HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I've heard the hotel announcement is imminent.
So it sounds like 2 out of 3 towers could soon be a go... all except for the 19 storey office tower. With MLLC out of the picture, you have to think it could be some time before we see it materialize.

I wonder if Longboat isn't being a bit too cautious with the condos, though? According to reports, the hotel tower will have 21 storeys of hotel rooms and only 6 storeys of condos. 6 almost seems like a 'why bother' number... why not make it something substantial like a dozen or more?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I've heard the hotel announcement is imminent.
Thanks for the Update. Hoping it all comes together

Note: no edit above error on my part.
--------
Thanks Esquire. Proposed height of initial structure changed in thread title.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:55 PM

^ Thanks, cyro. Source for the height details is this WFP article from last month:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...330211211.html

Quote:
The 19-storey tower will be about 300,000 square feet and will include a 14-storey tower on top of a five-storey podium. The retail tenants, one of which could be a grocery store, will be on the bottom two floors, Stephanson said, and the rest of the building is expected to be office space.

The nine-storey tower on the former Carlton Inn site will be about 270,000 square feet, and most of that is also expected to be office space.

The third tower -- a hotel/condominium complex to be built at the south end of the MPI property -- will include a main-floor lobby area, 21 floors of hotel rooms and six floors of condos.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 9:09 PM

Thanks for the update Esquire. Changes made in OP with correct info.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:36 PM
BANNED

We await impatiently...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 1:22 AM

So two office towers and a hotel/condo building. I'd rather see more residential units, but infill is still nice

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So it sounds like 2 out of 3 towers could soon be a go... all except for the 19 storey office tower. With MLLC out of the picture, you have to think it could be some time before we see it materialize.
Between the Jets, the Moose, True North, Longboat, Ticketmaster and Birchwood I would imagine they could use up a decent amount of space in an office tower if tenants were really needed. Yes Jets/True North and Ticketmaster have space in the Powerhouse but that space could be turned over to the Tavern for a possible expansion.

It is telling though that MPI has their training centre and customer service center it what could otherwise be some prime retail/restaurant space in CityPlace.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 4:40 PM

^ Right now TN takes up some awkward space in the Powerhouse (including beneath CTV at the west end of the building), but I guess you could say that TN has grown so much in size and stature since Powerhouse became an office building that they might be poised to take up some higher profile space.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Is anyone privy to GWL's need for space?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:46 PM

Every time I see GWL, I instantly panic and think of JWL (Judy Washs a lot of leaves)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Is anyone privy to GWL's need for space?
Their name has been bandied around as a possible tenant for various projects if they ever wanted to centralize their various offices located outside of their core campus, although I guess the way they do it now gives them a lot of flexibility and a lot of leverage to get good deals.

Incidentally, does the description of the hotel+condo tower as consisting of "a main-floor lobby area, 21 floors of hotel rooms and six floors of condo" mean that this tower will be 28 floors high? Or will there be some combined hotel/condo floors? If it's the former, that would mean a fair bit more height than we were initially led to expect. Given how big Edmonton is going with the Ice District, it would be nice to see at least one landmark tower emerge from TN Square... even a 28 floor hotel/condo would fit the bill as it would likely be noticeable on the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 5:56 PM
BANNED

We will have to rely on SkyCity for that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Incidentally, does the description of the hotel+condo tower as consisting of "a main-floor lobby area, 21 floors of hotel rooms and six floors of condo" mean that this tower will be 28 floors high? Or will there be some combined hotel/condo floors? If it's the former, that would mean a fair bit more height than we were initially led to expect. Given how big Edmonton is going with the Ice District, it would be nice to see at least one landmark tower emerge from TN Square... even a 28 floor hotel/condo would fit the bill as it would likely be noticeable on the skyline.
I was curious myself on the interpretation. 21 or 28? If someone can confirm either it would be greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Between the Jets, the Moose, True North, Longboat, Ticketmaster and Birchwood I would imagine they could use up a decent amount of space in an office tower if tenants were really needed. Yes Jets/True North and Ticketmaster have space in the Powerhouse but that space could be turned over to the Tavern for a possible expansion.

It is telling though that MPI has their training centre and customer service center it what could otherwise be some prime retail/restaurant space in CityPlace.
I know a few people that work at TN and say everyone hates the offices and they are very cramped, lots of people actually work in the MTS Centre sometimes haha. Also I think there's zero chance of Tavern expanding as their sales have dropped off a ton since Shark Club opened. The only possible way would be if they wanted to expand the kitchen (it's way too small), but I think the loading dock is behind it, and they seem very content with poor food quality and service so I would be shocked, haha.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I know a few people that work at TN and say everyone hates the offices and they are very cramped, lots of people actually work in the MTS Centre sometimes haha. Also I think there's zero chance of Tavern expanding as their sales have dropped off a ton since Shark Club opened. The only possible way would be if they wanted to expand the kitchen (it's way too small), but I think the loading dock is behind it, and they seem very content with poor food quality and service so I would be shocked, haha.
so did TN take over the space that TicketMaster vacated in the Powerhouse?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:55 PM

It would seem stupid for TNSE not to relocate into their own development. Especially if they have shitty office space right now.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
so did TN take over the space that TicketMaster vacated in the Powerhouse?
Not sure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It would seem stupid for TNSE not to relocate into their own development. Especially if they have shitty office space right now.
The original SoPo render reel talked about having your business offices overlooking the wonderful plaza where fans gathered before the game. That would seem the be exactly the kind of space TNSE/Jets/Moose would want to occupy.

As for Tavern, if the concept is as tired and worn out as people want to make it out to be maybe its time to close down and do a major renovation and change to a new concept. It's a golden location with the right concept and operator. Imagine if TNSE took control of the space and built a walkway from the "inside" space at MTS Centre to the Tavern patio. They could then restrict smoking to only being on the patio and stop allowing in/out access during events and recapturing those lost beverage sales!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The original SoPo render reel talked about having your business offices overlooking the wonderful plaza where fans gathered before the game. That would seem the be exactly the kind of space TNSE/Jets/Moose would want to occupy.
Both renders were always centered around a square concept..SoPo (old concept) Top image, True North Square, updated name(concept) 2nd image.

Image Source: https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...61630595231744

Giving you some type of gathering space for celebrations or events..
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:16 PM

If the interior of the tavern got a face lift, i'd easily say lets go there and knock a couple drinks when the line at Shark Club is out the door.

Besides having the best patio in the city, the inside is a huge debbie downer IMO. Mind you, the current look is what a Tavern United is supposed to look like. I'd much prefer a 'shark club' atmosphere with a side of pretty ladies to get me back in there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan