is a lagoon remnant from the world's columbian exposition of 1892, along with the museum building itself.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 2, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 5:37 AM
tilted & shifted

South Pond is also rimmed with two Chicago landmarks:

South Pond Refectory

Men's and Ladies' Comfort Station

A lot of people don't realize how many hidden treasures there are in Lincoln Park. If you explore enough, you'll find some interesting things.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 5:37 AM
Time/Space

Cool. Thanks alot for the information Steely Dan! I will check out these areas next time I visit Chicago. I am sure I can take a train to these areas. Right? Or some kind of bus? Or maybe a Taxi. But then I am sure it will be hard to get a taxi back to the loop. Anyway I will really like to visit.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 6:13 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
Cool. Thanks alot for the information Steely Dan! I will check out these areas next time I visit Chicago. I am sure I can take a train to these areas. Right? Or some kind of bus? Or maybe a Taxi. But then I am sure it will be hard to get a taxi back to the loop. Anyway I will really like to visit.
Unfortunately, both locations are too far east to be served by el trains. There is a Metra Line that goes to Hyde Park from Millennium Station, which is underground, near Millennium Park. You can enter the pedway that leads to the station via a stairwell on the SW corner of Michigan and Randolph, right by the Chicago Cultural Center. Take that line to 55th-57th at Lake Park Ave. As for cabs, Lincoln Park is only three miles north of downtown, so it won't be that expensive. Hyde Park, on the other hand, is seven and a half miles south of downtown. I've taken cabs to and from the University of Chicago (in Hyde Park) many times and it can be about $50-60 roundtrip. By bus, to get to Lincoln Park, take the #151 from downtown right to the Webster stop. You can pick up the #151 on State Street from Jackson all the way north to Washington and then on Michigan from Randolph all the way down Michigan. The ride will take about 25 minutes and take you down the Mag Mile (I ride it to and from work each day). That would be my recommendation for reaching LP. Hyde Park can take a lot longer by bus. Try the #6, a bus that goes express down Lake Shore Drive and stops very close to the Museum of Science and Industry.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 9:24 AM
Time/Space

^ Thanks for the tips. I will take note of that.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 9:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post

NO problem getting a taxi in Lincoln Park; there are more taxis on the northside than in the loop. Hyde Park, might be hard.
Bus...
You can take the 151 to get to the South Pond; it goes right through the park on Stockton! And the 36 or 22 goes up Clark street, and you'd get off at Armitage. For the Museum of Science and Industry, I take the 6. There are others that'll get you there, but you can get on the 6 on State, and it comes like every 5 mins durring the day.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
2nd photo: the museum of science and industry which is down in the hyde park neighborhood on the south side. the water in the foreground is columbian basin, which is a lagoon remnant from the world's columbian exposition of 1892, along with the museum building itself.

SSDD

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 2:38 PM

If your adventurous and want to rent a car both parks are easilly accessed by Lake Shore Drive and are only a short drive directly from downtown.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
South Pond is also rimmed with two Chicago landmarks:

South Pond Refectory

Men's and Ladies' Comfort Station

A lot of people don't realize how many hidden treasures there are in Lincoln Park. If you explore enough, you'll find some interesting things.
haha..rimmed...what exactly is a Comfort Station? Is it called that becuase people are caca shy?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 12:02 AM

Jularc,

If the weather is nice, you could take the Brown Line to Armitage and just walk east; that location is only about a mile away (it's about 3/4 mile from the L to the edge of the park at Clark street), so on a nice day you also get to walk through a pleasant neighborhood (Lincoln Park).

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Mar 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
NO problem getting a taxi in Lincoln Park; there are more taxis on the northside than in the loop. Hyde Park, might be hard.
Bus...
You can take the 151 to get to the South Pond; it goes right through the park on Stockton! And the 36 or 22 goes up Clark street, and you'd get off at Armitage. For the Museum of Science and Industry, I take the 6. There are others that'll get you there, but you can get on the 6 on State, and it comes like every 5 mins durring the day.
Getting a taxi from the front of the Museum of Science and Industry is not a problem, even late at night. You might have to call for it, but there are lots of drivers that live in the area and would love to get paid to make their drive into downtown for their shift.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture