HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Rock blasting though...
But yea, if Route 7 were twinned, I’d definitely stop by SJ too, instead of driving straight from Freddy to Moncton (then Halifax).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Admittedly it is my gut feel; but to me it feels like Route 7 should be fully twinned. Two major (in the Maritime sense) cities that are that close together and DON'T have a direct fully highway route linking them together doesn't seem right. Were the route in place I do expect it would quickly grow teh traffic numbers to really make it worthwhile if it wasn't close already
We call that induced demand.

However, the traffic numbers really don't support it and statistically speaking I believe the highway is quite safe. It would be a colossal waste of money for practically no gain.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Rock blasting though...
But yea, if Route 7 were twinned, I’d definitely stop by SJ too, instead of driving straight from Freddy to Moncton (then Halifax).
I don't quite get this. Having to travel ~55 km on a two lane road with not a lot of traffic prevents you from going to SJ?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
We call that induced demand.

However, the traffic numbers really don't support it and statistically speaking I believe the highway is quite safe. It would be a colossal waste of money for practically no gain.
Assuming that we leave the section through CFB as is, I wonder if anyone entertains the idea of turning Oromocto and Geary into bedroom communities of Fredericton, and Welsford into that of SJ.

Quote:
I don't quite get this. Having to travel ~55 km on a two lane road with not a lot of traffic prevents you from going to SJ?
Good question. On paper I might not like it, but in practice I might be okay, as long as there are no slow cars in front me preventing me from doing 120 km/h.

That’s just me though. Not every ontarian driver is like this. JHikka can confirm (the last half).

I was planning to check out SJ too the 2nd time I drove to Halifax, but then due to time and budget constraint, my friend who was travelling with me cut it out. We didn’t bother with P.E.I. either (though I already went the first time I checked out Atlantic Canada).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Assuming that we leave the section through CFB as is, I wonder if anyone entertains the idea of turning Oromocto and Geary into bedroom communities of Fredericton, and Welsford into that of SJ.
Absolutely not. Runaway sprawl has already become completely ridiculous south of Fredericton, and all the growth we're seeing in the city would be completely jeopardized.

We also need to remember the scale of this. These places are really far away, and it only makes sense if we're intentionally trying to emulate the worst development patterns of the last 50 years. No way.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:15 PM

Eyeballing the map, the better solution might be to twin the 7 to Geary and from Welsford to SJ eventually.... And then look into upgrading/twinning the 101.

That route doesn't go into the Base lands and does visit villages along the way for the cost of a slightly longer route. (7km longer according to google maps)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Good question. On paper I might not like it, but in practice I might be okay, as long as there are no slow cars in front me preventing me from doing 120 km/h.
There are quite a few places to pass, including a few dedicated passing lanes on uphill portions.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue
That’s just me though. Not every ontarian driver is like this. JHikka can confirm (the last half).
I'm from SJ so if i'm driving out east it's very likely i'm driving to SJ anyway. It makes zero sense for me to drive from Fredericton to Sussex, cut through Route 10, and then take the twinned Route 1 from Sussex to SJ. There's nothing bad and scary about a non-twinned highway (Ontario has plenty of them, Quebec has them too), and it seems very odd to me that people decide to go places dependent on whether or not they have twinned highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Eyeballing the map, the better solution might be to twin the 7 to Geary and from Welsford to SJ eventually.... And then look into upgrading/twinning the 101.
Twinning from Oromocto to Geary is the only acceptable upgrades I can see on this route in the near future. If anything, an improved 7/TCH interchange would be nice.

Don't think the 101 has the traffic or growth to warrant any considerable upgrades.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh I actually meant the speeding part, oops. Of course path of least resistance.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Oh I actually meant the speeding part, oops. Of course path of least resistance.
I won't publicly admit how fast I drive on NB's very well-engineered and very sparsely used highways.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I won't publicly admit how fast I drive on NB's very well-engineered and very sparsely used highways.
Alright then I feel less guilty doing 20% over the speed limit too. FrAnKs mentioned something similar for his video on N.B.-2 on youtube as well.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
and it seems very odd to me that people decide to go places dependent on whether or not they have twinned highways.
I often seek out two lane highways. If I'm driving to Montreal, chances are I cross into the US at Vanceboro, take route 6 to I95, then cut across Maine on various backroads and cross into Quebec at Coburn Gore. The only time spent on divided highways is about 10 min on I95 and then the stretch from Sherbrooke to Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I often seek out two lane highways. If I'm driving to Montreal, chances are I cross into the US at Vanceboro, take route 6 to I95, then cut across Maine on various backroads and cross into Quebec at Coburn Gore. The only time spent on divided highways is about 10 min on I95 and then the stretch from Sherbrooke to Montreal.
It's not uncommon for me on the drive from Toronto to London to only touch the 401 from highway 6 to old highway 97, approximately 30km worth. Even driving the work truck (tractor trailer), I like getting off at Drumbo and going in to east London on the back roads.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

N.S.-104 Twinning Contract Awarded

“Dexter Nova Alliance was selected from a short list of three firms.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ance-1.5446635

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:19 PM

I was under the impression they were not building any bridges for the remaining twinning work to be completed. I drove the 11 yesterday and crews were hard at work on the early stages of bridge construction over the first river crossing (not sure of the name of the river). I assume this may be the only one they are doing but nice to see at least one bridge under construction.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I was under the impression they were not building any bridges for the remaining twinning work to be completed. I drove the 11 yesterday and crews were hard at work on the early stages of bridge construction over the first river crossing (not sure of the name of the river). I assume this may be the only one they are doing but nice to see at least one bridge under construction.
The road beds leading up to that river crossing have already been built as well. On the Apple maps app, you can see what I mean. I’m happy that they will be building this.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I BELIEVE that is the Shediac river, by Chez Leos. That bridge is a short span. The Cocagne river is a much wider span, AKA, EXPENSIVE.

I still did not figure out when the tender was called for this work

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Feb 6, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 10:13 PM

Interesting. My mother and my aunt both live in Shediac Bridge right by the highway and they are under the impression the bridge isn't getting twinned as well.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 12:20 AM

Regarding the Route 11; The Shediac River Bridge will be build they are working on it as we speak, the Cocagne River Bridge will not. Simple.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Regarding the Route 11; The Shediac River Bridge will be build they are working on it as we speak, the Cocagne River Bridge will not. Simple.
Thank you. I think the confusion stems from the fact that when the Higgs government announced they would revive twinning 11 they said no new bridges would be built. Now we find out a bridge is being built. This does make sense to me as now the road will revert back to two lanes for only one bridge and not two, which will be much better for traffic flow.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Feb 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces