HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 2:18 AM

They should go the educational route and make it the first CÉGEP of Manitoba in my opinion. It’s prob my favourite thing about the Québec education system.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 2:31 PM

Have there been any actual proposals by the local French population to make use of the building. Besides getting it for free because muh heritage?

My in laws live scattered through the area and think it's ridiculous how the heritage French people handcuff everything because of muh heritage. They're French and have lived in the neighbourhood their entire lives.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:21 PM

Pile driver and workmen on site at 174 Provencher Blvd! Couldn't get a picture, was driving by.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Pile driver and workmen on site at 174 Provencher Blvd! Couldn't get a picture, was driving by.
Great news! That project is going to add a lot on Provencher.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:42 PM

Finally, good news.

Any news of the one on the other side of Provencher, next to the place that burnt down. They were going to demolish the 2 existing buildings, but IIRC that one encountered problems.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Finally, good news.

Any news of the one on the other side of Provencher, next to the place that burnt down. They were going to demolish the 2 existing buildings, but IIRC that one encountered problems.
Wish that proposal could move over to the right to occupy all the vacant land, rather than demolish the existing buildings. Would plug a gap nicely.

The area could use a ton more infill and a decent hotel.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:35 PM

It's basically a junkyard in that Provencher/St Joseph/ Dumoulin corner. I think they moved most of the cars out from the lot along Provencher.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Wish that proposal could move over to the right to occupy all the vacant land, rather than demolish the existing buildings. Would plug a gap nicely.

The area could use a ton more infill and a decent hotel.
I agree wholeheartedly on the hotel. A nice boutique hotel, maybe in the French style of architecture with a nice café and maybe a boulangerie? Game changing for Provencher.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 7:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Finally, good news.

Still going through zoning...to council on Jan 25th.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:30 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Have there been any actual proposals by the local French population to make use of the building. Besides getting it for free because muh heritage?

My in laws live scattered through the area and think it's ridiculous how the heritage French people handcuff everything because of muh heritage. They're French and have lived in the neighbourhood their entire lives.
As a french guy, I can confidently say that the french folks living around there feel entitled to gatekeep anything that happens there, including getting first dibs on buildings like these. People like myself are not alone in noticing this. There's a smaller sub-set of the francophone population that sees themselves almost like St. B royalty of sorts, and have a bit of an insular mindset. In any event, I just want to see the area reach its potential.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 3:14 AM

Provencher should already have been the Jewel in the Crown decades ago.
The pessimistic narrow minded persons against future growth have strangled the area for decades.
Provencher has a wide attractive centre boulevard, decent foliage, nice vistas & views towards Downtown, close to many other touristy spots + more.
I do agree that a Boutique Hotel for Old City Hall would be ideal.
I could see a couple more eateries, perhaps bar lounge, night clubs open and capitalize on The French Quarter concept which up until is now was a joke.
The rest of the street would flourish if the consistent Nimbys / naysayers to every development smarten up.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 8:07 PM

Is this still the current design for 165 Provencher? I found these renderings on the Verne Reimer Architecture website.

Source:
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work/provencher/

Looking at the City Council agenda for Jan. 25, it looks like the lot consolidation (Plan of Subdivision) has already been approved and City Council will be voting on rezoning the land to RMF-L.

Council Agenda:
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

Honestly looks pretty promising, but I don't want to jinx it lol. That building has some real size and the design is pretty nice.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 8:23 PM

Also, has anyone heard about the apartment building at 158/160 Dumoulin Ave moving forward? It looks like it was approved by City Council in May 2022:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=652476

Renderings:

Source:
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work/dumoulin/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:44 PM

Excavator working at 174 Provencher today. Looks like forms are starting to be placed. Walked by in my lunch break today.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Also, has anyone heard about the apartment building at 158/160 Dumoulin Ave moving forward? It looks like it was approved by City Council in May 2022:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=652476

Renderings:

Source:
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work/dumoulin/
No idea but bumping this to see if anyone knows. Seems like a great project in such a high potential area. Old St B should be one of Western Canada's nicest neighbourhoods. It has amazing history and bones for it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:54 PM

fyi Streetside will be constructing another condo on Aubert, behind Verve South. not announced yet and will probably be another 2 yrs before constructions starts. Vue Tache was very popular, all units but 2 sold and those are the $6-700k ones, the $400-$500k ones sold quite quick. I'll share more details as I get them

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
No idea but bumping this to see if anyone knows. Seems like a great project in such a high potential area. Old St B should be one of Western Canada's nicest neighbourhoods. It has amazing history and bones for it.
Both the Provencher and Dumolin projects have had a change in developer. Apparently everything is proceeding. I am just not sure that the designs will still be the same.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Both the Provencher and Dumolin projects have had a change in developer. Apparently everything is proceeding. I am just not sure that the designs will still be the same.
I sure hope they stay as nice as they were supposed to be. Some quality architecture that would have been great for the area was planned.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
fyi Streetside will be constructing another condo on Aubert, behind Verve South. not announced yet and will probably be another 2 yrs before constructions starts. Vue Tache was very popular, all units but 2 sold and those are the $6-700k ones, the $400-$500k ones sold quite quick. I'll share more details as I get them
That's great to hear. For the new condo building, are you talking about the lot directly to the east of Verve South?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
That's great to hear. For the new condo building, are you talking about the lot directly to the east of Verve South?
That'd be a great spot. Buy out Cancar (if it's still even functioning) and you'd have a wicked piece of real estate to work with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan