HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Pallister cannot magically transform Manitoba into the land of milk and honey. What I believe he will do is make the province more competitive, rein in spending, and simply manage the province's finances more responsibly.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 2:29 AM

Taking up this conversation here, instead of in Winnipeg Construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

I agree in principle.

Winnipeggers have grown accustomed to the idea that we can only help our economy by providing the labour for the government's initiatives. How limiting is that? How cute that we band together, hold hands and help the gov!

Now we NEED government help to grow our downtown because construction costs so greatly outweigh rent and demand for space. Here we are in a somewhat aided and abetted economic conundrum where unfortunately, now we need the government to give us grants for towers. Or any housing downtown.

We have been slow and steady for an eternity and that can be good. However we could have been a-little-slower-than-average and steady. We have resources and we have opportunity and the NDP has made sure to get in the way whenever possible.

We pay very high income taxes. Land transfer tax, gas tax, pst tax, all up. The payroll tax from the early 80s NDP still stings... "oh, you're making money, how about we introduce a tax" Our payroll tax is among the highest or the highest in the country (and I bemoan Pallister for not pledging to eliminate it), was introduced purely to cash in on private success, except it doesn't go away during harder times.

Any time Manitobans and our economy ever had any buying power it's been grabbed at. We've developed a nostalgia for our self-perceived (and totally fake) nobility to be humble, but all we've actually done is stayed average. If that. So whenever the government needed more money they said "you have plenty, and we need this money, to do work for you" and we sat and took it, because it's ok to take from the successful, because they (or we) have.

Lo and behold we are a have not province with a downtown office market decades behind others in Canada, needing cash from the government to do ANYTHING, and we're naive to the dependency the tax-and-spend dippers have created for us. Throw any $$ at any shiny promise, get elected, keep them dumb and fed.

And it sucks. Because Pallister is right in principle, but we need money to build our downtown now that we finally have momentum, for the first time in decades. Yet Pallister might be too stubborn to spend, like a parent unwilling to reward a spoiled and lazy child that finally stands a chance to make something of itself. I would fault him for that, but never for this hyper-taxed dependent attitude forged by the NDP, which is the ONE thing they've actually done effectively.

Pallister may not help our downtown unfortunately. I hope he does. However, if he gets the government out of Manitoba's way, that's not a bad thing.

Holy shit I'm cynical.

I generally agree with what you're saying. My main issue with Pallister's claim that "Manitobans need to build their own economy" is that many Manitobans work for the government, either directly or in crown corporations. Why are they precluded from building their own economy?

Trueviking made a pretty good case for how the MLCC opening this location at TNS was a case of Manitobans building their own economy. Just because the Manitobans doing so work for a crown corporation doesn't mean that what they're doing is a bad idea.

I'd love for the government to get out of our way. But I can't hold out much hope for that happening when they can't get out of their own way. Pallister is proving himself just as much of an economic meddler as Sellinger was, only from the opposite side of the same inept coin. If he's truly interested in getting out of our way and letting us build our own economy, maybe he should consider privatizing the LC, or at least butting out and minding his own business.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 2:53 PM
What could go wrong?

I noticed yesterday that the elevator cores have now reached street level and should be above ground very soon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

looking to be a steel frame building eh?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:45 PM

Pretty sure it concrete.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Taking up this conversation here, instead of in Winnipeg Construction.

I generally agree with what you're saying. My main issue with Pallister's claim that "Manitobans need to build their own economy" is that many Manitobans work for the government, either directly or in crown corporations. Why are they precluded from building their own economy?

Trueviking made a pretty good case for how the MLCC opening this location at TNS was a case of Manitobans building their own economy. Just because the Manitobans doing so work for a crown corporation doesn't mean that what they're doing is a bad idea.

I'd love for the government to get out of our way. But I can't hold out much hope for that happening when they can't get out of their own way. Pallister is proving himself just as much of an economic meddler as Sellinger was, only from the opposite side of the same inept coin. If he's truly interested in getting out of our way and letting us build our own economy, maybe he should consider privatizing the LC, or at least butting out and minding his own business.
That further proves my point. How can we govern responsibly if we attach consistently and increasingly peoples' livelihoods and dependencies to an excess of government spending, employment, and occasionally waste? This is why I don't trust the NDP, because they will harbour votes with gov positions, which in principle is inefficient. The Liberals, you never know... whichever way the wind blows to keep them in power. Conservatives aren't immune to this behaviour but lean towards a free market, which isn't determined by them... so by default I trust them a bit more...

The MLCC wasn't Manitoba building their own economy, it was the gov demonstrating that even the mightiest of us need the gov to make any money. That's the problem. I agree we need the money, and I'm in favour of this, THIS time, but in principle, how did we ever let it get this far? Not even DAVID THOMSON get get a development going without MAJOR tif funding and MLCC propping up the lease schedule.

More specifically to the MLCC... who knows. This kind of an endeavor is beyond their scope. Sometimes that's bold and resembles a "necessary vision" or "change", or sometimes it's " do you have a damn clue what you're doing?" We won't know. I have my reservations with the NDP so I lean to the latter. So you and Viking may have a point, but so may I on this one. However, as I said, I'm a booze enthusiast and want our downtown to grow grow grow, so I want this to happen. I have told the few PC MLA's that I know that I want this to happen, not that it will help.

Furthermore, I'd be in favour of privatizing the MLCC. But he had to get elected. You can't go "full conservative" after 16 years NDP. I sympathize with that, and hope the coming years show more purpose.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 4:39 AM

The government should get out of retailing liquor. Anytime governments get involved in non-essential services they fundamentally hurt the economy; chasing away investment and restricting competition. All independent grocers should be able to sell liquor including Costco.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:36 AM

^I agree. I'm all for Hydro and MPI and those kind of services, by why retail? Why do cashiers at a liquor store need government worker benefits, pensions, union rules, etc.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:56 PM

TNS sure coming along now. Out of the ground in December is a sure bet.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 7:53 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't have the construction update pic, but parkade slab floor pour is underway. looks great.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't have the construction update pic, but parkade slab floor pour is underway. looks great.
Looks great!

[/url]True North Nov 30

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:30 PM

I've been watching those slab pours. Have yet to see a packer put onto the gravel they're placing below that slab, in the cam photos anyways. Unless they using those dinky plate packers. I assume its not a structural slab either. We'll see how it holds up over time. Slab on grade always get ugly, like basement floors in a home.

Also, I'm still impressed by that concrete pump boom.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:33 PM

Also kind of funny they're dumping gravel on the ramp and the excavator is bailing down into the hole.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I know it is really hard to tell from the distance we are at, but that poured floor doesn't look very thick. Hard to gauge though. Drew might have a better idea.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:21 PM
the first stamp is free

The lower parkade level P2 is a mostly a 6" slab on grade.

The floors above are structural and much thicker concrete.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:19 PM

View from City Place earlier this week facing west

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:38 PM

Thanks for the photos! Great view.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:14 AM

Impressive pace!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 6:35 PM

It's been interesting watching the crews dig the pit out after the recent storm. They've been piling snow on a glorified tarp and then hoist it out with one of the cranes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:41 AM

I'm surprised PCL has not figured out a way to empty the tarp directly in to the dump truck instead of dumping it on the ground and then using a loader to fill the dump truck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan