HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4861  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:16 AM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Seems like there would be more hotel rooms considering the amount of tourism the city gets. The recent numbers of visitors in The Alamo City per year is right around 32.5 million or equivalent to the entire population of Canada. So that is almost 90,000 people visiting per day, so in short San Antonio is severely lacking in the hotel department.

Link providing details about visitors to San Antonio.
http://visitsanantonio.com/nttw
so 1 room for every two visitors seems acceptable - especially as SA is a family destination more than a business destination (both over-generalizations).

and that isn't factoring for how many of those visitors are day-trippers stopping at Sea World or Alamo or a Spurs game or whatever from the valley and austin and abilene, etc...

I've been a tourist in Austin 10 times in last two years and haven't stayed in a hotel once.
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4862  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:25 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
so 1 room for every two visitors seems acceptable - especially as SA is a family destination more than a business destination (both over-generalizations).

and that isn't factoring for how many of those visitors are day-trippers stopping at Sea World or Alamo or a Spurs game or whatever from the valley and austin and abilene, etc...

I've been a tourist in Austin 10 times in last two years and haven't stayed in a hotel once.
Yes, I know not everyone traveling to San Antonio is staying, a good part of them are passing through, seeing friends, family, ect. But it does seem like San Antonio is lacking even if half of the 90,000 visitors isn't staying. That equals to say 45,000 on average and there are what 47,000 hotel rooms as someone stated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4863  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:28 AM
JoninATX JoninATX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,869
Or another possibility that the total numbers of visitors maybe skewed. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4864  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:04 AM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
That's acutally the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Or another possibility that the total numbers of visitors maybe skewed. I could be wrong.
In reading the Rivard article I linked to, 32.5 million may be wildly overstated.

Regardless, hopefully getting the CVB our from under the city government will help. VistitSA!, (formerly the Convention and Visitors Bureau), is set to become a public/private non-profit over the next year and a half. Apparently we are the last, (what else in new?), of the top 50 visitor destinations in the U.S. to make this separation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4865  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:05 AM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 549
There are plenty of hotel rooms.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4866  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:46 PM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
There are plenty of hotel rooms.
This, based on occupancy rates, is ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

I even recall hearing the word "over-saturation" for the downtown market somewhat recently.
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4867  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:19 AM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,231

*from the Rivard Report

Part of the Solo Serve wall fell down and into the river today, the wall that was supposed to be saved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4868  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:50 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 551
[IMG]Solar Serve Demolition by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4869  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:51 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
And I agree, it's hideous during the day, at night, it actually looks better. Blue with white lettering.

I do wish they had found a better size/design/way of mounting, something, to make it look better during the day.
Agreed at night is better, but still not feeling a good fit for the billboard.[IMG]San Antonio Riverwalk by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4870  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:07 PM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Agreed at night is better, but still not feeling a good fit for the billboard.[IMG]San Antonio Riverwalk by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
1) It makes the tower look shorter.

2) I laugh at the irony of all of our whining about wanting to illuminate the skyline in some way...and then our whining that someone illuminated part of the skyline and we don't like it.
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4871  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:16 PM
STLtoSA's Avatar
STLtoSA STLtoSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

*from the Rivard Report

Part of the Solo Serve wall fell down and into the river today, the wall that was supposed to be saved.
They were not saving the part of the wall that fell down. I can't remember the number, but they are only planning on reusing the lower ~12'.

The article is a little off. The wall fell into the river/riverwalk because the working in the excavator took down a vertical support column hoping that a section of roof attached to a cross beam would come down with it. Well...the beam came down, but when the roof collapse it did not fall inward; some of it fell to the side knocking the wall down.

Prior to the collapse most of the River Wall had already been demolished.

The guy in the red shirt second from the right was the worker operating the excavator.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4872  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:23 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
They were not saving the part of the wall that fell down. I can't remember the number, but they are only planning on reusing the lower ~12'.

The article is a little off. The wall fell into the river/riverwalk because the working in the excavator took down a vertical support column hoping that a section of roof attached to a cross beam would come down with it. Well...the beam came down, but when the roof collapse it did not fall inward; some of it fell to the side knocking the wall down.

Prior to the collapse most of the River Wall had already been demolished.

The guy in the red shirt second from the right was the worker operating the excavator.
Thank you for clarifying!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4873  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:37 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
1) It makes the tower look shorter.

2) I laugh at the irony of all of our whining about wanting to illuminate the skyline in some way...and then our whining that someone illuminated part of the skyline and we don't like it.

Ahhhh, so maybe there is a lesson in life to be learned here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4874  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:52 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 551
[IMG]The Manhattan by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
I see the tree on the top of the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4875  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:00 PM
mklunder13 mklunder13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 71
There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4876  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:32 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.
When was the last time you were in SA? The Strip is a lot more than a couple of bars. It's grown and evolved tremendously in the last couple of years. Now, aside from the bars and music venues, those have even changed, there are some really good restaurants.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4877  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:41 PM
AwesomeSAView AwesomeSAView is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.

Sooo, why are you living out of the country if you think other U.S. cities have everything for their young people???

Just wondering......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4878  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:10 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.
Austin is the way it is because of its origin as a college town (yes, it's also the seat of state government, but only for a few months every two years). These kinds of things grow organically and take time and money.

The downtown nightlife scene now is better than it's ever been in my lifetime. With added density, it has the opportunity to improve.

Quote:
have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city.
Care to share a few?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4879  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:10 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
(yes, it's also the seat of state government, but only for a few months every two years).
A few months every two years is about the legislature only. There's a hell of a lot more about state government than just when the legislature decides to meet... And even the legislature has staff and functions that continue all year round. There's the governor (plus all the independently elected executives and boards) and the massive bureaucracies that they each helm. There's the state judiciary as well, as well as a very large federal government and legal industry presence due to much of the business there being directly or indirectly related to politics and government.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4880  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:54 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
A few months every two years is about the legislature only. There's a hell of a lot more about state government than just when the legislature decides to meet... And even the legislature has staff and functions that continue all year round. There's the governor (plus all the independently elected executives and boards) and the massive bureaucracies that they each helm. There's the state judiciary as well, as well as a very large federal government and legal industry presence due to much of the business there being directly or indirectly related to politics and government.
This is so incredibly beside the point I was making about the cultural influences of Austin, but thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.