HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Nope, not a gas station.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Cory B, while I understand what your saying, how many of the Law or Accounting companies that are in the existing class A buildings are are there because of their business relationships with other tenants there?

If they move to be in a Chipman building could that mean the end of probably large accounts with the other companies.
Also, Both TDS and Aikins have close to 100 lawyers. The Chipmans run a sizable enterprise, but they've also got in-house counsel. They aren't creating enough business for either of the big firms to be justifying a move on the basis of sheer goodwill. If one of them moves, it's because they believe it will benefit their image to a material degree.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Nope, not a gas station.
Seriously, wasn't it a surface parking lot?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:56 PM

I thought empty lot / hole in the ground from the building that was suppose to be built on that corner just before the 1929 depression started.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:02 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Love the Coke clock. Too bad it was not preserved.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:27 PM

Look at those 3 ton gravel trucks rumbling through town with no tarps.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:52 PM
Ignore these four words.

Look at that. Grass and a little bit of bushes on P&M. Taken from the Childs Building perhaps?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Here is some advice for you. Simple doesnt like Chipman. So you wont be allowed to post any pro-chipman remarks here without getting his nonesense in return. Its not worth it. Many of us just skip over his posts. There are many people here who are both smarter and nicer than he.
I hate Chipman too, that's one reason why I like Simplicity.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I hate Chipman too, that's one reason why I like Simplicity.
You hate a person you probably never even met. And one that has brought a boat load of development to this city.
Please do not set foot in the MTS centre to see anything. I would t want you and ,simplicity to give any of you negative money to chipman

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 1:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It was the iconic Coke sign. When approaching from the west it meant Portage and Main.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You hate a person you probably never even met. And one that has brought a boat load of development to this city.
Please do not set foot in the MTS centre to see anything. I would t want you and ,simplicity to give any of you negative money to chipman
Seriously, since you have strong issues on this matter, please explain to us here how the nuances of the SHED TIF and various taxation subsidies used to facilitate these developments contribute to the city's bottom line and the betterment of the local economy.

Please cite resources and facts when making your case. I think that will help us get to the crux of your point about how all of this is so beneficial. I might encourage the Unknown Poster to do the same. I'm certainly open to a case to the contrary if one can be made.

I'm quite looking forward to this. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 4:12 PM

I wish we still had lots of those Coke-type signs were around downtown. And/or that some of the remnant building-top billboards were being properly used.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 4:45 PM

ahhh that coke sign... makes me cry they don't let that stuff be allowed downtown anymore.. all we see on the perimeter of downtown is cavalia advertisements three deep

and am I bad to say im pro "Simplicity"? the guy knows what he's talking about.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I wish we still had lots of those Coke-type signs were around downtown. And/or that some of the remnant building-top billboards were being properly used.
rooftop signs akin to grant park in Chicago for the forks would be amazing!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 8:26 PM

Winnipeg jets mb moose birchwood infiniti have created tons of jobs in themselves you lost all credibility get lost..... The jets impact us immeasurable to this i don't care about the tif etc but that are some dt is ten times more vibrant now than before they got here.. Hehe bright private investors here in alt hotel condo developers girls your such a moron it's not even funny.. Too dismis chipmans contributions to the city you are a fool get out of here birchwood itself is a huge creater of jobs

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
Winnipeg jets mb moose birchwood infiniti have created tons of jobs in themselves you lost all credibility get lost..... The jets impact us immeasurable to this i don't care about the tif etc but that are some dt is ten times more vibrant now than before they got here.. Hehe bright private investors here in alt hotel condo developers girls your such a moron it's not even funny.. Too dismis chipmans contributions to the city you are a fool get out of here birchwood itself is a huge creater of jobs
Honestly, do you inhale bath salts before you post? What a mess.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 4:29 AM

If SHED, subsidies is a means to an end, and that end is the downtown we have today vs the downtown we have 10-15 years ago...

There has not been in my lifetime such a positive air downtown. Much of that is private investment - the restaurants, bars, and coffee shops that populate the exchange and sopo - that wouldn't be there without some of the public subsidies brought in - hydro, MTS centre, SHED. Without these things, we'd probably be back in 80s downtown wasteland in which I grew up.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 5:39 AM

^ The 80s were like a magical wonderland compared to now.

I'd go so far as to say that things are better downtown than they were about 15 years ago, though... that 5 year stretch around the time that Eaton's closed is arguably when downtown was at its lowest point... about 1998-2003.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 6:29 AM

Downtown megaprojects have probably driven more small businesses under than they've helped along. Portage has seen its small businesses most famously decimated, starting with Portage Place, but Main street has probably suffered the worst, with a string of publicly funded disasters from the civic centre, to the Pan Am Games demolitions, to the more recent WRHA building cutting an organic, small business driven revitalization off at the knees. The reason the exchange is probably doing so well at the moment probably has more to do with CentreVenture leaving the area alone for the last ten years than anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan