HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
He means bc we have a Fox News obsessed governor that is making the state a regressive shit hole.
gotcha. eh i don't think that has been much of a hindrance for austin, dallas or houston drawing coastal relos

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:03 PM

To me this was always one of the weirder, maybe further fetched rumors out there. I know we've had a film industry of sorts here for several decades, but the rest of what I would consider major production infrastructure doesn't really exist here (agents, financing, major production facilities, etc). At the same time, the technology of media streaming itself doesn't seem to be one of Austin's core competencies. Obviously none of that precludes a move here (Musk moved all his stuff here without his own production infrastructure, for example) it just seems less likely.

At the same time, it's been proven we're not a bad place for all the standard HQ machinery (sales! hr! finance and accounting!) so I guess there's no real reason for it NOT to happen, too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:07 PM

The Netflix HQ rumor seemed to start a little before Netflix set up a filming studio here. The studio plans could have morphed into the HQ rumor.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:20 PM

Y'all should watch "Ultimatum" on Netflix. It's a love letter to Austin with drone shots galore.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
To me this was always one of the weirder, maybe further fetched rumors out there. I know we've had a film industry of sorts here for several decades, but the rest of what I would consider major production infrastructure doesn't really exist here (agents, financing, major production facilities, etc). At the same time, the technology of media streaming itself doesn't seem to be one of Austin's core competencies. Obviously none of that precludes a move here (Musk moved all his stuff here without his own production infrastructure, for example) it just seems less likely.

At the same time, it's been proven we're not a bad place for all the standard HQ machinery (sales! hr! finance and accounting!) so I guess there's no real reason for it NOT to happen, too.
I don't find it that strange. Netflix is not just considered a film industry company. It's also considered a tech company and is based in Silicon Valley. SV is not exactly a film industry mecca.

The film industry is pretty much LA, NYC...then everybody else. Among the everyone else, I believe Austin is near the top of the list as far as movie credits. (I can't remember where I saw that.) Also, the SXSW Film Fest, Austin Film Festival, ATX Television Festival, and Moontower Comedy Festival bring a lot of film and TV related people to Austin these days. Those folks aren't exactly going out of their way to be in Los Gatos, CA where the current Netflix HQ is.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I don't find it that strange. Netflix is not just considered a film industry company. It's also considered a tech company and is based in Silicon Valley. SV is not exactly a film industry mecca.

The film industry is pretty much LA, NYC...then everybody else. Among the everyone else, I believe Austin is near the top of the list as far as movie credits. (I can't remember where I saw that.) Also, the SXSW Film Fest, Austin Film Festival, ATX Television Festival, and Moontower Comedy Festival bring a lot of film and TV related people to Austin these days. Those folks aren't exactly going out of their way to be in Los Gatos, CA where the current Netflix HQ is.
The Austin film industry is shit. It's basically LA and Atlanta here in the US with a good amount in Louisiana and New Mexico but it's up and down there. We have walker Texas ranger. That's about it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
The Austin film industry is shit. It's basically LA and Atlanta here in the US with a good amount in Louisiana and New Mexico but it's up and down there. We have walker Texas ranger. That's about it.
I wasn't claiming that it was on the level of LA, but it is not shit:
https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/...ies_a_23493983

And before anyone over analyzes, yes, I know this isn't the most authoritative list to go by.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I wasn't claiming that it was on the level of LA, but it is not shit:
https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/...ies_a_23493983

And before anyone over analyzes, yes, I know this isn't the most authoritative list to go by.
This is an extremely silly/superficial metric. Here is a good one: https://staffmeup.com/setlife/TOP_CI..._TV_PRODUCTION

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
gotcha. eh i don't think that has been much of a hindrance for austin, dallas or houston drawing coastal relos
That was before the last 8-9 months. After SB8 and the transgender youth law, we are in a completely different reality in Texas (Austin included). Regardless of your personal feelings, those will be a HUGE hindrance in attracting relos, as well as attracting talent as a whole. They are extremely polarizing and no company wants to voluntarily impose those issues on their employees.

I say this as someone who works in talent acquisition in the tech space. It's a huge stain on our appeal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:23 PM

Long-vacant La Bare location in South Austin to become new nightlife venue

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...te/7295605001/

A long-vacant piece of real estate in a prominent Austin spot is set to become a nightlife venue later this year.

NoCo Hospitality has leased the property at 110 E. Riverside Drive, according to a representative. That spot was once home to La Bare, a male strip club. The new nightlife venue, currently unnamed, is planned to open in the fall.

The new tenants are planning a 12,000-square-foot venue. It will be designed by Fred Hubnik, the architect behind Austin spots like Whislers, Nickel City and Sour Duck Market.

The partners behind the hospitality group have experience in Austin nightlife: Charles Ferraro is co-owner of East Austin music venues Hotel Vegas and Volstead and wine bar LoLo, while Paolo Soriano co-owns the Rainey Street cocktail bar Reina. NoCo Hospitality opened downtown bar Higher Ground last year

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:23 AM

Austin's film scene is pretty decent. The difference between it and that of, say, Atlanta, is that ours is almost entirely centered around commercials and corporate videography, rather than shows and movies. It's not the best place for a career in filmmaking or anything, but there's a robust level of opportunity for independent work. Everyone is friendly and collaborative.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Austin's film scene is pretty decent. The difference between it and that of, say, Atlanta, is that ours is almost entirely centered around commercials and corporate videography, rather than shows and movies. It's not the best place for a career in filmmaking or anything, but there's a robust level of opportunity for independent work. Everyone is friendly and collaborative.
That’s true. Lots of Chevy truck commercials. But really, the best metric are the number of gigs in each market. We’ve lost so many talented people since they started screwing with the film incentives.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
That’s true. Lots of Chevy truck commercials. But really, the best metric are the number of gigs in each market. We’ve lost so many talented people since they started screwing with the film incentives.
I wonder if Matthew McConaughey were to become governor he would increase film incentives.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
I wonder if Matthew McConaughey were to become governor he would increase film incentives.
He needs the compliance of the ledg and Texas republicans can't stand incentives for the film industry. They almost eliminated it completely one year until Abbott was able to get some of it back during house/senate budget reconciliation.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 2:25 PM

Perhaps another HQ from San Fran might be migrating to the ATX. Time will tell.

https://apnews.com/article/elon-musk...3637ac336c367a

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Perhaps another HQ from San Fran might be migrating to the ATX. Time will tell.

https://apnews.com/article/elon-musk...3637ac336c367a
Ugh. Musk needs to stay in his lane.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:17 PM

He's bored.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
He's bored.
He doesn't like the power of journalists. He wants anyone to be able to say whatever they want to drown out valid criticism so no one knows what is true. Anyone calling Russian state media "free speech" is not making a good faith argument.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
He doesn't like the power of journalists. He wants anyone to be able to say whatever they want to drown out valid criticism so no one knows what is true. Anyone calling Russian state media "free speech" is not making a good faith argument.
This is all an elaborate scheme to get that Twitter account taken down that tracks Elon’s flights.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:32 PM

I see a California vs. Musk like situation coming to Austin soon.

Unfortunately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin