HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:12 AM
Danny D Oh Danny D Oh is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
While I see your point, a party can't campaign on governing a province while only running in it's main city. Imagine if Notley would have taken than tack last year, or Layton in 2011 (by forgetting about running in Quebec). Having a truly provincial campaign keeps those small constituency associations alive, helps build a province-wide network, and if nothing else, gives future candidates experience and face-time with the electorate.
The Liberals in Manitoba are nowhere near comparable to the NDP in Alberta or federally in either of those instances. They have no base anywhere. There is no riding that anyone would look at today and say the Liberals should win that riding. They haven't had official party status since 1995. They need to build something somewhere before they can hope to mount a meaningful campaign throughout the province. In observing the campaign so far do you think they are campaigning to govern, even if they say they are?

They have no resources, they can't mount a true campaign and their human capital is arguably more pathetic (Rana). They need a focused direction, some achievable goals and a competent organization on a smaller scale that can act as a foundation before they can even think in Notley or Layton terms.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:22 AM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
The Liberals in Manitoba are nowhere near comparable to the NDP in Alberta or federally in either of those instances. They have no base anywhere. There is no riding that anyone would look at today and say the Liberals should win that riding. They haven't had official party status since 1995. They need to build something somewhere before they can hope to mount a meaningful campaign throughout the province. In observing the campaign so far do you think they are campaigning to govern, even if they say they are?

They have no resources, they can't mount a true campaign and their human capital is arguably more pathetic (Rana). They need a focused direction, some achievable goals and a competent organization on a smaller scale that can act as a foundation before they can even think in Notley or Layton terms.
The NDP in Alberta went from 4 seats (out of 87) in 2012... Three years later and they won a majority government (including winning many rural seats that usually supported PCs in 60% and 70% ranges. Not comparing the elections at all, just the need to run a full slate (or close to a full slate). If the NDP only ran in Calgary and Edmonton, they would not have won a majority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:35 AM
Danny D Oh Danny D Oh is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
The NDP in Alberta went from 4 seats (out of 87) in 2012... Three years later and they won a majority government (including winning many rural seats that usually supported PCs in 60% and 70% ranges. Not comparing the elections at all, just the need to run a full slate (or close to a full slate). If the NDP only ran in Calgary and Edmonton, they would not have won a majority.
After they spent a decade building their base in Edmonton.

The Manitoba Liberals have a long way to go. Spending any resources right now in ridings where the PC's or NDP are likely to win a majority of the votes makes no sense. To me running a full slate is less important than getting a foothold in the legislature.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:27 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
https://twitter.com/WheelerintheAM/s...96008787951617



You want this guy to be Premier?! lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:31 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
We should remember that there are some solid candidates running for the liberals still. Peter Chura, Noel Bernier and Althea Guiboche come to mind. I wouldn't completely count them out. Surprises happen and they might still be able to elect 5 or 6 MLA's. If they can do that, I think the NDP win single digits. After all, all politics is local.
"All politics is local"? You really believe that? Perception about a party's leader, and how well a party is run, is a big factor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:31 PM
Chrisforpm Chrisforpm is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
"All politics is local"? You really believe that? Perception about a party's leader, and how well a party is run, is a big factor.
It's a famous quote from former US house speaker Tip O'Neill. I'm not saying it happens in every case, but if the Liberals do elect one or two more MLA's it won't be because of how well the central campaign has been running things. It will be because of name recognition and how well the local candidate is able to connect with the voters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:32 PM
Chrisforpm Chrisforpm is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://twitter.com/WheelerintheAM/s...96008787951617



You want this guy to be Premier?! lol
Haha, is he not pretty enough?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:57 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,271
The conspiracy theories have begun. The media is out to get them.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...374665581.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:45 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
Haha, is he not pretty enough?
Looks like he doesn't want to wear pants lol not sure how well that'd go over at the Leg!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:11 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 2,209
Green party would remove school tax from property tax bills. PC's have been quiet on this subject. Manitoba is the only province continuing to tax this way. It leads to an unfair distribution of school taxes. Schools in different divisions could be funded equally per pupil where as the tax bills for residents in said divisions are grossly different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:22 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
The school system needs an overhaul. Do away with school divisions. Or keep the divisions to loosely define regions, but get rid of the school boards. They are a complete waste of time and money.

All schools should be funded, like Cheswick said, equally. There should be no reason why someone in St. James is paying a different tax rate than someone in St. Vital.

Never mind the fact that kids are just pushed through, as to not hurt their feelings. They might develop some form of feelings about stuff. The nanny state is greater than ever with the kids these days. If you failed math, maybe you should re-take those classes so you learn. Not just push them through, then they'll fall further behind because they didn't learn the previous years courses.

It's all about the union. They will never let their members lose jobs. They tuk r yooobbbbs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:12 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
I'll probably get criticized for various reasons. But oooh me likey!

NDP would fast track inner ring road in city of Winnipeg. #breakingnews
https://twitter.com/lrkusch/status/717728096611209217
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:21 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 25,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll probably get criticized for various reasons. But oooh me likey!

NDP would fast track inner ring road in city of Winnipeg. #breakingnews
https://twitter.com/lrkusch/status/717728096611209217
What is this but a desperate ploy to hang on to the suburban swing ridings?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:24 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
Lol yes of course. I know it's typical election promises.

With the Liberals going in the tank, gaffe after gaffe from them, it could get interesting. I think It'll still be a PC win. But maybe a minority instead of majority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:30 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 2,209
Follow up to that tweet is chief peguis would be first on the list and could get started within 4 years. Is that fast tracking or is that announcing projects already underway, like they did with downtown parking lot development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:32 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
^Ya who knows. There's not really much that can be done in the next 5 years anyways. Chief will go ahead. Moray will get extended south. Already being planned, so nothing new there. The City is planning to complete a study on the inner ring road in two years anyways.

Maybe they're indicating the Province will play nice at all the locations where the ring road goes outside CoW boundaries. Such as Chief at CCW.

Also I see Larry posted another tweet about Province and Feds could pay entire cost of inner route. That'd be sweet. Anyways, election promises.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:45 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 25,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Lol yes of course. I know it's typical election promises.

With the Liberals going in the tank, gaffe after gaffe from them, it could get interesting. I think It'll still be a PC win. But maybe a minority instead of majority.
Minority means that the Liberals will have to win seats. At this point the only realistic shots they have left are maybe Ft. Rouge, River Heights, Tyndall Park. If I were a betting man I'd say River Heights, and that's it. A minority is not very likely with a 1 MLA third party.

With or without a Liberal implosion, it's still looking like a PC majority. A plummeting Liberal vote will just narrow the margin a bit and perhaps tip a few more ridings in Winnipeg to the dips.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:52 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll probably get criticized for various reasons. But oooh me likey!

NDP would fast track inner ring road in city of Winnipeg. #breakingnews
https://twitter.com/lrkusch/status/717728096611209217
It makes sense from the perspective that it's a project the city is interested in pursuing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:19 PM
Chrisforpm Chrisforpm is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Minority means that the Liberals will have to win seats. At this point the only realistic shots they have left are maybe Ft. Rouge, River Heights, Tyndall Park. If I were a betting man I'd say River Heights, and that's it. A minority is not very likely with a 1 MLA third party.

With or without a Liberal implosion, it's still looking like a PC majority. A plummeting Liberal vote will just narrow the margin a bit and perhaps tip a few more ridings in Winnipeg to the dips.
Agreed. I say the Tories hold everything they currently have plus pick up 5 seats outside the city (Dauphin, Interlake, Gimli, Dawson Trail and Swan River). In Winnipeg they pick up St. Norbert, Fort Richmond, Assiniboia, Kirkfield Park, Riel, Seine River, Southdale, Radisson and Rossmere. That is 33, not unreasonable (the city ridings used to be either safe or swing Tory seats).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:28 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,522
Here's the dipper article from today.
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/ndp-promi...ipeg-1.2848051



Don't really agree with having Kenaston as part of the ring road. Would take less effort and cost to complete the Bishop/Moray connection and deal with the three blocks of houses on Moray north of Portage. It's all pipe dreams anyways.. Or freeway dreams maybe??

They also show the Southwest Tranitway in the original alignment, not the Parker Dog leg one. So you can see how well informed they are.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.