HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I forgot to take an update picture yesterday. Not much change from the November 2nd update except that they continue to add more of the forms for the ground level floor on the left side.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 6:07 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Here is your weekly update shot, taken Saturday the 15th:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 7:52 PM

A great design and a new tallest residential building. Calgary is getting it right.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:03 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBoy View Post
A great design and a new tallest residential building. Calgary is getting it right.
It's funny that the current tallest residential is the first tower, arriVa 34!

Here is a shot I took on November 16th, the first real snowfall staying on the ground:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:10 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Update picture I took just now, more ground floor concrete being poured:

Zoomed out a little more:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 3:29 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

My update picture taken yesterday, when our temperature was a very cold -26 degrees celsius, windchill was around -36!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 6:59 PM

Thanks for braving the cold to get us these updates Bigtime.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:07 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Exclamation Dec. 29/08 Update

A picture taken last night by myself, they have come back from Christmas break and were pouring the 3rd parking level on the north side of the tower. It is also worth noting that it was announced before Christmas that the third tower will now be a boutique hotel, approximately 12 stories instead of the proposed 3rd residential tower of 42 stories. The rumour right now is it could be a subsidiary of the Raffles brand.

Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 4:59 AM

It's just about time for another shot from above

They must have changed the format for the highrise construction thread, I'm finding it hard to find our taller projects. Our projects are now being mixed in with a bunch of 20 something storey buildings

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I'll be taking a shot when I get back home on February 1st. Right now they seem to be concentrating on the remaining underground parking sections, probably to get it up to grade and move forward with the boutique hotel right away.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 1:15 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Feb 3/09 Update

As promised here is the latest update shot, just taken from my balcony. Although it looks like not too much has changed they have done a lot more work on the north side underground parking, getting it about 2 floors from ground level now.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 1:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so now it starts going veritical woot

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:01 AM
Editor

I can hardly wait for this thing to start climbing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 2:26 AM

construction is damn slow!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 2:05 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Exclamation March 2nd Update

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, life and all that you know!

They appear to have been focusing on getting the rest of the parkade fully to grade, I expect that after that they will start on the podium for the entire project (arriVa 42 & the boutique hotel) and then start going vertical with the tower from that point.

Here is the status as of the evening of March 2, 2009:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:13 PM

i heard these parking lots and old buildings are gonna be destroyed for new developpements and new highrises....is it true?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:20 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koval95 View Post
i heard these parking lots and old buildings are gonna be destroyed for new developpements and new highrises....is it true?
I would have to answer no. On the arriVa project they have saved and restored the old Sandstone school (bottom right of my pics) and the wooden bungalow school (bottom left of the pics) was actually moved from the northwest corner of the site before they started excavating for the undeground parking.

As for the rest of the Victoria Park neighbourhood, all the standing warehouses are pretty protected. With all the vacant space of parking lots around there is no reason why the city should let a developer rip down an old building instead.

Now before Victoria Park was full of big parking lots it was full of single family homes. Unfortunately the area fell on hard times and a lot of the land was expropriated by the Stampede for their expansion, and developers have snapped up almost every big chunk of land left. Come the next big building cycle we'll probably see about 8-10 more towers rising in the community.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 11:08 PM

Why would they cut out the third tower? Had they not started sales or was it not selling given the economy?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 11:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBoy View Post
Why would they cut out the third tower? Had they not started sales or was it not selling given the economy?
They never did start marketing the 3rd tower, arriVa 42 is 70% sold. So the decision was made to make the 3rd tower a boutique hotel that will be 10 stories tall. Right now that is all I know, I'm hoping we get some new renderings soon to show the project with this change.

The developer; The Torode Group of Companies, already operates the boutique Hotel Arts at 12th avenue and 1st street SW. He also owns the small Kensington Riverside Inn. So it is familiar territory for them. I am actually quite excited, it makes the project a little more attractive than just residential with some retail at base. Oh and perhaps because now my view directly west won't have a 42 story tower blocking my view!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I would have to answer no. On the arriVa project they have saved and restored the old Sandstone school (bottom right of my pics) and the wooden bungalow school (bottom left of the pics) was actually moved from the northwest corner of the site before they started excavating for the undeground parking.

As for the rest of the Victoria Park neighbourhood, all the standing warehouses are pretty protected. With all the vacant space of parking lots around there is no reason why the city should let a developer rip down an old building instead.

Now before Victoria Park was full of big parking lots it was full of single family homes. Unfortunately the area fell on hard times and a lot of the land was expropriated by the Stampede for their expansion, and developers have snapped up almost every big chunk of land left. Come the next big building cycle we'll probably see about 8-10 more towers rising in the community.
I actually asked that because one of my friends wich works in the city hall told me that just right beside the Calgary city hall, theres a huge parking lot and a railway just beside, and Calgary is planning to destroy that zone for new highrisesm, so i thought they would do the same in the whole area.
Anyway thx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive