BANNED

CHIPS!

::::ALSOP

NEW ISLINGTON, MANCHESTER

Video Link

Video Link

www.urbansplash.co.uk/chips/

www.alsoparchitects.com/

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM. Reason: best proposal ever.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 5:23 AM
Registirred User

^the dancing bear in the second video is scary.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:02 AM
BANNED

I generally agree with the buildings you've listed Adrian, but I just can't get the appeal of Alsop. I don't understand the logic of making buildings that look like they are melted or built by three year olds and spray painted by some guy on acid.

Can you explain what you find so appealing in these designs for me because I just don't get it. What is the aesthetic rational behind this?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:01 AM

Alsop does something what I call "art-chitecture." Check out Alsop's web site. Alsop's building's are very much on the modern surreal or pop art side of things - almost more art than architecture. It's not for everyone, but it is somewhat interesting from an artistic, and maybe architectural standpoint.

http://www.alsoparchitects.com/

Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Alsop
Quote:
Alsop's buildings are usually distinguished by their vibrant use of bright colour and unusual forms. While Alsop has won praise from some critics and fans of avant-garde architecture, he has also faced criticism from fellow architects and some segments of the general public.
I see the criticism AdrianXSands and Alsop are facing here as well.

AdrianXSands, is avant-garde architecture generally what you like? If so, then I understand you better. You do realize this is stepping out of the mainstream, right? I have a good friend who's tastes are also a bit on the fringe in other things like music, movies, books, and other forms of pop culture. He is rather proud of what he likes that few others agree with. He also isn't shy to let everyone else know what he, but almost nobody else likes - more proud than most. I'm not really saying that is you, but I almost get that feeling from seeing what is happening here. You may correct me, if I am wrong.

Last edited by SFView; Feb 25, 2008 at 7:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:10 AM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:21 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 1:23 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i like good architecture;
really?, me too!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 1:29 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
i like good architecture; i am a fan of modernism; i am a fan of the chicago school; i am a fan of constructivism; i am a fan of functional design, whatever that may encompass...
architecure should be rational, organised, and have reason. otherwise it's not good. those are the rules according to me.
can you explain how these are rational, organized or have reason?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
i like good architecture; i am a fan of modernism; i am a fan of the chicago school; i am a fan of constructivism; i am a fan of functional design, whatever that may encompass...
architecure should be rational, organised, and have reason. otherwise it's not good. those are the rules according to me.
Yes, these are noble goals. There is also satisfying the needs and desires of the client, keeping the design and construction within budget, meeting all local codes, standards and statutes, winning the approval of local government agencies, community organizations, etc. Most buildings need to be usable, practical, reasonable, maintainable, safe and suitable to their local environment and situation. In other words, an architect’s design needs to satisfy many other people and concerns in order for a project to be successful and built. At least, it is this way in America.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:16 PM

Quote:

he's a moderist who doesn't adhere to any conventions or norms of what 'looks good'. his aesthetic is avant-garde and original, so what if people think it's 'ugly'. he's not crushing cups and turing it into 'architecture', while at the same time he's not obsessed with classical notions of proportions and beauty etc. his foundation is corbusier, mies, loos, and so on, yet he brings a crazy 21st century version of modern architecture to the table. he makes a cold miesian (not a bad thing mind you) box crazy, colorful, and fun. he's obsessed with the furture. and isn't originality a good thing? hmmm... if you're looking for one of the best examples of a form-follows-function approach to architecture, then you've found it in ALSOP. to me, he's like mies with a sense of humor.
I was just wondering what you mean by that? From what I've read about modern architecture, the international style practiced by Mies, and the order of Corbusier's French rationalism was a a return to order after the avant guards of expression, futurism and constructivism post WW1. One interesting analysis of Mies's work I read recently by an Oxford professor promulgated that Mies was one of the strictest practitioners of classical proportion. As were many of his contemporaries like Corbu, or Loos, who despite their clear innovation still drew upon their strict 19th century Beaux Art's scholarship, with it's heavy emphasis or neo classical proportion.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:22 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Money quote from the second CHIPS video - "The colorful things that spell sheer fun." This seems to me a good encapsulation of the Alsop aesthetic - colorful, fun - a break from the prim & cerebral, from the Teutonic - harmless bits of color, raising spirits in the drab English winter, like garden gnomes, or Teletubbies. His stuff brings out the inner child - It appeals to the senses but is not at all sexual - crazy, inventive & cutting edge, but still safe for the whole family.

And OMG - those videos are wacked out!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:26 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
1. too many professors like to analysis architecture. they clutter ideas up with esoteric theories about meaning and such. most of the time they're just wrong. other times they'll take things out of context and blow them way out of proportion. architecture is not art. you don't need to find meaning in ever little detail.
Meaning is what seperates good architecture from bad.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 7:33 PM
BANNED

ZHONG BANG VILLAGE
SHANGHAI
JEANNE GANG

The project challenges contemporary practices of residential construction in China. The proposed 'courtyard fabric' transforms a traditional typology to meet contemporary lifestyles. It is customized to respond to environmental conditions such as sun and wind, and to maximize social and recreational use of the ground plane. With ninety percent of the courtyard dwellings having semi-public and private courtyards, the remaining towers offer high rise living with unencumbered views while creating an identifiable landmark for the village.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:02 PM

Quote:
1. too many professors like to analysis architecture. they clutter ideas up with esoteric theories about meaning and such. most of the time they're just wrong. other times they'll take things out of context and blow them way out of proportion. architecture is not art. you don't need to find meaning in ever little detail.
2. i'm pretty sure loos HATED the beaux art's.
3. i think that book you read wanted you to belive something about mies that is only partially true.
4. modern architecture, put simply, is about creating a clean, functional, and honest building. i don't get you connection to the "19th century Beaux Art's scholarship"
and 5. doing things on a human scale and being a practitioner of classicism is a tough connection to accept, sorry.
well, it is a theme I've gotten from my reading. Meaning is important from architecture, you can't dismiss it if you don't like it, it's there, it's what the greats of architecture spent their lives searching for. Architectural style is not in a vacuum, so much of it depends of the schooling and ethos of those behind it. I just worry that people may forget the connections betweens various architectural eras, over the obvious differences.

In addition, Mies is one of my most admired architects and I've read a lot about him and his work, and what I mentioned is a recurring theme.

Last edited by Ducov; Feb 25, 2008 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:45 PM

I can I also say that architecture is art, it is the art that encapsulates all the others. It is the art of daily existence, they only art we all are forced into contact with every day and must interact with, consciously or subconsciously.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 3:26 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I really liked Denver's Trango Tower proposal:

(denverskyscrapers.com)

(denverskyscrapers.com)

This was part of the Conjuntive Points in L.A./Culver City(see earlier Arts Tower post)

(la.curbed)
It was to go over a garage, and the columns were even built for it, but it is a no-go

Nouvel's Tour Sans Fin, would have been the first European supertall, and a fantastic design for LD:

(eras.free.fr)

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture